Changiing Wiper Arms and/or Blades

All Models and Years
RexJohnson

Re: Changiing Wiper Arms and/or Blades

Post by RexJohnson »

I have a tool, I believe Snap-On that just reaches over the front of the arm with a built in little hook and then the 4'' or so of the rest of the tool lays down across the spring loaded end of the arm. When you grip the tool and the arm you disable the spring tension and then you can just lift and giggle it up and off. No need to touch the body at all.
RJ Tools Salem, OR
69 conv pulling a 66 trailer
2LZ

Post by 2LZ »

Just did this yesterday. I wrap a screwdriver in a rag....but keep touch up paint near by.
"Light a fire for a man, and you heat him for a day. Light a man on fire, and you heat him for the rest of his life."
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

There are a number of ways and lousy tools to do it WRONG and damage things.

Right here in the forum DIY section is an article by the folks at SCC in Torrance, Ca.

Shows what tool works and HOW to use it. It works well. See PDF in viewtopic.php?p=125018&hilit=wiper#p125018
monza66mo
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by monza66mo »

Those plier-style removers look cool. Last year, I had to remove my wiper arms and got an el-cheep-o tool at NAPA. It's a simple pry tool that looks kinda like a bottle opener.

Art in Missouri
doug6423

Post by doug6423 »

Since this is revived thread...

Is there another wiper arm available besides the Chrome for a LM?? I'm tired of the sun blinding me and have considered blasting and painting them.

Thanks,
Doug
65 Monza
Cincinnati, OH
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

doug6423 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:25 am Since this is revived thread...

Is there another wiper arm available besides the Chrome for a LM?? I'm tired of the sun blinding me and have considered blasting and painting them.

Thanks,
Doug
In 66 GM went to the brushed stainless arms and wiper blades (probably due to upcoming safety regulations). I have those on my 66 and I've never had a reflection problem. Years ago someone complained about GM going from polished SS to brushed SS wipers in 66 (the polished do look nice), but many replied about the "blinding glare" problem with the 65 wipers. So it seems the 66 change was practical.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

monza66mo wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:14 am Those plier-style removers look cool. Last year, I had to remove my wiper arms and got an el-cheep-o tool at NAPA. It's a simple pry tool that looks kinda like a bottle opener.

It seems EVERYONE uses that tool incorrectly (including myself). Actually it works fine IF YOU DON'T USE IT TO PRY the wiper arm. The tool instructions are garbage!!!!!!!!!! Once I learned how to use it I found it is easy, almost no pressure and the arm usually lifts off easy. Sometimes you have to wiggle the wiper arm a little if corroded, but I've never had a problem getting one off with the tool.

SCC had a garage tech session to show folks how to use the tool and then an article was done. It's here and on the SCC site.
RexJohnson

Post by RexJohnson »

The tool shown is like the Snap-On one I was talking about except the one I have is all one piece. I don't know why the hook would need to move. What is great about the tool is that you can use it to put the arms back on easily. You can easily just push them on without the tool but alot of the time they move slightly when going on and now you need to remove them and start over. With the spring taken out of the equation it is easy to put them on and lined up the first time.
RJ Tools Salem, OR
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

RexJohnson wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:39 pm The tool shown is like the Snap-On one I was talking about except the one I have is all one piece. I don't know why the hook would need to move. What is great about the tool is that you can use it to put the arms back on easily. You can easily just push them on without the tool but alot of the time they move slightly when going on and now you need to remove them and start over. With the spring taken out of the equation it is easy to put them on and lined up the first time.
Absolutely. Much easier to line up the arm. Good suggestion.
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

I have both types, the moveable hook and the fixed hook. The fixed hook one has a hook of different size at the the other end!

I use it by laying it on the arm, hooking under the pivot point away from the arm and then squeezing. Is this the wroing method? Works for me! And works for installing also, like said above.
:tu: :chevy: :02: :burnout:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Frank DuVal wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:48 am I have both types, the moveable hook and the fixed hook. The fixed hook one has a hook of different size at the the other end!

I use it by laying it on the arm, hooking under the pivot point away from the arm and then squeezing. Is this the wroing method? Works for me! And works for installing also, like said above.
:tu: :chevy: :02: :burnout:
I think you've got it. The mistake folks make is PUSHING DOWN ON THE HANDLE. The correct method is to gently pull the wiper arm UP to the tool handle, or squeeze them together. Very little effort required and once the tension of the arm is off the windshield the wiper part the fits on the splined stud is LOOSE. Yup - only the wiper arm spring tension holds the wiper onto the splined shaft. Seems too simple, but anyone who has tried to PRY that part off the splined shaft knows how well it does hold!
RexJohnson

Post by RexJohnson »

The tool I have is also double ended. I thought it might be to confusing to mention that. I have not figured out why there needs to 2 ends but options are always good.
RJ Tools Salem, OR
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

RexJohnson wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:56 am The tool I have is also double ended. I thought it might be to confusing to mention that. I have not figured out why there needs to 2 ends but options are always good.
It is why the one tool has the loose part on the lever to accommodate the different GM wiper arm designs.
2LZ

Post by 2LZ »

doug6423 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:25 am Since this is revived thread...

Thanks,
Doug
I have new arms coming in from CA Corvair. There are almost no other options out there. I was looking for black. I had to order the "bright" and I think I'll plasti-dip them black if the surface isn't conducive to adhering paint.
"Light a fire for a man, and you heat him for a day. Light a man on fire, and you heat him for the rest of his life."
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

2LZ wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:46 pm
I have new arms coming in from CA Corvair. There are almost no other options out there. I was looking for black. I had to order the "bright" and I think I'll plasti-dip them black if the surface isn't conducive to adhering paint.
Calif Corvair shows USED wiper arms. The 1965-69 picture is actually the 1965 ONLY with polished stainless and chrome.

The 1966-69 were brushed finish. I've never had a reflection problem with these.
Attachments
DSCN6505.JPG
tricordati

Post by tricordati »

You can get it on Amazon.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”