New and need some help

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
Gffg7667

New and need some help

Post by Gffg7667 »

So im going to pick up a 61 monza 900 its down in florida just wondering what size trailer i need
joelsplace

Re: New and need some help

Post by joelsplace »

I tow Corvairs on a standard 16' flatbed. Car on the trailer forward with the bumper almost touching the front rail. Position will depend on your specific trailer but you need around 15% tongue weight. Unless you have a large tow vehicle you will want brakes on the trailer. I also use load levelers and sway control.
Roll up the windows especially if you decide to tow it backwards. The windshield can blow out. I've only had that happen on late models since they glue in. Your early isn't as likely with the type of windshield gasket it has.
If you are planning to rent a trailer I've heard U-Haul won't rent to anyone that tells them they are hauling a Corvair.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
Gffg7667

Post by Gffg7667 »

Thank you for the input i have a 16 ft enclosed trailer
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

It will fit in that. I can just barely get 2 on my '28 open flat bed.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

It will fit with about 6+ inches on either end to spare. If the enclosed trailer is a car hauler it will likely be stable. If it is a utility trailer rather than specifically designed as a car hauler it might be unstable with the nose of the car forward... (instability is possible even on a car hauler even though the axle is farther back on the trailer). You can try nose first and slowly increase speed to see if you get any sway. any sign of sway I would reverse the car and put it engine forward in the trailer. The balance of 60% weight forward of the trailer axles for stability is easier to achieve with the engine forward.

With the 17 foot car hauler I had I needed to put Corvairs at the very front to be stable without backing them on. I had a 19 footer also for a while. Corvairs tow best when the rear tires of the car are lined near the center point between the 2 axles on the trailer. Where is best depends on the trailer and how much of the trailers weight is forward of the center point between the axles.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Twinklan

Post by Twinklan »

Your insights on trailer stability are spot-on, especially the tip about engine-forward for better balance. It's all about that sweet spot for weight distribution.

Sharing my two cents – I once had a 17-footer, and Corvairs seemed to ride best with the rear tires aligning near the center point between the trailer axles. Trial and error might be your best bet to find that perfect balance.

Oh, and I stumbled upon this handy guide for shipping cars across the country https://www.a1autotransport.com/shippin ... s-country/ – it might have some extra nuggets of wisdom for your journey.
Last edited by Twinklan on Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

I towed my '62 convertible using a Uhaul moving van and trailer. We had to tell the Uhaul computer I was towing a Ford Tempo as Corvairs are not in their (stupid) computer. you just have to pick any similarly sized modern car and tell a little white lie. My Uhaul agent was cool and came up with that ruse. I had to rent the van ($$$) because I couldn't come up with an appropriate pickup with a frame mounted hitch. Dennis

Return to “Introductions”