Broken carb stud

Need to know how? Want to show how?
Dennis66

Broken carb stud

Post by Dennis66 »

So I've taken apart several heads now. In my build thread, I showed how I managed to get the carb studs out without breaking them or destroying the threads in the aluminum. Worked pretty good until yesterday. I have this engine that has been sitting in the weather for God knows how long. The outer studs were already removed. The inners were a different story. One was bent, while the other was just nasty looking. I started with the bent one because I knew it had to come out. I put a little heat and some ATF on it, but I got a little impatient and the sucker broke off. Down in the bottom of the hole (why'd they do that anyway?). I thought "machinist skills" time, so I carefully centerpunched the broken remains (kind of hard to do down in the bottom of that hole). I picked a small drill bit and started to drill down the center - so I thought. Problem is you can't see down that hole with the drill going. The bit had walked off to one side and there was no getting the hole in the center after that.
Plan B. I thought "I could just chunk this whole engine" Nah. There's got to be a way. I noticed that the hole is a little smaller that 5/8". Hmmmmmm. I got a piece of 5/8-18 threaded rod (left over from replacing air brake chambers). I carefully centerpunched it and drilled down the center. I tapped the center hole for 5/16-18, the threads of the bases of the carb studs, then cut a 1/2'' plug off the end. I cleaned everything up, and tapped the 5/8 hole in the carb pad to 5/8-18, threaded a short bolt and stop nut in my "plug", and threaded it in. The head is saved.
Stud hole tapped
Stud hole tapped
"plug" inserted
"plug" inserted
Bolt in plug
Bolt in plug
Dennis
Gasman63

Re: Broken carb stud

Post by Gasman63 »

Nice. Good way to think outside the box.
1963 Corvair Monza Convertible 140 4 speed.
Colorado Springs :wave:
Vairone

Post by Vairone »

Very nice work to repair damaged threads. Have you checked to see if the repair threads line up with the carburetor?

The factory 5/16" threads are not centered in the large hole, but your bushing has the 5/16" threads centered to the 5/8" outside threads. The carburetor stud will not line up with the carburetor.

Jake
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

Well I dropped a Spyder manifold on it and it fit fine. I'll try a carb base later and see if it fits. My guess on the reason for the large hole would be to allow for expansion of the head. The stud could flex a little without disturbing the gasket. Didn't know the stud wasn't centered. Dennis

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”