classicchevyowner7

Re: Real cars!

Post by classicchevyowner7 »

Wish I could drive mine now. Having some issues. I love the attention as well
- Allen
Freejax

Post by Freejax »

It is just a matter of time before we all go to Costco and order that grey car with the grey interior, delivered on the grey truck to my grey garage. That is why I love my Corvair and think it will look best in a bold but old colour like yellow or orange. See you all at Costco while we pick out our daily drivers.
Happy Building all!
BIGTWIN
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by BIGTWIN »

Now that just ain't right. Now you're scaring me.
1961 Monza
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside a dog it's too dark to read."
gbarron

Post by gbarron »

Freejax wrote:It is just a matter of time before we all go to Costco and order that grey car with the grey interior, delivered on the grey truck to my grey garage. That is why I love my Corvair and think it will look best in a bold but old colour like yellow or orange. See you all at Costco while we pick out our daily drivers.
HAHA...your probably not too far off the truth! I see us ordering our cars online...and then the car will deliver itself with the new driverless technology coming in the next few years!
Glenn B.
Vancouver, BC
1966 Corvair Monza 110/PG in Chateau Slate "Survivair"
tommy44432

Post by tommy44432 »

BIGTWIN wrote:There are a lot of pros and cons to state the obvious. My biggest ones are replacing the throttle cable / linkage and the steering control with electronics. It's all a good business move though you'll have to admit. They now make a car very few people can work on much past changing the oil. You pretty much have to take it to a shop. If you break down and decide to take it to a shop then most people will take it to who knows the most about that specific car, the guy who built it. Money, money money. Practically everything on a new car goes through a circuit card at some point now instead of the old battery to fuse box to switch to bulb stuff. But, you can't deny the safety advantages with the air bags, curtains, fuel pump shut offs, anti lock brakes, traction control, etc. that this technology has brought about so at least there is a real advantage to it as well. I'm with you on the car vs. rolling computer thing though, the old stuff has character and style, and they're made out of STEEL. I gotta put my family in the safety machine though.
I'm 65 years old. My grandparents raised my parents in cars with steel dashboards, cars with no seat belts, and no child seats. My parents raised me in those same types of cars, and I raised my kids the same way. We survived not because of the cars but because we paid attention to driving. I have never nor will I ever buy a car based upon safety. Many of today's cars have so many gadgets that people are occupied with everything in the car but driving the damned thing. Back in the day our radios had an on/off switch and a tuning dial and maybe 5 pushbuttons. Our heater control was a fan switch and temp control. Today you need a degree in applied science to use the dash controls. That old battery to fuse box to switch to bulb thing worked pretty damned good. When I purchased my 50 year old Corvair last summer with all the original wiring everything still worked on the car. Wish I could say the same thing for my 2000 something cars. Today's cars are indeed more complicated...but to say they are better can be argued.
Last edited by tommy44432 on Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
tommy44432

Post by tommy44432 »

I agree. I always choose the color I am going to paint any collector car I restore after walking through new car dealerships and viewing the colors on full sized cars. Paint chips just don't work for me. That's when it hit me, much like it does you, that today's cars area about as boring as one can imagine. Same basic shape, same blah exterior colors, and boring grey or tan interiors. My wife's next "new" car will be a 1965 Chevy Impala 2 door hardtop....I'm not joking.

Return to “Corvair Talk”