Working on the Corvair again.

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
sethracer

Working on the Corvair again.

Post by sethracer »

Wonder of wonders, I actually did work on my Corvair today. (65 Monza 140 4-speed). This morning I drove it over to Mel's VairMart in Santa Clara, CA and put it up on his lift for a few hours. Since it had been sitting for 15 years when I got it, I had already gone through most of the systems about 18 months age, all new fuel system, tank to carbs. I even put new plug wires on it! All new brakes hoses, wheel cylinders, linings, etc. I put a new shifter (3-speed) on the 4-speed and all new tube and couplers. But I had noticed when I did the oil change, that there was a dent in the pan. Not deep and not a hole, (and not one leak!) but "unsightly". So, today was installation of a few parts, four new shock absorbers and a nice clean pan. I used John Sweets gasket and a new WIX filter. I had noticed a bit of "looseness"-wandering/play in the steering, and it already had the nylon bushing in the relay rod. So, today I popped out the plug in the trunk, loosened the lock nut and "tweaked" the adjustment screw a little on the steering box. It was a little loose. "was" - I took up slack and tightened everything back up. I packed up my tools and drove my truck home. I was dropped back an hour later and took a nice drive home. The shocks are tight and the steering is like new. (Still standard ratio, but really stable) As of a few hours later, no leaks from the pan or filter. So far so good. I still have a punch list of things I want to do if I decide to keep the car. First thing will be a new speaker for the AM-FM - although electrically fine, it sounds like crap. I do have a list.
Corvair Enthusiast.
Nashfan

Re: Working on the Corvair again.

Post by Nashfan »

That must have been kind of fun for you to build up a set of your excellent plug wires
for your own car for once! :tu: :tu: :tu:
66vairguy

Re: Working on the Corvair again.

Post by 66vairguy »

Well I'm inspired. Finally a warm day here so I'm going out to the garage to do some Corvair work.

Keep up the good work Seth.

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”