What is the age range of Corvair Fans? (POLL)

Anything Corvair related

What age bracket do you fit into?

16-25
9%
26-35
10%
36-45
15%
46-55
25%
56-65
24%
66-75
15%
76+
3%
Mind yer own BeezWax!
0%

Total votes: 702

Sparovair

Re: What is the age range of Corvair Fans? (POLL)

Post by Sparovair »

Hi again I'm Brian (sparovair)
Corvairs in South Africa were and are like hens teeth, my first '60 700 bought in '61 I was 21, the next was a '62 Monza 900 this was owned by me for 44 years, and sold this year.
I currently have two, a '62 Monza 900 being restored, and a '65 Monza 4 door.
So for 52 years Corvairs have been in my veins, this month I turn 73 where do I fit in to the picture ??
'62 Corvair Monza 900
'65 Corvair 4 door Monza
'82 BMW 635 CSi
'83 Mini mark 3
'78 Volks Wagen Beetle
All for the love and compassion of CORVAIRS FOREVER
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Something of a South African Corvair Godfather, I would think! I also started with Corvairs in 1961, but I was only eight years old and we lived in San Jose, California.

I guess we are both determined to see our lives through with Corvairs as a significant part of our lives. A good way to carry on, I think!
:clap: :partydudes: :goofywave: :funnypost: :oldtimer:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
sam60

Post by sam60 »

That is very cool to me sparovair, born in 60, into Vairs at 50 for me.

Like Brad said, Godfather. :tu: :not worthy: :wave:
140-4 carb w/transaxle - Traded for a guitar

69 Wayne 100 - Blue Water hull - sitting out back
VairGrl Missy
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by VairGrl Missy »

freedo wrote:
VairGrl Missy wrote:
freedo wrote:majority of our group is 40+ im apparantly not the youngest one at 19 which is odd, but i think im the youngest one who isnt in the club because a parent is too
:eek: WOW, man!!! Glad I'm not the youngest Vair owner on the planet... although I might be the youngest girl :neener:
Btw... Do you do your own pics... Love them!!! :coolphotos:
Kudos!!
Miss
all my own pics

Top quality!!! Primo work, man!!!!!!! :coolphotos:
Miss
Missy Rodriguez
'61 Monza Air Vair Rose
'62 Monza Lola under construction
'63 Monza Lucy Now retired to Corvair Heaven
:EMs Rule:
dagdal1967
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by dagdal1967 »

I think it's always interesting to see the age distribution of car clubs/owners. At 46, It looks like I fall right in the middle with the largest majority of those who responded.
Doug Gault
Fort Worth, Texas

- 2013 Cadillac ATS Premium
- 1964 Palomar Red Corvair 900 Monza Club Coupe
- 1961 Lincoln Continental

The Air Cooled Addiction Continues...
Trip

Post by Trip »

I think the average age of CorvairForum members is considerably younger than the average of all Corvair nuts =)
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
65 Corsa 180 Turbocharged coupe
64 Monza Convertible
61 Air conditioned Monza coupe (Missy's)
See them here: https://tinyurl.com/ydc7txrf
Algershick

Post by Algershick »

I agree Grymm, I think that's probably true for most all hobbies/forums. :)

I'm 31, 32 in a week. I have been into Chevy's since I was 16, my first car, which I still have, is a 63 Chevy II wagon. I bought my first Corvair 2 years ago and wound up selling it a year later.

I have since bought a house and am on the hunt for another! Assuming the current owner and I can get the title sorted out, I'll be working on a '65 Convertible Monza that's in fantastic shape. Stay tuned for my unorthodox motor swap. :)
hentysnr

Post by hentysnr »

Hi guys
Yep been very quiet lately, work is just a killer at the moment, last 9months has just been insane!
Anyway I love reading other Corvair experiences and "how I got started stories" and so here is mine.
Back in 1996 I was scratching around in a scrap yard looking for something, I did not know what I was looking for BUT, knew that when I saw it I would know what I was looking for......yeah I know that sounded weird it is but, look at what I found my 1st '60 Series 500 Corvair
My very 1st Corvair
My very 1st Corvair
And after sometime, a divorce and 9years of bliss 2nd marriage and her endless support the 1st Corvair now looks like this. Some what of an improvement I would say!
Lots of tender loving care and hard work equals this
Lots of tender loving care and hard work equals this
Then some 5years ago I found the rust bucket and went on a wild goose chase to get my hands on her, bought her but sadly was put to rest and parted out beyond repair and my quest for a Coupe continued
The :rust bucket" nice from far but so sad closeup!
The :rust bucket" nice from far but so sad closeup!
In the mean time I bought Kens car as he was leaving SA to move to the UK. This has become my experimental car, it has the BIG BORE engine and some other modifications I have made
My 2nd 4dr
My 2nd 4dr
Then I made contact with Sparrowvair and aquired his baby of 44years and she is currently undergoing a ground up restoration as in nut and bolt
The 63 coupe I bought from Brian Sparrow
The 63 coupe I bought from Brian Sparrow
So that is my story/walk with Corvairs and I'm afraid I'm hooked for life and in my opinion they are one of the most unique cars around besides being the ONLY AIRCOOLED REAR ENGINED CAR ever built by Chevrolet that in itself is pretty unique and there is a host of other first for Chev that go with it, maybe Brad must set up a list and lets see what we can add to it. By the way as a matter of interest Dave Newell confirmed this, Corvairs were imported into South Africa for 2yrs only '60 and '61 and only 4drs, every single Coupe in SA has been imported by private individuals. The then SA Government would not allow imported new Coupes into SA, they had to be second hand????????????

Anyway its great to be part of this forum and thanks for all the positive input. Must admit I enjoyed some of the banter on Obama in one of the other sections, you guys must see the circus we have to deal with here in SA.
WHY DRIVE ANYTHING ELSE THAN A CORVAIR :emfront:

'64 Bad Back!
'60 4dr 500
'61 4dr 700 BIG BORE 3.2lt
'63 Monza Coupe
'65 Monza Coupe
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:goodpost: :coolphotos: Thanks for documenting your Corvair-Affair and history with these unique cars. Quite an accomplishment -- especially considering the limited availability and bureaucratic problems that are unique to South Africa. Your restoration projects are truly exceptional! Looking forward to seeing pictures of your coupe restoration! :tu:
Brad Bodie
Middie65

Post by Middie65 »

I'm 65 new to Vair ownership, mechanically challenged but loving it. I dropped bolt for fuel pump into well below fuel pump but I can't see it . Does anyone have an idea where it's gone to I can't see it. Thanks
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

The fuel pump bolt would probably lodge in the area below the harmonic balancer pulley. There is a skid plate and cover near the rear engine mount that you might be able to get to by removing the body panel below the bumper and then the sheet metal cover (a real pain, I know!).
Engine Part Drop Zone.jpg
You might be able to get a magnetic tool like the items pictured below that might help you to fish the bolt out of the engine "parts trap" around the pulley. These tools are available at Sears, auto parts stores, or at Amazon.com (just search Amazon.com for "magnetic tool".

If all else fails and you cannot locate the bolt and lock nut, you can order a replacement from Clark's Corvair Parts. If you do, and if you anticipate needing other items like fan belts, oil filters, etc., I would recommend consolidating all of your needs into a single order. Shipping is cheaper that way!

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... IN&page=65
Part number C3251R: FUEL PUMP BOLT & LOCK NUT

Weight: 0 lbs 2 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 65
Price: $ 8.80
Brad Bodie
Middie65

Post by Middie65 »

Thanks for help Bodie.
iabuell

Post by iabuell »

Im 17 and don't intend on getting rid of my Corvair anytime soon! Surprised more kids my age don't enjoy classic cars...
Mist Green 1968 Corvair Monza 2 door Coupe 110 hp 2 Speed
ronsouthan

Post by ronsouthan »

I just turned 64 and grew up in Detroit. I've owned cars since high school, mostly LBCs, my 65 Monza is my first Corvair. My sons are 33 and 31 and grew up in the Dallas suburbs, other than having cars in high school, they haven't had them since. They've lived in Brooklyn, San Francisco, LA, and are both in London England right now. I think the younger generations see cars as a needless expense, particularly in a busy, traffic congested setting.
I currently pedal a bicycle 2 miles each day to the DART station and take the train to work and I'm quite glad I'm not fighting the traffic on I-35. I'll always have an "interesting" car till I can no longer drive but the hobby itself might fade a bit in the upcoming years.
SirThomas

Post by SirThomas »

It would seem the poll here measures the average age of Corvair owners who also use the Corvair Forum. Of which I land around the middle at age 49. I, too, have found that I am generally the young one (or very near so) at club gatherings. Great people. I enjoy interacting with them at events, but the average Corvair owners I have met have been retirees. Apparently, retirees who have not yet voted on this pole. I believe if they did we would see the average age rise.
Thomas Ratliff
Fitch Sprint (in progress)
Circle City Corvair Club member
reidmier
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by reidmier »

Great point SirThomas. Also consider that Corvair owners over 65 are less likely to post on an internet forum to begin with. One of the finest Corvair mechanics I know doesn't post any direct responses on the internet. He relays his knowledge via Technical Articles in club newsletters. I'd agree that Corvair Forum members aren't necessarily indicative of the average age of Corvair owners. That being said, its refreshing to meet young people who appreciate these vehicles. Everything old is new again (except people).
Reid M.
Washington, UT.
'65 Monza 110 PG

http://www.hacoa.org/
http://www.vegasvairs.com/

Return to “Corvair Talk”