Alternator swap?

All Models and Years
Lane66Monza

Re: Alternator swap?

Post by Lane66Monza »

Eric: get the specs on that indicator. see what kind of draw it is using. If digital, probably less than half amp, but over time it adds up along with your bluetooth radio keep alive memory circuit.

If you have something clicking, then you have a solenoid or relay pulling in when battery is connected. Find out what you added to the battery power circuit and see if you can move it to the IGN controlled circuit.
Al Lane
Southeast Georgia
1966 Coupe 110 4 spd
1966 More Door 110 PG FOR SALE
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

A couple of years ago my AAA membership sent out a notice that the new cars have so many "parasitic" electrical items that folks would go on vacation with the car parked at the airport and 2-3 weeks later they would return and find a discharged battery and the car would not start. Of course AAA would get a call to fix it.
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

If you want to get "all fancy" and measure the actual drain, be aware that this test is the absolute fastest way to fry an ammeter. Required time to fry is under 0.1 seconds; maybe closer to 0.01 seconds.

The best way is to obtain a 1-ohm resistor (10 or 20 watt rating), put some clips on it so you can insert it inline and then measure VOLTAGE across the 1-ohm resistor. It's really hard (not really) to calculate the amps. The conversion is one to one! 1-volt = 1 amp. .01 volts is .01 amps and so on. The general rule is a maximum parasitic drain of 30 milliamps. On the handy-dandy, that would be .03 volts.
DSCF7108.JPG
Measure battery drain.jpg
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

I really can't speak for the below zero weather, but in Florida if you get three years out of a battery, you're lucky. Even OEM batteries in new vehicles are luck to get 3 years. And that's with regular use. Dennis
Lane66Monza

Post by Lane66Monza »

My April 2018 Silverado factory battery (bought truck in May 2018) went to August 2023 with 71k miles. Used in Georgia mainly and stored in carport majority of the time when not on the road. Typical battery kept out of the sun and cold should make the same. NOt saying the same for the cheap batteries . Unfortunately, No way a FLAPS will touch my truck's replacement battery as it has a major distribution panel sitting over the battery. So a new factory ($230) battery was installed by the dealer. Dealer warned me 6 months earlier it had an issue due to a code they found when doing the oil service on the truck 6 months earlier.

Regarding the battery install, it didn't cost us anything. Donna contacted VP after we experienced a brake issue following service. The service included specific instructions to inspect brake pads due to poor braking coming back from Helen, GA. I got another month of use after the service and then we heard the front brakes squealing. I got new pads and immediately installed them myself. No easy task for a 69 year man hefting those 285/45/22 tires/wheels back on the truck. Shwe took the truck to the dealer to get the battery along with the old pads and sales receipt. The VP was responsive to her request to compensate us for their error and major safety issue they created. The VP ensured they replaced battery with labor borne by the Service Center, as I had the truck in previously for brake inspection and mechanic said I had 5 mm pad left on the fronts. He apologized for their mechanic not properly chercking all pads. The mechanic incorrectly posted on work order remaining front pads thickness was 5mm. The truth was they were outsides were 5 mm, insides were worn out.

Sorry about the length, but you have to fight you financial battles every day with vendors,when you find them happening. You can't just accept that they make mistakes and you will just continue paying for their mistakes. This is just an example where it worked for as battery. Install cost was another $200.
Al Lane
Southeast Georgia
1966 Coupe 110 4 spd
1966 More Door 110 PG FOR SALE
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

cnicol wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:52 pm If you want to get "all fancy" and measure the actual drain, be aware that this test is the absolute fastest way to fry an ammeter. Required time to fry is under 0.1 seconds; maybe closer to 0.01 seconds.

The best way is to obtain a 1-ohm resistor (10 or 20 watt rating), put some clips on it so you can insert it inline and then measure VOLTAGE across the 1-ohm resistor. It's really hard (not really) to calculate the amps. The conversion is one to one! 1-volt = 1 amp. .01 volts is .01 amps and so on. The general rule is a maximum parasitic drain of 30 milliamps. On the handy-dandy, that would be .03 volts.
DSCF7108.JPG
Measure battery drain.jpg
Good tip Craig. I've used 1 ohm 1% tolerance power resistors for years to check amperage. On high amperage systems I have to use 0.1 or 0.001 ohm power resistors to avoid excess power drops through the resistor.
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

I just install my own batteries.... I don't trust other people.... :clap:

A better way is with a DC clamp on meter, as it requires no opening of the circuit. This is handy when checking for modules going to sleep on modern cars. But, yes, they will set you back ~$100. Or $300... Ouch!

That 1 ohm resistor works well, also .1, .01 etc.. There are also shunts (what that resistor is functioning as) you can find at Hamfests (amateur radio flea markets or ebay) that are rated for x current will read as y volts. Hmm, I see Amazon has them too. :clap:

Have you seen the chart for voltage drop across ATM and ATC fuses? Just read the voltage and get current! I had them from one of those Trade Mags that shops get about 20 years ago. Here is a link to Roadkill's charts:

https://m.roadkillcustoms.com/how-to-pe ... draw-test/

Too bad, their "Cartridge Fuse" chart is not for our 1/4" fuses. But the other charts are handy for your new fuse boxes.

Fluke meters have fuses. Very expensive fuses..... :rolling: But cheaper than a new meter when trying to measure the current of the AC line! Flukes will let you try to measure the resistance of the AC line without smoke. DAMHIK....
:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”