The Snowball Effect

Anything Corvair related
vairmech

The Snowball Effect

Post by vairmech »

I purchased a 62 8 door FC. It's a pretty clean van, one of the best I have ever owned. I purchased after talking with the owner and just seeing pictures and a couple I specifically asked for, then had it shipped here.

After the van arrived I drove it and immediately noticed it needed carb work but also there was a gear whine. Well, I then did some carb work and the engine performed very well. but the gear whine was still there. I planned to build a diff and trans so I could just swap out when I got he time to work on it. Oh the clutch had the rumble when you let the clutch out so I also planned on doing the clutch. But then there is also brakes that need attention, new shoes, rebuilt wheel cylinders, self adjusters, rubber lines and a dual master cyl. 2 new brake lines.

But when I get old flywheel off I see oil, Rats. It's the front main seal! So the bellhousing needs to come off!

So I get that all back together with the new flywheel and clutch parts including a new pilot bushing, I think someone put grease in there and it dried up.

Whew, I'm almost done, BUT Noooo. I see an oil leak, on a Corvair???? The engine looked pretty dry when I looked in the damper doors. I decided to pull out the pushrod tubes that looked to be leaking. What did I find? I found old hard rubber stud o-rings and then the push tubes had silicone o-rings, they weren't sealing!

If you can't tell, the pictures confirm that this is an 80hp FC engine. The small springs and the valve rotators give it away. While I had the push tube out I blew all of the fuzz from the insulation off the engine, this is why GM says to lean the oil cooler of debris.

Now that I have the fuzz out of the engine I will now deflash the heads but that is future work after I get the rest of the other details buttoned up. Now the kicker, I want to drive this van to Florida to the WFCC Corvair Lovers Holiday in about a weeks time. OH, one more thing to fix. I need to bolt this triangle plate through the seam. The spot welds let go and it flexes when you turn the steering wheel. Whew!!

And still to go, tires, title transfer and plates.
Ken Hand
248 613 8586
vairmech@aol.com
Corsa Past President
Corvanatics Vice Prez
Chair 2007 Detroit Convention
Co-chair 2014 Tacoma Convention
erco

Re: The Snowball Effect

Post by erco »

WOW! Big job, good thing it's in your capable hands. Enjoy your trip in your "new" Corvair van.
gbullman

Post by gbullman »

I give you credit for sticking to what needs to be done, I often drift into the “might as well” lane when I encounter stuff like this. Hope it all works out the first time and you enjoy your trip!
Gary Bullman
66 Corsa Convertible
Phil Dally

Post by Phil Dally »

Mouse in the House...we know you're having fun Ken!!
CA Central Coast
Vairy V8 Rides Again.
LA Angels fan since 1978
World Series Champs 2002
Only Own 10 Corvairs Today
Been Associated With Fifty!!
toms73novass

Post by toms73novass »

:tu: It’s in good hands.

I always go down the rabbit hole.. My wife calls it “Tomification”
1962 700 Wagon
1963 Spyder convertable
1965 Monza
1967 UltraVan 211
vairmech

Post by vairmech »

gbullman wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:20 am I give you credit for sticking to what needs to be done, I often drift into the “might as well” lane when I encounter stuff like this. Hope it all works out the first time and you enjoy your trip!
I thought about going down that rabbit hole but I had to tell myself about the time limit and do what is needed, not what I want to do! I did go so far as to add a bushing in the shifter and repair the shift coupler.
If I would have found anything else in the engine I would be putting an engine together! I have some .060 forged TRW's all measured and balanced and cylinders. I also have the rods ready, balanced and ready to install. I could have done it but I thoroughly had a rebuilt engine also , but I do not like to take a new engine on a long trip. Not because I don't trust my own work but it is not good for the engine overall.
Ken Hand
248 613 8586
vairmech@aol.com
Corsa Past President
Corvanatics Vice Prez
vairmech

Post by vairmech »

I even forgot to mention that I have new ball joints, shocks and of course my FC front springs but I'm not going to get the chance to work on that this time around!
Ken Hand
248 613 8586
vairmech@aol.com
Corsa Past President
Corvanatics Vice Prez
Wagon Master

Post by Wagon Master »

Are you talking Florida, Michigan, Florida, Ohio or Florida, Florida?
erco

Post by erco »

Wagon Master wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:34 am Are you talking Florida, Michigan, Florida, Ohio or Florida, Florida?
https://www.corvair.org/index.php?optio ... 445&id=390
vairmech

Post by vairmech »

erco wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:06 pm
Wagon Master wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:34 am Are you talking Florida, Michigan, Florida, Ohio or Florida, Florida?
https://www.corvair.org/index.php?optio ... 445&id=390
LOL, Yeah Florida, the state that has the Atlantic on one side and the Gulf of Mexico on the other???? I think you know I'm from Michigan, if you didn't you do now!!!
Ken Hand
248 613 8586
vairmech@aol.com
Corsa Past President
Corvanatics Vice Prez
erco

Post by erco »

When in doubt, head south. There's one in Massachusetts too!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida,_Massachusetts
Attachments
Florida_massachusetts_citysign.jpg
vairmech

Post by vairmech »

Well, the engine and new drivetrain is installed, 90%. I have all the bottom stuff done except putting the exhaust back on. I am gong to put an electric fuel pump on but I didn't like the original fuel hose, it was soft and hard at the same time!

So speaking of the fuel hoses, ALL of them, well they were suspect as you can see. As I mentioned I didn't like the rubber line coming from the tank so I decided to pull the tank to change the hose and I'm glad I did. The filler neck hose was hard but not leaking.

So now I get to replace the hoses and do a little preventative maintenance. I will cut the end of the bolts that go into the dimples of the tank and then I will clean the top of the tank and put some kind of rust preventative in the dimples for the seat bolts. I have seen mor FC tanks leak there than anywhere because they hold water and debris then rust.

Tomorrow the tank goes back in along with the fuel pump, external for now, and also the fuel pump controller.

I also got new rubber for the road today so as soon as I get the brakes bled and the shifter reinstalled, the gas tank back in with the electric pump and controller We'll be ready for a drive!
Ken Hand
248 613 8586
vairmech@aol.com
Corsa Past President
Corvanatics Vice Prez
VairsUPnorth

Post by VairsUPnorth »

Please save those OEM tower clamps from the fuel tank.
Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI
vairmech

Post by vairmech »

I might be able to save the three that are on the tank but I was not going to struggle with the others, they got cut! I am on a bit of a time crunch here!
Ken Hand
248 613 8586
vairmech@aol.com
Corsa Past President
Corvanatics Vice Prez
vairmech

Post by vairmech »

Well the saga continues!
With the tank out here is what I found. As I said there was rust in the dimples but they are a little hard to see since I have already wire brushed the dimples.

And then! There is a place for RTV but not as the o-ring for the sender seal! Fortunately it peeled out pretty easy so nothing got in the tank. The interior of the tank is absolutely spotless, as you can get a glimpse of in the bottom picture.

BTW, this is the original tank! Here is the logo and the date code still stamped on the tank.

But alas, in order to preserve the tank I thoroughly cleaned the tank then put Extend rust converter on the dimple area and after that was dry I primed the top half of the tank with Rustoleum Rust converter primer. The date code is preserved in pictures.

So the tank goes back in tomorrow along with finishing the top of the engine. Then I need to run the wires for the electric fuel pump controller. It might even run tomorrow!
Ken Hand
248 613 8586
vairmech@aol.com
Corsa Past President
Corvanatics Vice Prez
vairmech

Post by vairmech »

Again it continues, getting closer though!
Here is my version of the early PCV system. This is modeled after the 64-9 system but modified to fit the early cars/vans.
First off here are the parts that I use. As you can see I have already modified the tube and the air cleaner top. Also, I don't just use that little opening that the earlies have with the PCV valve This is more like the late model with the larger tube. Why? Better flow and less restriction.

This is what it looks like installed, clean and neat!

Then, since I am using an electric fuel pump I made a plug for the mechanical fuel pump and reversed the fuel lines to be at the front. I had to be a little creative with the tube bender to clear the right air filter housing but it clears easily.

So with that I had to make a new fuel line from the tank. I tried to straighten and rebend the original line but it kinked when I had to bend it near where it had been straightened. You just have to love this tool! it can make the bulb at the end of a tube where it goes into a rubber line. The line is right there.

So that leads to the double flare as I want a hard connection not rubber hose like most everyone seems to do. The only rubber connection I have is at the firewall and that is what the bulb was for. That is all done now and tomorrow the tank goes in and I wire up the electric pump and controller.

Ken Hand
248 613 8586
vairmech@aol.com
Corsa Past President
Corvanatics Vice Prez

Return to “Corvair Talk”