shocks and springs 65 Corsa

All Models and Years
2LZ

Re: shocks and springs 65 Corsa

Post by 2LZ »

chris wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:22 am I installed the Clark's regular shocks in my car (LM coupe and previously in a LM 4 door). Of course, they're great quality and were easy to install. For being the regular (not gas) shocks, they were a bit stiffer than I anticipated but I'm okay with that.
Been doing a lot of reading on this, as well. I'll be replacing the shocks and some other "under items" once I get her running.
I've read that since the Corvair front end is so light, one of the Guru's long ago recommended Clark's gas shocks on the rear, and Clark's standard oil-filled shock on the front. Any thoughts or recommendations on this?? :dontknow:
"Light a fire for a man, and you heat him for a day. Light a man on fire, and you heat him for the rest of his life."
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

2LZ wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:18 am
chris wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:22 am I installed the Clark's regular shocks in my car (LM coupe and previously in a LM 4 door). Of course, they're great quality and were easy to install. For being the regular (not gas) shocks, they were a bit stiffer than I anticipated but I'm okay with that.
Been doing a lot of reading on this, as well. I'll be replacing the shocks and some other "under items" once I get her running.
I've read that since the Corvair front end is so light, one of the Guru's long ago recommended Clark's gas shocks on the rear, and Clark's standard oil-filled shock on the front. Any thoughts or recommendations on this?? :dontknow:
The problem with talking about Clark's shocks is they have sold different types and brands over the years.

I have the Clark's adjustables and like them, BUT --- Clark's had an exclusive offer with Gabriel to make the manually adjustable shocks, but Gabriel stopped making them!! So that option is gone. I have the adjustables on my 4 door and convertible. The 4 door is EXTRA FIRM in the rear and FIRM up front. Front and rear respond the same to bumps. Good ride and handling, but a little too much harness on poor roads. On the convertible, having a less rigid body, I use FIRM in the rear and REGULAR up front. Boulevard ride, soaks up bumps, but not too soft. Sadly I bought one of the last sets on a Clark's close-out for spares.

Point is --- if someone does not specify WHAT brand and TYPE of Clark's shocks they have on their car, then it difficult to make comparisons.
chris

Post by chris »

My experience is only with their newer ones (not the former Red Rider or adjustable Stryder). Part number C2819 and C2820.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”