missing and bogs down after 15 minutes driving

Anything Corvair related
myred63

missing and bogs down after 15 minutes driving

Post by myred63 »

The tail of MyRed63:
We have owned this car since 1976. I took my driving test in it in 1978. In the last couple of months, we have been trying to get it back into good working order, it has been sitting for long periods of time for the last 20 years. One nagging problem has been after warmed up, trying to accelerate it would miss or bog down. To fix this, we have replaced the following: (not all related to the problem)
• New starter (it wouldn’t kick over sometimes, now starts every time)
• New battery
• New tires (It sat a lot for the last 20 years and they cracked)
• Two rebuilt carbs from Clarks
• Two new fuel pumps (first new one leaked)
• Timed and dwell checked
I can run it for 15 minutes and it runs fine. Accelerates strong and runs as expected. After that, I assume it is all warmed up and it starts to miss during acceleration and slowly gets worse and bogs down giving any gas and then I have trouble getting home. My generator gets stinking hot and you cannot put your hand on it. My last item to replace is the regulator, it is original and not been looked at. My thought is that at operating temperature, the regulator is failing and causing the generator to work overtime and also not sending enough of a signal to the coil. Next week I’ll get the new regulator from Clark’s and let you know.

Any better ideas of what could be wrong?
Thanks, Jon :think:
MyRed63
cad-kid

Re: missing and bogs down after 15 minutes driving

Post by cad-kid »

You should do a charging system test. Also the coil could be failing when hot.
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Also what is your timing at when hot???? Or did you set it hot & what is it set at? Should be 13 - 14 hot if it's 102 hp. Does that new battery go dead? Did you polarize the generator before starting the car?
Last edited by 64powerglide on Sun May 03, 2015 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Have you checked the supply voltage with a voltmeter, both when starting out and when it starts acting up? It should be about 12 VDC when cranking and about 7 VDC in normal operation. There is a resistor wire in the wiring harness, near the 8-pin multi-connector. The schematic diagram below shows how the primary ignition wiring is set up.
1963 Ignition Wiring Diagram.jpg
When you are cranking the engine, a full 12 VDC comes from the starter solenoid and feeds the coil, to provide a hotter spark to enhance starting. The moment you release the key and stop cranking the engine, the solenoid disengages and this shuts off the 12 volts from the solenoid, leaving only the reduced voltage fed through the resistor wire. This lower voltage is normally adequate for a running engine, and is reduced from 12 volts to approximately 7 volts by the special resistor wire that is embedded in the factory wiring harness.

If you measure the voltage between the coil positive terminal and ground with the key on/engine running, it should be around 7 volts. If the car begins acting up after driving it for a while, recheck the voltage. If the voltage has gone down, check the voltage at the battery. With the engine running the charging voltage seen a the battery should be about 14 volts. If the battery voltage appears to be good but the voltage at the coil positive terminal has decreased, it is possible that the resistor wire is failing. When resistors get hot the resistance tends to increase. If the resistor wire is failing it is conceivable that the increasing resistance produced by a hot resistor wire is reducing voltage that gets to the coil. This would decrease the spark produced by the coil as the voltage fed to the coil decays.

You could try an experiment by fabricating a jumper wire to temporarily feed 12 volts to the coil positive terminal directly from the battery positive lead. With a full 12 volts feeding the coil, does the engine performance come back? If it does, a faulty resistor wire would likely be the cause. The ignition points will not last very long with a full 12 volts passing through them. Over time they would arc and burn, and would have to be replaced more frequently. That is why GM put the resistor wire in the circuit in the first place. If the resistor wire is proven to be failing, it can be bypassed and an automotive ballast resistor can be purchased at a parts store to replace the resistor wire. Alternately, you might consider replacing the points with a breakerless system from Pertronix, or even replacing the old distributor with a new distributor from Performance Corvairs. http://www.perfvair.com/electronic-distributors/ The distributor from Performance Corvairs contains the breakerless electronics, which runs at a full 12 volts and does not need a resistor wire or ballast resistor. The new distributor eliminates the 52 year old distributor completely, and the results is better performance, no more points and condenser, and solid performance from the new ignition system.

Anyway, check the supply voltage fed to the coil, and determine if the possibility of a failing resistor wire seems to be the source of your trouble. If it is, you will have to decide on how you want to correct the fault.

As for your overheating generator, have you polarized the generator? have you had the generator tested or considered upgrading to an alternator?

I don't know if the information below would apply to your charging system problem. If you ever had your electrical system disconnected, it should have been polarized when reconnected to ensure the proper configuration of your charging system. The manual mentions the possibility of arcing and burning contacts if this is not done, but I don't know if that arcing would be visible in the generator, or would only occur in the voltage regulator.

Whenever the battery is disconnected from the vehicle for any reason the polarization procedure should be performed.

1960-1964 Corvairs used generators in their charging systems. These generators were replaced with charging systems using alternators in 1965-1969 Corvairs. Generators often needed to be polarized when the battery was disconnected or the generator was disconnected and removed or reinstalled to get it properly functioning again.

The shop manual states that if the system is not properly polarized a reversed polarity can cause arcing and burning of the contact points. This is something that is unique to generator-based charging systems, and is not applicable to alternators.

As shown in this illustration from page 8-6 of the 1961 Corvair shop manual, the center voltage regulator GENERATOR terminal is directly wired to the Armature terminal on the generator. The Field terminal on the regulator is wired to the generator FIELD terminal. The charging voltage output from the generator emanates from the generator Armature via the heavier 14Gauge wire.

When polarizing the generator, the temporary connection must be made between the BATTERY terminal on the Voltage Regulator to the GENERATOR (Armature) terminal.

If the generator has failed, you might want to consider a conversion to an alternator at this time, rather than spend money on a rebuilt generator and possibly on a new voltage regulator. Such a modification is a common upgrade in EM Corvairs. It requires changing the oil filter/generator adapter to provide a proper mount, and removing the old charging system and replacing it with a new alternator. Many suitable alternators have an internal integrated electronic voltage regulator, which can simplify the upgrade by eliminating the old external voltage regulator configuration. If you would consider such a modification, now would be the time.
A conversion from a generator to an alternator in 1960-1964 Corvairs is often a topic of conversation and sometimes confusion. I have located some good material on this subject, and have compiled it here. Hopefully this information will be of some help.

There are several options in the conversion:
  • Use an externally regulated 10DN Delco alternator, as seen on late model 1965-69 Corvairs.
  • Use an internally regulated 10SI or 12SI Delco alternator off a slightly later GM product.
  • A true one wire setup. Here a special self exciting regulator is installed in a 10SI style alternator. Control of the dash idiot light is lost if this is used.

The explanation shown below, along with its website link, seems to be one of the best explanations I've seen seen that describes some of the Delco alternator options available that could be fitted to a Corvair. (Keep in-mind the reverse rotation of the Corvair engine, which does not affect the alternator charging system but must be considered when fitting a cooling fan and pulley to the alternator — since the cooling fans are designed to rotate either clockwise or counter-clockwise. Proper air circulation is important for cooling an alternator).

A standard Corvair alternator output capacity:
    • Alternator P/N: 1100639 — 35 Amps
    • Alternator P/N: 1100698 — 45 Amps
Greater charging capacities might be considered if the Corvair is fitted with special high-current, high intensity headlamps, some form of electric heater, or a custom sound system with external amplifiers supporting a special speaker configuration with subwoofer(s).

An alternator with an internal electronic voltage regulator makes good use of the increased reliability of a solid-state voltage regulator to replace the 1960s vintage external electro-mechanical voltage regulator. However, a switch to a single-wire alternator instead of a 3-wire alternator cannot be justified, and is not desirable in my opinion. The reasons are clearly described below...

Alternator Conversion
Selecting a Delco SI-Series Alternator

:link: [url]http://bob_skelly.home.comcast.net/~bob_skelly/alternator_conversion/wiring_alternator1.html[/url]

To replace an EM generator with an alternator, the oil filter and generator mount adaptor must be replaced with the oil filter and alternator mount adaptor found on 1965-1969 Corvair engines. These used adaptors can usually be obtained from sources on eBay or from sources like the Corvair Ranch in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania...

:link: http://www.corvairranch.com/

Suitable alternators can be sourced from normal Corvair suppliers, auto parts suppliers, eBay, local automotive junk yards, etc.

This link provides some additional information on the CCW rotation alternator fan and proper cooling for a high-capacity alternator mounted on a Corvair engine...

:link: http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.ph ... 130,612166

More information on fitting newer-design Delco alternators to Corvairs...

:link: http://www.unm.edu/~geoffj/Vair/Alternator.html
:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... N&page=84A
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
myred63

Post by myred63 »

Thanks for all the replies. They are truly welcome. I will start with a full electrical check of the voltages as suggested, at start up, warm in garage, then after road test. I also need to check the polarity of the generator since disconnecting the battery, I have read, may swap the polarity. This will give me a base line of what is happening. Then I will replace the regulator with the one that I ordered from Clark's to see if that will fix the problem.
Stay tuned, and thanks again,
Jon
MyRed63
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

My thought is that at operating temperature, the regulator is failing and causing the generator to work overtime and also not sending enough of a signal to the coil.
The battery should have enough energy to run the car for at least an hour even without a generator , the racers do it all the time !

To me it sounds like a faulty coil or condenser . Both of these are more likely to fail once warmed up .

Or - a bad fuel supply . This could be the pump or an air leak in the line.

at this point I would swap out the coil and condenser and see if that fixes it.

If you think the charging system is at fault just check it with a voltmeter .
Attachments
130764624754_1_0_1.png
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:goodpost: The possibility of a failing coil or condenser due to heat buildup is certainly feasible. If the source voltage proves to be within normal parameters, another failing component that might be degraded by heat is certainly possible. Further troubleshooting and fault isolation should help you to find the cause.

Fuel starvation caused by a faulty feed line between the fuel pump and the fuel tank would not be corrected with a new fuel pump. If this is suspected you should check fuel volume delivery using the procedure outlined in the shop manual.
Brad Bodie
Melb-Mike

Post by Melb-Mike »

How old are the plug wires ? If they are more than 3 years old, better change them too. Many years ago, my 62 Corvair would start great, idle great and run great.........until it got warmed up. Then it would miss and bog down. I changed a few things but it never fixed it until I finally changed the plug wires. What clued me in was running the car at night and watching the engine when I noticed a lot of cross arcing from the wires. I couldn't see this during daylight hours, it wasn't noticeable.

My experience with a bad condenser is that once it goes bad, it stays bad. It doesn't go back to normal when cold and then break down once hot. Coil, on the other hand, can be fine cold and bad hot. Bad or broken down insulation on the coil's windings are affected by heat as it makes the wires move against one another. Condensers, like capacitors are either good or bad.

Good luck
Prior Corvair owner 30+ years ago
Just acquired 64 Spyder, 66 & 65 Corsa,
adding to 69 Corvette BB, 67 GTO,
2015 Corvette Z06,
04 996TT Porsche,
04 Caterham Super 7
just sold 87 Porsche 930 Turbo (Thank God)
myred63

Post by myred63 »

Good idea. I will run it in the dark to look for sparks. Never had recently run it in the dark. Also, Plug wires could be 20 years old. That is an easy fix. I may as well just replace them for good insurance.
The car is at my Dad's in Santa Barbara and I am in Thousand Oaks, CA, 1 hour away, so I only get to try things on the weekends. Hopefully I can get some work in this weekend.
All good ideas and I will try to sort it out and let you all know.
Thanks,
Jon
MyRed63
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

If you need a good set of Corvair plug wires, here is a good source...

:link: http://www.perfvair.com/

:link: http://wireset.com/default.aspx

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... N&page=75B
Brad Bodie
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

Let me add one more idea. Suppose the choke temp sensor mounted on the bottom of the head were installed wrong. As the engine gets warmer, the choke might close, rather than open. That could cause the symptoms you described.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

I'll toss in my .02 cents.......I think you've got a buildup of crud in your fuel tank and it's causing a restriction in the fuel sock after a while of driving. It could also be some floating sediment that gets "attracted" to the pickup tube/sock and starts to clog it after this period of driving. Since you mentioned the car sat for long periods of time, that's sort of the tipoff for me.......if mine, I would start by Tee-ing in a fuel pressure gauge/hose into the fuel supply piping to the carbs and watch the gauge as the engine starts to bog down and miss. I'll bet that the fuel pressure is dropping.

Another way people have "eliminated" the fuel tank restriction possibility is to run the ol' gas can on the floor and run a fuel hose straight to the suction side of the fuel pump. Dangerous? Yeah, maybe.......
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

It has been mentioned several times but didn't see you respond about it. It is highly likely that your coil is bad, it just happened to me recently with very similar effects.
'66 Monza Coupe Project: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=7188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
myred63

Post by myred63 »

I did most all the electrical tests and everything checks out. I am waiting for a new regulator and that will go in next. I ran it at night and no arcing from the spark plug wires. Doesn't mean they are not failing when hot. I may just get a new set for good measure. I have replaced the coil and points years ago. I'll have to look back and figure out how long ago it was. As for the choke temp sensor, it was never changed so I don't think that would be in wrong. As for the gas, it did not sit that long at once. It was run around every month or so for the last 20 years. I don't think I have bad fuel. The gas tank was replaced 20 years ago also. I'll keep trying things until I find the culprit.
Thanks,
Jon
MyRed63
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

myred63 wrote:......I don't think I have bad fuel. The gas tank was replaced 20 years ago also. I'll keep trying things until I find the culprit.
Thanks,
Jon
I never said anything about bad gas. I was leaning towards a restriction in the flow of fuel. To do your own troubleshooting, you should get at least a few tools, such as a 0-10 psi pressure gauge (with a selection of brass Tees, threaded nipples, fuel hose/clamps) and also a voltmeter (to check your charging voltage AND voltage at the "+" side of the coil when the car is chugging and falling on its face). These 2 items will help you immensely.
myred63

Post by myred63 »

I think I will get a 0-10 gauge with some extra connections and tees. The idea of fuel delivery did come up and that is why I have a new fuel pump. Didn't solve it. I have also talked to someone who mentioned the fuel line. The pressure gauge would help with that. My dad did some electrical checks and I'll review with him. He followed the suggestions in the post from bbodie52. I'll collect some additional info for my next post.
Jon
MyRed63

Return to “Corvair Talk”