Wheels & Tires

Anything Corvair related
snowmaker

Wheels & Tires

Post by snowmaker »

I am thinking that after the snow goes away and I can get my 64 Spyder out of storage that I might replace the 13" wire wheels and tires with 14" wheels and tires. The wire wheels are in good shape and I have had verry little problem with them, a couple of times I have found them starting to loosen up on me but since I check them almost every time I get in to drive I have never had them come very loose, but getting the orginal 13" size is getting to be harder & harder I was thinking that a switch to the larger size might be a good thing to think about for handeling and such. I have a couple of sets of old MGB wheels that I think I saw some place that they would bolt right up after I take the wire wheel adapter off the drums. I also was also thinking about looking into disk brakes for the front if that is even a thinh that can be done at all. Thanks in advance for and input on this.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Wheels & Tires

Post by bbodie52 »

I sure hate to see real wire wheels go, since they are rare and look great on an EM Corvair. But you are right in your discovery that 13" tires are a rare commodity and finding modern radial technology in a 13" tire is very difficult. An upgrade to 14" or larger wheels makes sense.

These websites should be helpful...

Sizing Corvair Wheels and Tires
:link: http://autoxer.skiblack.com/tires.html

Corvair Brakes
:link: http://autoxer.skiblack.com/brakes.html
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
BIGTWIN
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by BIGTWIN »

I just got a set of 15 x 7 "smoothies" for my 61 and put a set of 195 x 60 x 15's on them and it looks great. I ordered them through Jegs but they came from Wheel Ventiques and were quite reasonably priced. I had to wait a month for them to make them but it was worth the wait. They are chrome around the edges and bare in the middle so you paint the middle whatever you want. I'll be matching mine to my interior and have baby moons in the middle. Total for the wheels and moons with shipping was a tad over $400 so I was pretty happy with that. If you've considered an old style wheel you might check them out.
1961 Monza
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside a dog it's too dark to read."
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Maxxis currently has a 185/80R13 radials available again and reasonable as well. Hopefully they will continue to make them.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
DemonPig

Post by DemonPig »

I may not know much about Corvairs yet but I do about tires.

BFG has a very nice line up of Radial T/A in several 14" sizes with bold, white lettering on one side - designed specifically for old muscle and sporty cars.
They are not very expensive. BFG is owned by Michelin and while independent to a certain degree, they do share technology freely. Michelin spends the most on research and design of all the tire manufacturers in the world. (I don't work for Michelin btw, just a fan of their products, I sell and install tires for a living)

1965 Corvair Monza coupe
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Stock Corvair cars only came with 13" wheels and tires. 185/80r13 is best match. There a many more tire options for those who don't mind being non-stock.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

DemonPig

Post by DemonPig »

Yes, of course. For those who intend to maintain the O.E. look it's getting tougher.

As a driver though, 14" with lower profiles will provide better handling though.
1965 Corvair Monza coupe
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

DemonPig wrote:Yes, of course. For those who intend to maintain the O.E. look it's getting tougher.

As a driver though, 14" with lower profiles will provide better handling though.
Indeed. I like 14 or 15 inchers without a doubt. The only issue I have seen is that stopped and low speed steering effort increases significantly due to the increased footprint. I think it is a good trade off for the stability and traction of the larger lower profile tire.

DemonPig

Post by DemonPig »

That's correct too. Fortunately there are narrower tires readily available if someone converted to 14" or 15."

185/70r14
195/70r14
185/65r15
195/60r15
195/65r15
... are some of them.

All very popular sizes and will give you that smaller footprint, while being close to the original diameter.
It will be more difficult to find that vintage, raised white letter look though with those particular sizes.
1965 Corvair Monza coupe
DerekKim

Post by DerekKim »

Bigtwin will you post pics of the 15's
Skrain

Post by Skrain »

I was messaging Coker tire in Chattanooga the other day and they told me they had both the Maxxis and the B.F.G. tires in stock in 185.80R13 size.
And that they expected to have them for the forseeable future.
1964 Monza Spyder Turbo Convertible.
1949 Ford 8N Tractor
2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4X4 Pickup
freedo
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by freedo »

DemonPig wrote:Yes, of course. For those who intend to maintain the O.E. look it's getting tougher.

this right here is a biggie. i went from my 14's back to 13's and i HATED the ride quality and handling. the 14's arent even low profile but the difference was insane. cant wait to got to 15's
DemonPig

Post by DemonPig »

If keeping with original diameter, 15" are probably the best compromise between comfort and handling.
With 16" sizes you will most likely start getting into H and V rated tires with their stiff sidewalls.

One thing I don't know is how large of a tire can Corvair support without any modifications.
1965 Corvair Monza coupe
Ayr Hed

Post by Ayr Hed »

]I bought a set of the Maxxis tires a couple of months ago. When the sh---y weather clears I will mount them up...here are some specs on the sidewall....Cheng Shin..Taiwan..P185/80R13 90S..Treadwear - 420..Tractiom B..Temp B..Max Load 590kg..Max Press 35 psi measured against my P-175s..the Maxxis tires stand 24.5 inches..about 3/4 of an inch taller..
Attachments
corvair baby pics 023.JPG
corvair baby pics 026.JPG
corvair baby pics 023.JPG
Ayr Hed

Post by Ayr Hed »

BTW....bought directly from Maxxis...$104 each..free shipping
'64 Monza coupe 110/4 spd
DemonPig

Post by DemonPig »

Keep in mind that you can't compare treadwear between manufacturers.
420 from a Chinese company is not 420 from Michelin.

Asian tires usually copy tread patterns off top tire manufacturers but they use inferior rubber compounds and less technology.

With that said, they are usually sufficient if you don't drive much and don't push it.

I've used Chinese winter tires for one season and they weren't bad, just wore fast.
Brand new Chinese tire is usually decent. You start noticing a significant difference when you have less tread left.
1965 Corvair Monza coupe

Return to “Corvair Talk”