Extend

Anything Corvair related
corvair500

Extend

Post by corvair500 »

The auto parts stores used to sell Extend , a product that changed rust into a harmless compound . It worked well . Does anyone know if this is still available . I checked ebay , none was listed there . Haven't seen the stuff in years .
terribleted

Re: Extend

Post by terribleted »

Extend was OK. For a superior product check out POR 15. Many years ago I tested Extend, POR 15, Neutrarust and a couple others on the pitted rusty exposed top of a junk I had sitting behind my shop. None of these products were recommended for sun exposure, but, exposed they were:) The POR 15 was still there for a couple years beyond when the the others were completely gone.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
corvair500

Post by corvair500 »

When I got my first Corvair , 1967 I think , people would flick ashes into the ash tray but some missed the mark and fell on the dash . This caused deep rust pits . When I finally decided to do something about the problem , I sanded the dash but the pits were too deep to sand out . Then I got some Extend , mixed it with water and hand rubbed it into the pits , trying not to create too rough a surface as you cannot sand Extend. I let that dry for a couple of days the painted it with a paint with flattener added . That was around 1988 , and today the dash is still perfect .
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

You can sand and paint POR 15. It is hard as rocks when dry so it is hard to sand but it can be done:)
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

toytron

Post by toytron »

You can also buy many different rust conversion/sealing/removal products from eastwood.com

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

corvair500 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:18 pm The auto parts stores used to sell Extend , a product that changed rust into a harmless compound . It worked well . Does anyone know if this is still available . I checked ebay , none was listed there . Haven't seen the stuff in years .
This is pretty much the same thing in my opinion. Brush it on, it turns black, prime and paint over it. Converts iron oxide to iron phosphate. Water-based.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Krud-Kutter ... /203397073
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
1949chevy

Post by 1949chevy »

I use a spray can by dupli-color that converts rust probably from O Reileys...I think Rustoleum produces a spray can also.
66corsaguy

Post by 66corsaguy »

Do these products stop rust from continuing to eat further? Or it just makes the visible rust paintable?

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

POR and Extend and some of the others react with oxides of rust, neutralizing and encapsulating them. POR pretty much stops surface rust even deeply pitted surface rust as long as loose scale is removed first.

ensys

Post by ensys »

"Extend" has changed hands a couple times since Duro came out with it in the early 80s. At that time, I used it extensively and successfully on a 356 and it has maintained its integrity still to this day.

Back then, it was only available as a liquid, so when a spray was appropriate, I used a funky canned air spray rig. But it worked, and worked well. Its bonus feature was that it was not affected by gasoline or oil. This came in handy when the fuel petcock got leaky and peed on the floor... Took off the paint, but not the Extend.

I believe it lives on by another name, but I couldn't tell you what it is.
Keep 'em flying...

S.J.Szabo

Return to “Corvair Talk”