Corvair Carbs Value $ (found in a strange place)

Anything Corvair related
Wittsend

Corvair Carbs Value $ (found in a strange place)

Post by Wittsend »

I went to the Mopar Spring Fling in Van Nuys today. As I walked through the swap area I glanced at a table with carburetors. Something caused me to glance back and I noticed two Corvair carbs still attached to the cross shaft. Corvair parts at a Mopar swap??? As best I can tell they were '62/'63 carbs based on the symmetrical cluster arms (BTW, both the same number) and the choke pull-off (I have '61, manual chokes, so to me they stood out).

Anyway, I know they aren't the most desired carbs and some of you have scores of them tossed in a box. I have none. When I was looking for matching clusters I'd have been thrilled to have these. So what is a reasonable value to pay for both carbs with the cross shaft..., especially for as guy who has zero spare parts?
'61 Lakewood in a coma for 50 years - now has a pulse
American Mel

Re: Corvair Carbs Value $ (found in a strange place)

Post by American Mel »

"So what is a reasonable value to pay for both carbs with the cross shaft..., especially for as guy who has zero spare parts?"

Well, Clark's seems to think a single 62'-63' CORE is worth $190.oo!

A couple years ago, I paid $100, or $75, I really can't remember for certain, but I got 8 carbs and two cross-shafts.
WHAT'S REASONABLE?
What ever you are willing to pay, is the short answer.
Did you get them?
What did you give?
Currently own: '66Monza Coupe, '67Monza Vert, '67A/C Monza Sport Sedan
Have owned: '61Monza Coupe, '62Monza Wagon, '63Spyder, '65 Corsa
Loc: WA, One mile south of Canadian border.
Wittsend

Post by Wittsend »

The guy started at $40 for the set (2 carbs, cross over shaft). I stood there a second contemplating and said, "$20" (figuring he'd counter) and he immediately said "Yes." He wasn't even sure what they were for. It was a Mopar show/swap and he just seemed glad to get rid of them. Said he got them with a "bunch" of carburetors.
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

That is the right kind of price.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

Biggie is what kind of condition are the throttle and choke shafts. If they're sloppy, I wouldn't bother with them. Tight is a bonus and especially if the cross shaft is tight. Dennis
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Throttle shafts are almost always loose. You just replace them.
Northlake, TX
jimbrandberg

Post by jimbrandberg »

My philosophy for several years now has been Corvair parts aren't worth anything until someone needs something.
Every Corvair I work on seems to come with one or more boxes of random crap. I don't throw away many carburetors in case I need something but I don't often pay anything for them either. 62-63 carburetors are good for 140 Secondaries when wanting an idle circuit since the 64 and up improvements are not necessary.
Grant Young can use core carburetors but I'm afraid to give them up while I'm actively working on a lot of cars.
When connected together they are easy to carry around for the rest of the swap meet and make you instantly identifiable to other Corvair officianados in the crowd and they're good for poking people in the ... to move them along.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

jimbrandberg wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:01 am My philosophy for several years now has been Corvair parts aren't worth anything until someone needs something.
Every Corvair I work on seems to come with one or more boxes of random crap. I don't throw away many carburetors in case I need something but I don't often pay anything for them either. 62-63 carburetors are good for 140 Secondaries when wanting an idle circuit since the 64 and up improvements are not necessary.
Grant Young can use core carburetors but I'm afraid to give them up while I'm actively working on a lot of cars.
When connected together they are easy to carry around for the rest of the swap meet and make you instantly identifiable to other Corvair officianados in the crowd and they're good for poking people in the ... to move them along.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com
Well said Jim.
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

I agree on value vs need. Old saying "time between throwing something away and desperately needing it - about two weeks". On throttle shafts, while many say usually throttle shafts wear before the body, that wasn't the case I found. new shafts and there was still slop. Slop = vacuum leak. I recently took parts from a '66 boneyard Corvair and thought about the carbs, two negatives: they were frozen up (and if the outside looks bad, what does the INSIDE look like), and price was like 45.00 EACH. PASS. I am considering going back for the 2 speed wiper motor and switch (different subject). Dennis
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

The bodies do wear but it is rare in my experience that you need more than shafts. I'm sure as time marches on bodies will wear more. Mine does.
Northlake, TX
Richard

Post by Richard »

>>I went to the Mopar Spring Fling in Van Nuys today. <<

I was there, but didn't bother going into the swap meet section. The turn out of Mopars was the smallest I've seen. I'd guess 1/3 of the 500 cars that CPW - Chrysler Performance West expected .

I talked to a guy that drove his '05 Magnum HEMI RT down from Washington. He took it on the track at the Willow Springs track day event on Thursday. Honestly, my highlight of the show, that had a couple of wing cars and 6-pack cars.
I'm thinking I should have passed on it and gotten to my grandkids Track & Field event earlier.
Wittsend

Post by Wittsend »

I've been going to this show/swap for over 30 years (there are Spring and Fall events). And, yes, it is about half the size it use to be back in the 90's, at least the swap area. But admission is free and the distance is half of that to Pomona or Long Beach. Just gas, parking and admission to Pomona approaches $50 and you haven't even bought anything. I find regardless of the featured manufacturer at car shows there are a lot of generic items one can apply to any car.

Return to “Corvair Talk”