" Thomas Crown affair " replica, gone to France !

For those of us that still like to play in the dirt.
Butcher&Vairs

" Thomas Crown affair " replica, gone to France !

Post by Butcher&Vairs »

Alright, here it is, I thought I'd share these photos with you guys : I had the pleasure to help restore this buggy last year, nothing crazy , just a little modified 140 HP for an English bloke who still wants to play in the dirt. He is a real fan of Steve Mc Queen and his dream is duplicate the one in the movie .Cette Buggy est deja repartie en France, elle appartient a un Anglais qui habite le Sud de la France, veinard ! Keep them rolling, peace out !
Rafee Corvair, parts and service, in the Heartland of the USA
http://www.rafeecorvair.com
tel: 918-753-2486, available 7 days a week, no charge for advice
e-mail: rafee@rafeecorvair.com
Attachments
Stevesmanx2.jpg
Stevesmanx2.jpg (25.56 KiB) Viewed 3533 times
Last edited by Butcher&Vairs on Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rafee Corvair, parts and service, in the heartland of the USA
DrMike

Re: " Thomas Crown affair " replica, gone to France !

Post by DrMike »

Look at those beautiful Headers...Wow!
Just kidding Rafl...I wish I was still mzaking them.....those were my last pair , I think....

That is Martin O'conners car, and he writes occasionally from England to let me how much he is enjoying it.

Best wishes, Mike McCrae
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

I saw a set of those headers at a guys house in Menifee, CA. I bought a 140 motor from him. He had them sitting in his garage waiting to go on his buggy.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
Butcher&Vairs

Post by Butcher&Vairs »

What's up Doc. M. , yes, indeed, they are beautiful, too bad you stopped making them, I get requests sometimes.....You do an awesome job. I saw your other buggies, some sick stuff. Shoot, I haven't talked to Martin since the car was picked up, except for one time he sent a message saying the car had finally arrived, it took months, the car was sitting in Houston for months before shipping to England. Last search I did the car is in the South of France, I am not sure if it's finished or not. Alright, man, keep them rolling, peace out !
Rafee Corvair, parts and service, in the Heartland of the USA
tel: 918-753-2486, available 7 days a week, no charge for advice.
e-mail: rafee@rafeecorvair.com
Last edited by Butcher&Vairs on Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rafee Corvair, parts and service, in the heartland of the USA
tcreplica

Post by tcreplica »

Hi Rafee / Mike Still alive and back in the UK for a few momths to finish off the buggy. has been a very busy year and a half with work - making it slow progress on the Buggy. But over the past few months all has moved on considerably. After making 7 paterns, then 7 moulds and 7 fibre glass panels and finding out theses buggy bodies are not the same left to right - this modification was a lot of work. Now all panels are made and I have just had a company manufacture the screen I am well on the way to finishing the buggy. Seats were a problem and had to use moris minor seats split down the middle and re welded together. the other big change has been the exhausts. Unfortunatly Mike I had to cut the tubes off and have manufactured a set of megaphone exhausts - but I did keep the original pipes. Hope to have all the bumpers and luggage rack delivered in two weeks time.
Glad everyone is well - have a good new year
martin
http://www.corvairdunebuggy.com
Attachments
sattt (27)LQ.jpg
sattt (27)LQ.jpg
tcreplica

Post by tcreplica »

Corvairdunebuggy.com
Attachments
sattt (26)LQ.jpg
DrMike

Post by DrMike »

Looking good Martin....do you have a picture straight on of the side....? My buggy is the yellow Manx you see under "Corvair of the Month".....What tires are those, and what sizes are they......

Best wishes, Mike
tcreplica

Post by tcreplica »

Hi Mike
Wheels and tire details
2 off 10" wide x 15" dia Torque thrust "D" grey with 5 stud 4.75 PCD (American Racing wheels)
2 off 8.5 wide x 15" dia Torque Thrust "D" grey with 5 stud 4.75 PCD

Fitted with Mickey Thompson Sportsman tires part number 1557 (8.5 inch) and 1558 (10 inch)

I dont have a side view yet - but I can do one if you want - do you have a reason for a side view ? To get mine correct I projected a side view of a still frame from the film.

Martin

this is a good site
Delaney

Post by Delaney »

That looks so sic!
ClarkHartzel

Post by ClarkHartzel »

Don't get too crazy running off road with those headers so close to the ground! Almost every Corvair buggy I owned or others I've known has the tubes all dented in on the bottom. I suggest jacking up the suspension for off road running.
Is this buggy Corvair rear suspension or VW?
Clark Hartzel

Return to “Corvair Dune Buggies”