Electric fuel pump

Need to know how? Want to show how?
erco

Re: Electric fuel pump

Post by erco »

Here's one for $72 that has the correct connector wiring. https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-D1876D-P ... B000C9PBXU

Just me, but I'd move the wire on the cheap one and pocket the $62.
Attachments
wiring.png
Airzack

Post by Airzack »

Just an update. For those of you interested. Still starting great and haven't had any problems. Still drive the car at least 3-4 days a week.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Corvair Forum mobile app

66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Airzack wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:16 am Just an update. For those of you interested. Still starting great and haven't had any problems. Still drive the car at least 3-4 days a week.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Corvair Forum mobile app

Your car, your judgement. No I'm not interested in doing things half arssed.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Added components, wiring, fuses, relays, safety cutouts...

:think: :my02: I tend to believe that adding all of this complexity to your fuel delivery system can increase, not decrease, the possibility of a failure somewhere in the system. The complex electric fuel pump electro-mechanical fuel pump system is also more-difficult to troubleshoot, should a fuel delivery to the carburetors problem appear in your Corvair.

On the other hand, the original Corvair mechanical fuel pump system was relatively simple, cost-effective, and easy to troubleshoot. Failure — if it occurs — is usually caused by a clogged filter, fuel line leak (mostly on the suction side between the tank and the pump), or an internal rupture of a pump diaphragm. A spare pump stored in the trunk with appropriate tools makes for a relatively simple pump substitution in the event of a breakdown, with cost of the spare pump substantially lower that the cost of an electric pump system with all of its safety cutouts, added plumbing and wiring, etc.

My parents bought their first Corvair Monza in 1961, and traded for a new Corsa convertible (140hp) in 1965. I have owned many Corvairs since obtaining my license in 1969, and used them as daily drivers for many of those years — including driving two 140hp Corsas during our three-year tour of duty in West Germany. At age 68, my 1966 Monza sedan (110hp) serves us as our daily driver in North Carolina.

I have yet to own a Corvair that is fitted with an electric fuel pump. I have never had one of the mechanical pumps fail. Personally, the only reason I would consider switching to an electric fuel pump system would be in the event of an upgrade from a carburetor-based system to an electronic fuel injection-based system, where an electric fuel pump may be recommended in support of the EFI throttle bodies. The mechanical Corvair fuel pumps have been proven in Corvairs over millions of miles and over a period of 60+ years of operation. In most cases, the reason to consider an upgrade or design change in the Corvair fuel or ignition system would be one of seeking increased reliability while driving our Corvairs on public roads. I am convinced that upgrading a Corvair distributor to incorporate a breakerless ignition system in place of the original ignition points does, in fact, improve reliability. A well-tested and well-designed Electronic Fuel Injection can also pay dividends in improved reliability. But I see no reason to drop the original Corvair mechanical fuel pump in a search for more reliability.

The mechanical fuel pump is very quiet, too! And for those Corvair owners who wish to keep their Corvair looking "all original", the mechanical pump does that! ::-):

Takes a Licking....jpg
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Airzack

Post by Airzack »

Still starting and running great. Just wanted to stir the pot.
erco

Post by erco »

Airzack wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:57 pm Still starting and running great. Just wanted to stir the pot.
That's why we love ya! :chevy:
Airzack

Post by Airzack »

Still running great
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Airzack wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:52 pm Still running great
Sure until your outlet hose from the pump gets a hole in it and you burn the car to the ground. All fuel line in the engine bay should be steel, period!
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:think: As much as I have promoted the use of the aging mechanical Corvair fuel pump over any electric fuel pump in the past, I finally had my mechanical pump fail a few weeks ago. :doh: A little research and personal necessity has made me change my mind. I have now dumped the mechanical pump for good, and replaced it with the following...

Airtex E8251 Universal Solid State Electric Fuel Pump for Marine Applications

Price: $33.22 :link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027 ... UTF8&psc=1

Carbureted Applications
terribleted wrote: » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:37 pm

$100 for a mechanical pump is just another reason to go electric:) The Airtex E8016S pumps i prefer are around 1/3 that prices and install while not an instant bolt in is neither hard nor expensive. An electric pump will not by itself fill my crankcase full of fuel either like a failed stock one can.
The Airtex E8016S and E8251 share essentially identical specifications, in that they are both 12 Volt gasoline fuel pumps with low-range output pressure of 2.5-4.5 PSI and a Flow Rating of 30 GPH. This is a good match for the original Corvair fuel pump specifications. The inlet/outlet is sized on both electric pumps for 5/16" hose.

The Airtex E8016S is recommended for Import Passenger and Light Trucks with Carburetors. The Airtex E8251 is recommended for Marine Low Pressure applications

I chose the latter E8251 version because the instructions specifically recommend installing this pump "IN A POSITION ABOVE THE FUEL TANK" and "IN A POSITION WITHIN 12 INCHES OF THE ENGINE". Many of the installation instructions were written to comply with marine and Coast Guard boat standards, but I chose it because, unlike many electric automotive fuel pumps, the E8251 appears to be specifically designed to be far from the fuel tank, which indicates that an engine compartment installation close to the Corvair engine is appropriate for this electric pump.

When I initially connected this pump to the long fuel line from the Corvair tank, it was mounted in the engine compartment. The fuel line from the tank was empty, yet this pump almost immediately was able to pull fuel from the distant tank to the engine compartment, and fuel was being pumped from the pump outlet into a test container as soon at voltage was applied. In other words, this electric pump design seems up to the task of drawing fuel the length of the car in a manner that equals the performance of the old mechanical Corvair pump! It is also a very quiet pump. With the pump running in my hand I can barely hear it. I had to touch it to be sure it was running!

As far as I can tell, Airtex pumps have a good reputation for safety and reliability. I opted to use the Revolution Electronics Fuel Pump Controller instead of the traditional engine oil pressure safety switch.

This universal electric fuel pump controller is designed for cars and trucks being upgraded from a mechanical fuel pump to an electric inline or in-tank fuel pump.
  • Pump only runs if there is a tach signal from the ignition (Just connect to the negative side of the ignition if you don’t have a factory tach)
  • Primes the pump for three seconds at initial key-on.
  • Includes a 7.5 amp circuit breaker.
  • Includes an internal relay.
  • Includes 15 feet of 16 gauge wire to energize the fuel pump.
  • One year warranty
  • 30 day Money Back guarantee
This controller is $64.99. In comparison, the Holley 12-810 oil pressure safety switch is about $38.65, or the Mr. Gasket 7872 - Mr. Gasket Fuel Pump Safety Switch is about $25.77. Both of these safety switches are difficult to fit next to the alternator/generator, and retaining the oil pressure warning light switch in the same area makes it even more difficult to install without risking interference with the fan belt.

ImageImage

Clark's Corvair Parts sells the Adapt-a-Bolt https://ssl.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalo ... ow_page=28 to allow this oil pressure fuel pump power safety switch to be mounted above the oil filter, but it costs $26.40. The total for one of the oil pressure safety switches plus the Adapt-a-Bolt is about $52.17 to $65.05, which makes the Revolution Electronics Electric Fuel Pump Controller look pretty affordable! With the automatic pump priming circuit, the internal power relay and the built-in circuit breaker to protect the fuel pump circuit (instead of external relays and fuses), the Revolution Electronics unit looks like a clean, simple, and affordable method to control the electric fuel pump.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Airtex universal pumps are not designed as a replacement for OEM electric fuel pumps. They are made for custom vehicles, replacing obsolete mechanical fuel pump designs and specialty vehicle applications such as those listed on the Universal Fuel Pump Application Reference Chart. When purchasing an Airtex universal fuel pump – Always refer to the Airtex Universal Fuel Pump Application Reference Chart.
Airtex Universal Fuel Pump Applications - Technical Service Bulletin.pdf
Airtex Universal Fuel Pump Applications - Technical Service Bulletin
(470.37 KiB) Downloaded 13 times

LEFT-CLICK EACH IMAGE TO ENLARGE FOR BETTER VIEWING. CLICK A SECOND TIME FOR MAXIMUM ENLARGEMENT.
Airtex E8251 Universal Solid State Electric Fuel Pump for Marine Applications - Instructions
Airtex E8251 Universal Solid State Electric Fuel Pump for Marine Applications - Instructions
Airtex E8251 Universal Solid State Electric Fuel Pump Generic Installation Recommendations Diagram
Airtex E8251 Universal Solid State Electric Fuel Pump Generic Installation Recommendations Diagram

To protect the internal pump mechanism, I included a metal canister K&N PF-1000 Fuel Filter at the electric fuel pump inlet.

:link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OX ... UTF8&psc=1

Price: $14.99

ImageImage
:chevy:

RIP = Retired 1 Pump
:whoa: ::-):
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
erco

Post by erco »

No shame in that, Boss! Just makes good sense for cost, availability, reliability and function. Nice controller to shut off pump if to tach signal received.

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”