Rear cam adjustment bolts removal

All Models and Years
Project65

Rear cam adjustment bolts removal

Post by Project65 »

I’m wondering if anyone can tell me how to remove the rear camber adjustment bolts and cams. Mine are probably just rusted. I was able to get the rear nut off and knock loose the rear cam with a chisel. I couldn’t turn the bolt by the head with a breaker bar or drive it out with a 1lb hammer and a punch. Next is the torch to heat things up and a 2 lb hammer. Any advice?
John
1965 Monza Sedan “The Phoenix”. Rebuild in Progress.
JohnDB

Re: Rear cam adjustment bolts removal

Post by JohnDB »

I'm getting ready to do mine soon, and from what I've read the stubborn ones respond well to an air hammer. I've been hitting mine with penetrating oil, but I won't be surprised if they're stuck.
John
1966 Corsa Convertible
County98

Post by County98 »

Penetrating oil, time, and patience. Scrape the rust and flake off as best you can on both sides. Try turning the bolt either direction just to try to get any movement for more PB Blaster. You can always break out the big guns, but can turn into a mess in a hurry. Good luck!
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

'66 Corsa work in progress
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8079
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Do you have the inner end of the strut rod removed from the diff, or do you have the suspension arm jacked up when you are trying to remove the cam bolt? If the inner end of the strut rod is bolted in place and the suspension not jacked there is a very strong twist against both inner and cam bolts which makes removal difficult.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Project65

Post by Project65 »

The inner end of the strut rod is disconnected. I’m wondering if the bolt threads in or simply slides through a bushing. The rear cam is keyed on the bolt end and I was able to get it loose. I’m thinking that once the bolt and front cam spins free, I should be able to just drive it out.
John
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

It slides through. There is a sleeve with 2 special reducer washers one either end of the sleeve that reduce the sleeve diameter to adjusting bolt diameter. The D shaped end of the adjusting bolt goes through the D shaped hole in the big washer under the large nut and lock washer that you took of the rear. remove nut and lock washer, remove large washer with D hole and then the adjuster bolt with its integral large washer. PB blaster and hammer and trying to turn back and forth etc. it will come loose eventually I bet.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Project65

Post by Project65 »

Excellent! Thanks!👍
John
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

The replacement bolt are no where near the quality of the originals so if you can take your time and get them out intact you will be glad you did.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”