I can't get the '66 running

All Models and Years
ccs42

Re: I can't get the '66 running

Post by ccs42 »

It now starts without any help, but it doesn't stay running for more than a matter of seconds. I tried adjusting the mixture and idle speed screws, but I didn't see any changes in behavior.
Chris
Geiselberg, Germany
'66 Monza 3-Speed/140
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

When you opened up the carburetors, were the float bowls pretty full?
ccs42 wrote:What I would like to do is take my carbs apart and follow a different set of instructions for tuning. Does anyone have a good place to find these instructions?
I have attached a copy of the DELCO ROCHESTER Models H, HV Carburetor Service Manual. It is a good supplement for the shop manual. About half of it addresses the basic design theory behind the Rochester H an HV carburetors. This might help you in troubleshooting, if it provides you with a better understanding of the function of each carburetor component and circuit.
Attachments
DELCO ROCHESTER - Models H, HV Carburetor Service Manual.pdf
DELCO ROCHESTER - Models H, HV Carburetor Service Manual
(1.79 MiB) Downloaded 13 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
ccs42

Post by ccs42 »

I turned them over to empty what fuel I could before taking them apart. I can't say for sure, but enough fuel came out to make me think they're full.
Chris
Geiselberg, Germany
'66 Monza 3-Speed/140
ccs42

Post by ccs42 »

Thanks for the manual! It looks like I have some tuning to do!
Chris
Geiselberg, Germany
'66 Monza 3-Speed/140
ccs42

Post by ccs42 »

I can change the title of this post now!

The carburetors I was working with were just too worn out. I didn't realize how worn until I got a pair of new ones. I put the new ones in last night and took my time adjusting all the linkage. She started up the very first time and idled perfectly. It's squeaky, but not bad for 45 years old! I'll oil up all the external moving parts to see what changes.

Last week I dropped the fuel tank to inspect its condition. I didn't have high expectations based on the number of patches I've already made to the bottom edge. I was surprised when I opened it up! I didn't know these things rusted from the inside out. It's unsalvageable. This was definitely one of the problems derailing my troubleshooting process. I have the new tank, as well as the sealant, O-ring, and sender unit. My next target is the fuel line leading from the tank to the engine bay.

Thanks everyone for your help!
Chris
Geiselberg, Germany
'66 Monza 3-Speed/140

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”