"Corvair Baby" — Paul Revere and the Raiders

Videos, Brochures, Articles, Ads, Owners Manuals, How to...
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

"Corvair Baby" — Paul Revere and the Raiders

Post by bbodie52 »

I hadn't seen this one before...

A romp in the desert with a 1965 Corsa turbo coupe, and a 1965 4-door sedan makes a cameo at the end...

Raiders - Corvair Baby (stereo)

Published on YouTube Jun 25, 2014

Power in the Chevrolet Corvair peaked with the 1965-66 turbocharged 180 hp (134 kW; 182 PS) Corsa engine option. The second Corvair generation's styling was rated timeless when new, and considered contemporary today in comparison to the first generation. A new fully independent suspension, similar in design to the Corvette, replaced the original swing axle rear suspension. The Corsa came standard with an instrument panel featuring a 140 mph (230 km/h) speedometer with resettable trip odometer, a 6,000 rpm tachometer, cylinder head temperature gauge, analog clock with a sweeping second hand, a manifold vacuum/pressure gauge and fuel gauge. A much better heater system, larger brakes borrowed from the Chevelle, a stronger differential ring gear, a Delcotron alternator (replacing the generator), and significant chassis refinements were made. AM/FM stereo radio, in-dash All Weather Air Conditioning, telescopically adjustable steering column, and a Special Purpose Chassis Equipment ("Z17") handling package, consisting of a special performance suspension and quick ratio steering box, were significant new options for 1965.
Music
"Corvair Baby (Remix)" by Paul Revere & The Raiders (Google Play • iTunes • AmazonMP3)
:link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvhBe9PYLTY

For comparison, here is an early Corvair commercial. Fortunately, they got better over the years (the cars and the commercials).

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
junkman

Re: "Corvair Baby" — Paul Revere and the Raiders

Post by junkman »

I wonder if I should have purchased a Falcon instead of a Corvair??? LOL....

I deal with reasonable people reasonably, and unreasonable people, not at all!
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: "Corvair Baby" — Paul Revere and the Raiders

Post by bbodie52 »

No Contest???

Produced by the Ford Department of Spin, Nit-Picking and Propaganda
  • Thin-section bumpers cause problems? I always thought of the chrome bumpers as just wide front and rear decorative trim. They don't really provide much impact protection, do they?
  • Exposed painted front sheet metal subject to excessive damage from flying stones? After more than fifty years of driving Corvairs I never noticed an issue with the lack of a front grill. Pure unsubstantiated Ford propaganda!
  • Fender-mounted gas filler tube a problem with gas spillage or hazardous to smokers? COME ON! :neener:
  • HAZARDOUS GAS TANK LOCATION? The engine up front would "absorb" the impact of a collision? I never though of a cast iron engine block "absorbing" impact. But it might get shoved into the passenger compartment! I always thought of the fuel tank location in a Corvair to be well-protected, with a lot of open sheet metal to crush, and then a well-anchored suspension cross-member running interference before the impact reached the fuel tank. Perhaps a rear-mounted fuel tank just forward of the sheet metal bumper was protected much better from a rear impact?
  • Pressure difference between front and rear tire pressures? Can you imagine owners not maintaining proper pressures in a Corvair? OK, YOU'VE GOT A GOOD ARGUMENT THERE! We'll give you that one! :sad5:
  • You have to kneel down to position and use the scissors jack? OMG! With a bumper jack I could stand up while jacking. :tongue: Of course, I might have to kneel to actually change the tire... :banghead:
  • Cardboard door panels a problem? They have done OK after 50 years or so. More unsubstantiated propaganda.
  • Clutch pedal position??? I never noticed such a problem, but perhaps that is because I learned to drive in a Corvair and have been driving Corvairs since I was 15½ (1968). Incidentally, my father was 6 feet tall and wore size 14 shoes — yet he never complained about the close proximity of the brake and clutch pedals in a Corvair. Perhaps that was because he often commuted to work driving a tiny Italian Fiat 600, which made the compact Corvair seem much more spacious.
  • Complaining about "four on the floor"? Does anyone out there prefer a column-mounted manual transmission shifter??? :puke:
  • Corvair has a smaller steering wheel — they neglected to mention the light weight of the front end, minus the engine and transmission, made steering much lighter so the driver would not need all that leverage offered by a larger steering wheel to steer the car.
  • The Corvair Powerglide has no PARK position? Yeah, I know! I still wouldn't want to drive a Falcon!
  • What's this stuff about "if the engine overheats, the car must be stopped to let it cool?" If a Falcon overheats, you can just keep on driving? Specious! Just plain specious!
I could go on, but...

The Falcon's superiority is so obvious... well, just look around. How many people in 2014 are driving, restoring, and collecting Ford Falcons??? If you happen to be the rare bird that drives a Ford Falcon and you pull into a gas station, how many people run up to you to ask you about your Falcon? How many people say they admire your Falcon??

Where have all the Falcons gone... long time passing?
Where have all the Falcons gone, long time ago?
Where have all the Falcons gone? Gone to graveyards, everyone!
Oh, when will they ever learn?
Oh, when will they... ever learn!

Apologies to Peter, Paul and Mary.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Misc. Corvair Videos and Media”