Ralf Nader Speaking Engagement

Anything Corvair related
motomiser

Ralf Nader Speaking Engagement

Post by motomiser »

The topic is not Corvair though.

A friend who loves irony is suggesting to line them up and park them outside the venue :)

Maybe I can get it together and show up with others!

http://www.kpfa.org/events/kpfa-radio-9 ... mantle-cor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Corvair 1965 hardtop coupe 140 4spd
motomiser

Re: Ralf Nader Speaking Engagement

Post by motomiser »

Don't know if this will show the flyer but giving a try.
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

That horse ws dead long ago.

Most people these days don't even know why Ralph Nader and the Corvair are in the same sentence. I've had more than one person ask me why I have "N8R H8R" on my Corvair. They think it was about my not liking the Green Party candidate.

Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
notime

Post by notime »

Tell me motomiser, have you read the book?
motomiser

Post by motomiser »

azdave wrote:That horse ws dead long ago.
The friend who suggested to do this never let's go of what he sees as good humor and he also came of age in the 60s era. Got to admit I appreciate his jokes most of the time :)
motomiser

Post by motomiser »

notime wrote:Tell me motomiser, have you read the book?
I have! I did get quite a bit from it.

I was studing mechanical engineering and working with a grad student in a lab designing wheelchairs at the time at San Francisco State Univ. Kurt was a cool dude and a car guy and when he found out I owned a Corvair, he was insistent that I read it. Not only because I owned the iconic car, but because of what he thought I'd get out of it from an analysis standpoint.
I don't concern myself with flipping over much, but a mouthfull of steering wheel should I ever plow into a curb has flashed through my mind from time to time.
There is much to criticize in the subject matter. I expect there is a forum thread there, and I think I will give it a look. I do appreciate Kurt for encouraging me to read it.
91blaze

Post by 91blaze »

Most people these days don't even know why Ralph Nader and the Corvair are in the same sentence. I've had more than one person ask me why I have "N8R H8R" on my Corvair. They think it was about my not liking the Green Party candidate.
]
Really? At least 1/2 the people who I talk to about my car say something about Nader or "Unsafe at Any Speed".
'66 Monza Coupe Project: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=7188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fbama73

Post by fbama73 »

motomiser wrote:
The friend who suggested to do this never let's go of what he sees as good humor and he also came of age in the 60s era. Got to admit I appreciate his jokes most of the time :)
I like his sense of humor, but I have a "Nader for President 200*" bumper sticker on my Corvair.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

fbama73 wrote:I like his sense of humor, but I have a "Nader for President 200*" bumper sticker on my Corvair.
I heard today that current polls show that if the Presidential election were run today between Obama and Mitt Romney, Romney would win by a significant margin!

I wonder how Ralph Nader would do in the poll if he were to run against Obama? We might end up with a President Nader! :dontknow:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
boatbob2

presidential vote.........

Post by boatbob2 »

I have it on good authority,that my black lab retriever,should run for president,after all,she is 100% black,and has AKC papers to prove her AMERICAN CITIZENSHIP,and l,obozo is only 7% black,43% ARAB.and 50 % white. and cant prove his American citizenship.
Corventure Dave

Post by Corventure Dave »

Always good tio hear from Raff Noodler. And at such a conservative location as Berkley! Will the campus nude singers be there also?
Makes me want to go out and chop down a neighbors tree! :rolling:

Corvanture Dave
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

bbodie52 wrote:And... not only is it argued that Ralph Nader's efforts actually prolonged the life of the Corvair, but it can be argued that the Corvair prolonged the fame, national recognition and popularity of Ralph Nader! And that led to the election of George Bush over Al Gore in the 2000 election. Ralph Nader (Green Party) received 1.63% of the popular vote in Florida. George Bush received 48.85% to Al Gore's 48.84%. Since Ralph Nader and Al Gore were both "Green" kinda guys, it could be shown that Ralphie "stole" 1.63% of votes that probably would have gone to Al Gore if Nader had not been on the ballot. Just 0.02% more Floridian votes would have provided Al Gore with the popular vote win, and all of the Florida Electoral Votes (25).

The final Electoral Vote count in the 2000 election was Bush (271), Gore (266). If Florida's 25 votes had gone to Gore, the outcome might have been a President Al Gore for possibly two terms.

:eek:

So the introduction of the Corvair in the 1960s appears to have determined the outcome of the Presidential race in the 2000 election!

:whoa:
ImageSo it is funny how things turn out. Recently the Obama White House started promoting his own impeachment — implying that the Republicans were anxious to impeach him. Republican Sarah Palin initiated the concept, and John Boehner, the Republican Speaker of the House, went into denial about impeachment. As a result, the Democrats started contributing more money to defend their man, and if the Democratic Party continues to successfully promote the idea of a Republican led impeachment effort, they may be able to drive the Democratic voters to the polls in November (to save their control of the Senate).

ImageImageImage

When Ross Perot campaigned as a conservative third party candidate in 1992, his efforts helped to weaken George Bush and helped to place the opposite candidate, Bill Clinton, into the White House.

And when Ralph Nader declared the Corvair to be Unsafe at any Speed, his efforts propelled him to fame and seems to have prolonged Corvair production by GM, and ultimately led to a cottage industry of Corvair support and promoted Corvair enthusiasts in a way that prolonged the active existence of the Corvair more than fifty years later!

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Corvair Talk”