Dual Exhaust Hangers

All Models and Years
wbabst

Dual Exhaust Hangers

Post by wbabst »

Does anyone have a template for early model both left and right muffler hangers? I just need the sheet metal part with the hole layout and shape. I currently have a 61 and the previous owner installed dual exhaust with the backend supported straps attached to the body of the car.
Current owner
61(x2) Monza Cpe
55 Pontiac Chieftain Wagon

61 Progress here
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chevrole ... 7898185672
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Goose-N6 ... 8869056897
m37aswell

Re: Dual Exhaust Hangers

Post by m37aswell »

Clarks Corvair has left and right muffler hangers for EM Corvairs.
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

If you are just doing this for looks that's fine but if you are trying to gain performance a properly sized single exhaust works better.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
wbabst

Post by wbabst »

I am aware, that Clarks sells them, but I don't want or need the attached hanger bracket. All I am looking for is a template that would let me create the sheet metal piece that actually attaches to the cylinder head. I have dual exhaust that does not match the factory set up so that attached bracket won't work anyways. Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments
hanger.jpg
Current owner
61(x2) Monza Cpe
55 Pontiac Chieftain Wagon

61 Progress here
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chevrole ... 7898185672
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Goose-N6 ... 8869056897
m37aswell

Post by m37aswell »

That piece with your green checkmark is so simple that you could just measure bolt hole to bolt hole and freehand a template. I used that exact piece for the dual exhaust on my 64 with Flow master 40 series mufflers and they fit great\perfect. :tu: You don't want mufflers supported by the body anyway, that works against the mufflers mounting as the engine moves around slightly, you want the muffler to be mounted so as it moves in conjunction with the engine in a Corvair configuration.
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

Interesting conversation as I'm considering duals for my '62 convertible. I noticed the other day that there is a lot less room on the left side than the right side because of the engine offset. I currently have an oval muffler (single) on the right side. I see where 63 and back were supposed to have a round muffler. The '62 coupe I had in high school had duals and IIRC they were both ovals.
Also interested in hearing more about the "properly sized" single exhaust. Dennis
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Dennis66 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:00 am Interesting conversation as I'm considering duals for my '62 convertible. I noticed the other day that there is a lot less room on the left side than the right side because of the engine offset. I currently have an oval muffler (single) on the right side. I see where 63 and back were supposed to have a round muffler. The '62 coupe I had in high school had duals and IIRC they were both ovals.
Also interested in hearing more about the "properly sized" single exhaust. Dennis
The LM cars also have an issue with a small space on the drivers side due to engine off set (to keep the differential drive shafts equal length). Somewhere I have pictures of a stock factory exhaust I got with a bunch of parts I bought years ago. If I can find it I'll post it and it shows the odd angle the drivers side muffler is at to fit the smaller space. One negative with duals is the drivers side muffler is close to the bulkhead the battery sits on and it gets HOT. The positives are no hot exhaust pipe under the transaxle and it sure makes doing a running engine valve adjustment easier.

A "better" single exhaust idea has come up over the years. A properly designed single exhaust could increase torque without causing higher RPM horsepower losses. I have yet to see any hard data to show how to build one, or any data to show an improvement due to a better single exhaust design. Not being negative. Anyone have the data, then please post.
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

I'm thinking a bushing to enlarge the size of the pipe coming off the left manifold (it is a small pipe, and the left exhaust has to come all that distance in it before dumping into the collector on the right side). A similar bushing on the right side manifold and the whole exhaust could flow through the same sized pipe. Dennis
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

https://corvaircenter.com/forum/viewtop ... msg-664338

https://corvaircenter.com/forum/viewtop ... msg-664338

Daniel Monasterio has passed away. He was the producer of the parts. Matt helped sell them in the US way back then.

Allan Lacki wrote up his version he made in the November/December Corsa Communique.

:turkey::turkey: :pig: :potato: 🥘 :christmas_tree: :menorah: :snowflake:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

Links to a CORSA conversation, but nothing of value there. Dennis
martyscarr

Post by martyscarr »

Allan Lacki wrote up his version he made in the November/December Corsa Communique.
Here's what Allan built
lacki_super_single_exhaust_dwg.jpg
martyscarr

Post by martyscarr »

more on Allan Lacki's exhaust
01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Interesting. Looks good. Thanks for the post Marty.
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

Yes, Thanks, Marty. That picture was NOT in the Corsa Communique article. Very very helpful.

:turkey: :pig: :potato: 🥘 :christmas_tree: :christmas_tree: :menorah: :menorah: :snowflake:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
martyscarr

Post by martyscarr »

You're welcome, glad I can contribute once in awhile ::-):
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

X3 Thanks Marty. That has the wheels in my head turning. I don't have a 140, but it still has the wheels turning. Have welder, cut-off tools, and creativity. Dennis

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”