? About LM Verts

All Models and Years
Monzaguy

? About LM Verts

Post by Monzaguy »

Are there any kits available for stiffening the unibody on a LM. Or has anyone come up with a way they have done it? Got to thinking about it after my last trip under my 65 vert. I have some NE rust under there and trying to clean it up. Was wondering if there is a way to get ahead of the game. Thankfully my rockers still seem decent. Thanks, Mark
American Mel

Re: ? About LM Verts

Post by American Mel »

There are no "Kits" available to my knowledge.
But, some guys have created their own stiffening sub-frames.
Might need to do some deep searches to find them though.
Currently own: '66Monza Coupe, '67Monza Vert, '67A/C Monza Sport Sedan
Have owned: '61Monza Coupe, '62Monza Wagon, '63Spyder, '65 Corsa
Loc: WA, One mile south of Canadian border.
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

No kits available. All the structure is in the double-wall rockers, and torque boxes at each end. Torque boxes include structure inside the cowl vent and hinge pillar. If those are in good shape you should be in ok shape.
We will have to wait and see if anyone responds with any kind of supplemental reinforcement schemes.
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Chevy galvanized the front and rear floor frame boxes, unfortunately they did NOT galvanize the extra bracing in the rockers and end boxes. Even dry state cars will have some rust in these areas. Surface rust is acceptable. Once the rust really progresses you have a "flexy flyer".

I have only seen one convertible with braces. It was a mid engine conversion and some of the bracing ran across the door openings so you had to have the top down to get in easily. Worked, but not practical for a daily driver, IMHO.

I only know of one rust bucket LM convertible were the owner literally dismantled part of the car to fix all the structural corrosion issues. This was a very rare Canadian built Corsa Convertible!!! The workmanship was amazing per the pictures posted. Literally all corroded sheet steel was replaced and the car was reassembled!! The cost was huge, but it sold for a big number.

Note there is a more robust braces in front of the windshield and by the engine air inlet. Also a diagonal brace in each fender area behind the rear door post in addition to the convertible top braces. The front lower brace under the floor pan were the floor angles up behind the gas tank is double walled unlike the single wall fixed roof cars. A number of these extra pieces are water traps.
Monzaguy

Post by Monzaguy »

Thanks for all the structural information. Would be neat if such a thing existed though, might save alot of verts.
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Roll cage.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”