Cooling....

Anything Corvair related
tommy44432

Cooling....

Post by tommy44432 »

Since I will never drive my '63 Convertible in cold weather I have no need for heat. While the system still functions I do need to replace some rotted out duct work and decided I just don't want to. Since the engine is out and the car is down for new paint I am also sprucing up the engine compartment and sheet metal engine shrouds with new paint. I decided to block off all openings that allowed heat to the interior. Assuming the more air forced around the engine and not allowed to escape would be a benefit. I don't need any lectures on the next guy may want heat. I'll save all the parts and he/she can make it right. Just curious if I'm making a mistake and somehow that ducting is necessary to keep the engine cool.
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: Cooling....

Post by azdave »

On my LM's with my own "heat delete" I block off the cool air supply in the top shround to the heat box by the #5 cylinder. That mean all cooling air has to go past the cylinders.

Down below you probably should cap the two hot air outlets that feed the heat box so the engine can come up to temperature properly in cooler weather. Here in Phoenix I don't even close those off.

I leave all other parts in place in case I change my mind or the next owner wants to hook it back up.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
tommy44432

Post by tommy44432 »

azdave wrote:On my LM's with my own "heat delete" I block off the cool air supply in the top shround to the heat box by the #5 cylinder. That mean all cooling air has to go past the cylinders.

Down below you probably should cap the two hot air outlets that feed the heat box so the engine can come up to temperature properly in cooler weather. Here in Phoenix I don't even close those off.

I leave all other parts in place in case I change my mind or the next owner wants to hook it back up.
I capped all places in the engine sheet metal that allowed air to escape...even the top fan shroud. I removed my thermostats and the doors are removed on the hot air exhaust.
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

tommy44432 wrote:I removed my thermostats and the doors are removed on the hot air exhaust.
Just remember that your engine needs to get warm enough to burn off condensation and unburned fuel that gets into the oil. With no thermostats in place your engine might never reach normal operating temps, especially on shorter trips. You might want to change your oil more often if the engine runs too cool or make sure you get a good freeway trip in the driving mix once in awhile to be sure you get it good and warm occasionally.

I don't run lower shrouds on my Corsa but I have a head temp gauge so in the winter I can see if I'm running the engine too cool.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
tommy44432

Post by tommy44432 »

azdave wrote:
tommy44432 wrote:I removed my thermostats and the doors are removed on the hot air exhaust.
I might make quick runs down the street in my regular cars but whenever I take the collectors it's always to go to an event far enough away that the engine will get warm enough. Even in NE Ohio in the summer it gets hot just like Arizona...well maybe not THAT hot....lol.

Just remember that your engine needs to get warm enough to burn off condensation and unburned fuel that gets into the oil. With no thermostats in place your engine might never reach normal operating temps, especially on shorter trips. You might want to change your oil more often if the engine runs too cool or make sure you get a good freeway trip in the driving mix once in awhile to be sure you get it good and warm occasionally.

I don't run lower shrouds on my Corsa but I have a head temp gauge so in the winter I can see if I'm running the engine too cool.
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

I lived in Indianapolis for 30 years and owned many Corvairs there too. My comments about the engine possibly running too cool refer to spring or fall weather when taking shorter trips but I see you get my point.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Return to “Corvair Talk”