63 102HP engine value

Anything Corvair related
bobw

63 102HP engine value

Post by bobw »

I have someone interested in the 102 engine out of my 63 parts car. The engine ran when parked(the car was hit and totaled 2 years ago) with recently replaced push rod tube o-rings. It is currently mated to a 3 sp but the prospective buyer wants to mate it to a pg in a 65 vert. First of all, will that work and secondly what is a fair price to ask. The engine does not have carbs or a generator on it and he has his own he can use. I'd like to get a few bucks but also want to give him a good deal.
spyderman64

Re: 63 102HP engine value

Post by spyderman64 »

The factory did offer the 102 with Powerglide. Not a great combination, but doable. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the 102. (I have one in my '63 Monza.) That said, if I had a decent-running 102 to sell I'd probably ask $300-$350.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

The motor will work with the PG. You must remove the pilot bushing for the standard shift input shaft from the front of the engine crankshaft and use a PG bellhousing.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
caraholic4life

Post by caraholic4life »

I always thought the camshaft was different for an automatic engine than for a standard transmission but could be completely wrong on that.

In addition to removing the pilot bushing and swapping the bell housing there are a few more things I think would need addressed.

The biggest thing I can think of would be the Distributor since is likely different as far as some of the internal components.

I don't recall at the moment if the dipstick on an early model comes through the firewall or through the shroud like a late model does. If it comes through the shroud, it would need changed too.
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner

Return to “Corvair Talk”