Underbody skin....

Anything Corvair related
tommy44432

Underbody skin....

Post by tommy44432 »

'63 Convertible. After replacing the front and rear floor pans the "under car" looked kind of cobbled together. And I discovered the tunnel cover under the car wasn't in as good a shape as I thought. So I rebuilt the tunnel under the car as well. Poor planning on my part resulted a sloppy look beneath the car. After some thought I decided to do a complete re-skin like a Formula 1. The end product is a smooth pan. I took care to rustproof all the skin panels hidden from view to combat rust that will ultimately return one day but we can't stop that anyway. Now I know the purists will disagree but I like the look. Oh well.
Attachments
Skin 1.JPG
91blaze

Re: Underbody skin....

Post by 91blaze »

Cool, I plan on doing the same except in bolt-on patches so they can be removed if necessary.
'66 Monza Coupe Project: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=7188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
veverlove

Post by veverlove »

Certainly aids in aerodynamics. Good idea w/ the bolt-on panels, 91blaze! Should wear a lot longer, w/o moisture/crud getting into all the little collection spots. Not a bad idea!
Victor Everlove - Santa Cruz Co, CA
1965 Corvair Monza Convertible, PG (converted 4-speed)
1961 Corvair Lakewood, PG (RIP - got torched 11/2014)
2001 Chevy Blazer Extreme, LS 1 (RIP - hit-n-run total 06/2014)
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

Another idea that I will be doing is using plastic instead of steel, for three main reasons.

1. Lightweight
2. No rusting
3. Easy and cheap to replace if damaged

These won't be structural pieces so making them out of some type of plastic would be beneficial.
'66 Monza Coupe Project: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=7188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tommy44432

Post by tommy44432 »

91blaze wrote:Another idea that I will be doing is using plastic instead of steel, for three main reasons.

1. Lightweight
2. No rusting
3. Easy and cheap to replace if damaged

These won't be structural pieces so making them out of some type of plastic would be beneficial.
Depending on the thickness of the plastic you are using you will want to do something to insure the plastic won't flex in the breeze. Some sort of underbody bracing will be necessary to support long sections.
tommy44432

Post by tommy44432 »

91blaze wrote:Cool, I plan on doing the same except in bolt-on patches so they can be removed if necessary.
I like he idea you have of bolt on panels. I welded mine on and hope that the rust prevention I id is sufficient. On the other hand if over time it fails replacing a piece of steel with another won't be difficult.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

I would be concerned about trapping condensation and moisture between the flat bottom layer and the floor itself. I am afraid you may have created a rust sink rather than the opposite, but, time will tell. An under pan is a cool idea but might best be done with plastic panels (abs perhaps) or aluminum and have openings for a some airflow and certainly drainage.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
tommy44432

Post by tommy44432 »

terribleted wrote:I would be concerned about trapping condensation and moisture between the flat bottom layer and the floor itself. I am afraid you may have created a rust sink rather than the opposite, but, time will tell. An under pan is a cool idea but might best be done with plastic panels (abs perhaps) or aluminum and have openings for a some airflow and certainly drainage.
I took moisture into consideration and primed and painted the steel before installing it. A few well placed drain holes will handle any moisture I may encounter should I get caught in the rain. Not worried.

Return to “Corvair Talk”