Starter?

Anything Corvair related
mauriceschick

Starter?

Post by mauriceschick »

Hey all,

I just replaced my generator with an alternator. I had had an electrical failure while driving -- radio and fan blower wouldn't stay on at the same time, then car died, and didn't have the juice to turn over. Seemed pretty cut and dry generator problem. I put the new alternator in and jumped her and it worked great. Driving better then before. Went out of town for a few days and had to jump it again when I returned. But then it drove fine again. Noticed that the battery was still weak so I figured I wasn't getting proper charge, so I fixed the ground on the alternator.

Now it won't even turn over. There is power (lights all turn on, etc), but the starter doesn't seem to engage. No clicking, no cranking, nothing. The question I have is, is this me needing a new starter or did I screw something up in the wiring?

Thanks for your help.
------

1964 Monza 110
91blaze

Re: Starter?

Post by 91blaze »

Same battery throughout all of this? Is it possible the battery is damaged? Otherwise possibly the engine harness connector is corroded or not completely seated.
'66 Monza Coupe Project: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=7188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
19corvair62

Post by 19corvair62 »

like 91blaze mentioned, you should check the wiring harness that's in the left side of the engine compartment. I had a similar problem to yours a few months back. Turned out the issue was in a frayed wire and loose connection by the multi-pin connector.

I attached the link to a post that I had made when I ran into that problem. The answers on that post should help you out. :tu:

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=7899&p=53044#p53044" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Matthew

1962 Corvair Monza 102 HP 4 Spd.
BIGTWIN
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by BIGTWIN »

I'd be checking the engine area harness,then the dash harnessfor shorts or burned wires around the ign. switch. Is it the original harness? The P.O. of my car did a lot of creative wiring under my dash concerning the ign. switch and that reared its ugly head when the dash took up an ugly smoking habit. Good luck, Oh, that's quite a buffer you use on your car in the picture, I've GOT to get me one of those.
1961 Monza
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside a dog it's too dark to read."
tommy44432

Post by tommy44432 »

If all was good then I'd suspect a bad connection between the starter and the battery. Always use the KISS method solving a problem....*Keep It Simple, Stupid* My guess is it's a dirty or loose connection someplace.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:think: The common area that appears to have never been addressed is the battery. Car batteries can develop internal faults in which they cannot store an adequate charge or will not produce adequate voltage or cranking current. The problem may not be the charging system or the vehicle wiring — it may be a faulty battery.

An attempt should be made to fully charge the battery, and then it should be load tested. Many auto parts stores, auto repair shops, Sears, etc. can perform a load test on your battery to determine if it is faulty. Alternately, you can install a replacement battery, if you have access to one, and see if this clears your problem.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Corvair Talk”