Window handle removal

Anything Corvair related
Middie65

Window handle removal

Post by Middie65 »

I'm not having much success trying to remove window handle on my 65 Monza, any tips? I have tool but it's not working. I'm thinking of using claw hammer to pry off.
91blaze

Re: Window handle removal

Post by 91blaze »

Once you get the clip off using the tool it may take some force and wiggling the handle to get it off.
'66 Monza Coupe Project: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=7188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
spyderman64

Post by spyderman64 »

Don't use a hammer. You'll only end up damaging your car. Keep trying the correct tool. Eventually it will get the handle off safely.
tommy44432

Post by tommy44432 »

Assuming you have the proper tool make sure that you are working in the reverse direction the clip was installed. More than once I've been called to assist someone with the same problem only to find they were working in the wrong direction. I can remove any GM handle in a matter of seconds. Keep trying until you succeed. Lose the claw hammer
El Burro

Post by El Burro »

I found a trick that's works great. remove the 2 middle spines from a fork. Yep silverware. I had to flatten it with a hammer but it work great.
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

I use a Hook tool.
Attachments
corvair stuff 450.jpg
corvair stuff 451.jpg
corvair stuff 452.jpg
Middie65

Post by Middie65 »

Thanks for the help, I'll definitely tries some of these ideas.
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Sometimes the previous owners put them in backwards too. So check both sides, the direction Dave showed or I have found most of them are accessible from the handle end.

I use one of these tools.
http://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and-s ... 21258_0_0/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
Cfred

Post by Cfred »

The hook is a pretty foolproof way. I use a heavy duty spring hook, or Harbor Freight has an assortment package of hooks and picks.
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Just drag a shop rag or towel back and forth behind the knob and it usually catches on the end of the clip and flicks it off.

Advance to about 1:15 in this video.

Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:coolphotos: :goodpost:Image Ever since I started working in gas stations as a teenager I always wondered what those red rags were for. They seemed to be everywhere and no matter what gas station I worked at, the red rags were always there. They taught me how to mop, use a broom, pump gas, clean restrooms... just about EVERYTHING! But nobody EVER taught me about those darned red rags. :sad5:

:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

:think: Now, after all these years, at the age of 62, I finally have learned about red rags. But in an era when most cars have power windows, aren't red rags becoming obsolete... a thing of the past??? The day may come when people will see a red rag and won't know what to do with it!!!

:tongue: :not worthy: :clap: :clap: :clap:

ImageSeriously though, that was a good tip. :ty: Image I might even start keepin' one of them rags in my Corvair trunk! You never know when you might have to take off one of them window winder things while out trav'lin!
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
BudShort

Post by BudShort »

I have one of those "Official" door knob removal tools, but it had the flanges on the sides bent slightly up so that the part that was to remove the spring couldn't hit the right place. I cut the handle off, flipped it over and welded it back on. A little bit of grinding to smooth out the weld and now the flanges are bent DOWN. It's worked great ever since.
Corventure Dave

Post by Corventure Dave »

Also... those Red shop rags are "Red" because they should turn Blue as an indicator if they contact battery acid! New ones from China.... who knows!?!

Corventure Dave
jojonuns

Post by jojonuns »

I just bought one of those tools too. Removing the handle seems to be a breeze, but installing them again is a PIA. I thought that I had installed my door handles like a pro until I stopped at the store and closed my door. Tne next thing I heard was my door handle flying accross my floorboard! I have tried to partially attach the clip and then while putting pressure with my palm I insert the tool behind the handle and push several times just to make sure that the clip snags. Still no luck. So I am driving around with only one handle attached until I have the patience to try it again.
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

You put the clip fully in place on the handle and just pop the handle on! you don't try to put the clip on the handle after its in place, install clip and handle, push on, Done!
jojonuns

Post by jojonuns »

Sweet! I thought that might be the method, but was a bit hesitant. I will do it today with more force. Thanks a million!

Return to “Corvair Talk”