Clutch Feel

Anything Corvair related
Pathfinder

Clutch Feel

Post by Pathfinder »

Now that the '69 4SP is running great, it's time to sweat the small stuff: the clutch pedal, while not the stiffest I've ever driven is a little tough on my foot which I broke last year. I would have just taken it in stride, but I sat in a modified LM with a short-throw over the weekend, and the clutch pedal was like butter. Any ideas, without major modifications? Thanks!
- P
'69 140/4 Vert, Dusk Blue / White Top
'14 Durango LTD
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Clutch Feel

Post by bbodie52 »

The clutch cable passes through some pulleys when it changes direction. These pulleys, or the cable itself, could be binding. The plastic pulleys could be damaged, or the cable might be frayed. I would suggest inspecting, lubricating, and repairing the clutch linkage, if needed. I have also attached a copy of the appropriate shop manual section for your reference.

Here is some more specific information on the clutch cable system...

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... N&page=112

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... N&page=114

Since a spare clutch cable in the trunk is recommended (a broken clutch cable on the road can be a real "show stopper" with a replacement cable days away), you should inspect your cable and pulleys. If the problem is a broken or faulty pulley, and if the existing cable is not frayed or damaged, you might consider ordering replacement pulley(s) and at least one new cable. If the old cable appears to be serviceable, you could still replace the old cable (unknown remaining service life) and then keep the old cable as an emergency spare.

Be sure to note the information about Late Model take-apart cables, which are easier to ship and store (as a spare) in the car, as opposed to the long ridged rod structure in the standard cable.
Attachments
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 7 - CLUTCH AND CONTROLS.pdf
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 7 - CLUTCH AND CONTROLS
(4.83 MiB) Downloaded 19 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Corvair Talk”