44%
My Dad can beat up your Dad.
14%

Total votes: 638

sam60

Re: LM vs. EM Debate.

Post by sam60 »

bbodie52 wrote:
ayrhead wrote: In the LM's I still own a '65 Monza convertible that was built in CANADA I don't think or actually know if there are many of the Canadian Built Corvairs left since our weather up here gave them quite a beating...
There were only 679 Corvair Monza Convertibles built in Canada in 1965!
Now that is a project for you, Brad.
140-4 carb w/transaxle - Traded for a guitar

69 Wayne 100 - Blue Water hull - sitting out back
ayrhead

Post by ayrhead »

Thanks for the info. We don't drive it much any more as we own a BMW Z3 as well. I still get lots of people scratching their head trying to figure out what I'm driving when we do go to town with the Monza. It has around 36,200 miles on it.
1962 Corvair Rampside 110 HP, PG
1965 Corvair Monza 110 HP, PG
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome: Hey, Mr. Ayrhead! I just realized you slipped in to the Corvair Forum without much fanfare, yet you seem to have a long interest in Corvairs and a pretty nice-lookin' LM convertible with a rare Canadian genealogical history. Could I entice you to post a brief Corvair-related biography in the Introductions section that tells us a bit about you, where in Canada you are located, and your Corvairs? We would love to see more pictures and to hear more about your Corvair background and interests!
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Sparovair

Post by Sparovair »

I must be the luckiest guy in South Africa and could never choose start '60 700 then 2 x '62 Monza 900 then '65 Monza 4 door what's to choose when the beauties are soooo rare especially in SA my biggest choice was in the beginning 1961 when the toss up was CORVAIR or Dodge Lancer my choice is .......................obvious !
'62 Corvair Monza 900
'65 Corvair 4 door Monza
'82 BMW 635 CSi
'83 Mini mark 3
'78 Volks Wagen Beetle
All for the love and compassion of CORVAIRS FOREVER
DerekKim

Post by DerekKim »

Both EM and LM are pretty sweet, and maybe because I own one I choose it, but I'm gonna have to say EM. I love the lines on it.
Sparovair

Post by Sparovair »

As I said my choice was obvious '65 4 door and '62 Monza 900, at our last Piston Ring meet "American Car Day" my Corvair was featured in the main arena and among many American cars near mine was the Dodge Lancer my 2nd choice, this was amazing as it was the first time i had seen one since my '60 700 bought in '62
Attachments
Dodge Lancer Front view Piston Ring 19 June 13
Dodge Lancer Front view Piston Ring 19 June 13
Dodge Lancer rear view Piston Ring 19 June 13
Dodge Lancer rear view Piston Ring 19 June 13
'62 Corvair Monza 900
'65 Corvair 4 door Monza
'82 BMW 635 CSi
'83 Mini mark 3
'78 Volks Wagen Beetle
All for the love and compassion of CORVAIRS FOREVER
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I really didn't know anything about the Dodge Lancer, I guess because it had a very short production life. So I did a little research, and here is what I found...

The car in your pictures was apparently a South African version with right-hand drive, as described below.

The name "Dodge Lancer" was actually used in three different cars, at three different times in Chrysler production history: 1955–1959, 1961–1962, and 1985–1989. The car you are referring to was only produced by Chrysler through the Dodge motor division in 1961-1962.
Wikipedia wrote:Image

Dodge Lancer

Production: 1961–1962
Assembly: United States: Detroit, Michigan; Hamtramck, Michigan; Los Angeles, California; Newark, Delaware; St. Louis, Missouri; Mexico: Mexico City; Switzerland: AMAG Automobil- und Motoren, Schinznach
Class: Compact
Body style: 2-door hardtop, 2-door sedan, 4-door sedan, 4-door station wagon
Layout: FR layout
Platform: A-body
Engine: 170 cu in (2.8 l) Slant-6, 225 cu in (3.7 l) Slant-6
Transmission: 3-speed manual, 3-speed A904 automatic
Related: Plymouth Valiant, Chrysler Valiant

For the 1961 model year, Dodge applied the Lancer nameplate to its higher-priced, upmarket badge-engineered clone of Chrysler's very popular Valiant compact. The model was introduced when Chrysler officially assigned the Valiant to Plymouth division for 1961, leaving Dodge dealers without a compact to sell. All the same body variants available on the Valiant were also available on the Lancer: 2- and 4-door sedans, 2-door coupes, and 4-door wagons.

Styling and Trim

1961 Dodge Lancer 770 Station Wagon

The Lancer wheelbase and body shell were identical to those of the Valiant, but interior and exterior trim were fancier on the Lancer. Lancers featured round taillights and a full-width grille, instead of the Valiant's cat's-eye taillights and central grille. For 1961, trim levels were the basic 170 and the premium 770. In 1961, the 2-door hardtop was marketed as the Lancer 770 Sports Coupe, essentially a "performance appearance package". For 1962, the Sports Coupe was given the more concise model name of GT and carried premium trim; 2-tone paint was available and instead of the front bench seat, there were two bucket seats.

Also for the 1962 model, "Lancer GT" medallions were mounted on the doors' interior trim panels below the vent window and on the sides of the front fenders just aft of the headlamps. "GT" emblems were placed on the hood, the deck lid, and on the vinyl dash pad. The headlamp bezels and the grille's horizontal slats were blacked-out. The GT also lacked certain ornamentation found on the 170s and 770s such as the "Lancer" door scripts, the slanted chrome hash marks on the lower quarter panels, and the hook-ended stainless steel door-to-fender spears.

Powertrains

The Lancer used the slant-6 engine. The base engine was the 170 cu in (2.8 l) unit, rated at 101 bhp (75 kW). The optional power package consisted of the larger 225 cu in (3.7 l) engine, rated at 145 bhp (108 kW). After the start of the 1961 model year, a die-cast aluminum version of the 225 engine block was made available. The aluminum 225 weighed 45 pounds (20 kg) less than the iron 170 and 80 pounds (36 kg) less than the iron 225. Any of the available engines could be equipped at the dealer with Chrysler's Hyper Pak parts kit for a significant power upgrade: the 170 Hyper Pak's published output was 148 bhp (110 kW), while the 225 Hyper Pak's was 196 bhp (146 kW). The Hyper-Pak shaved more than four seconds off the 0 to 60 mph (97 km/h) time versus the standard 225, and was over a second quicker and seven miles per hour faster in the quarter mile.[1] With the Hyper Pak, a 225 Lancer could go from 0 to 60 mph (97 km/h) in 8.6 seconds and turn in a standing quarter mile time of 16.4 seconds.

Transmission options were a Chrysler-built A903 3-speed manual with the shifter on the floor in 1961 and on the steering column in 1962, or a pushbutton-operated A904 Torqueflite 3-speed automatic.

Sales
Lancer sales did not meet expectations and sold about half as well as the Valiant. As a late part of the total redesign of Dodge's compact car for 1963, the Lancer name was discontinued. Dodge compacts for 1963 through 1976 were named Dart, a name that had previously been assigned to a larger car produced by Dodge from 1960 to 1962.

South African Market

In South Africa, a right hand drive version of the Lancer was sold from 1961 through 1963, badged as the DeSoto Rebel not very long after the DeSoto name was discontinued in the U.S. All Rebels were equipped with the 170 cu in (2.8 l) Slant 6 engine, and most were equipped with the 3-speed manual transmission. As with the Australian RV1 and SV1 Valiants, the Rebel used the instrument cluster from the US 1961 Plymouth Valiant. White reflectors were mounted to the front bumper, in compliance with South African vehicle equipment regulations. The Rebel name was reintroduced by Chrysler South Africa in 1967 as the economy-priced Valiant Rebel.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Lancer
Brad Bodie
Robert77156

Post by Robert77156 »

I am semi new to corvairs and i dont know the differences can some one tell me the difference
VairGrl Missy
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by VairGrl Missy »

I believe there should be an "all Corvairs are AMAZING" option!!!!! :neener:
Miss
Missy Rodriguez
'61 Monza Air Vair Rose
'62 Monza Lola under construction
'63 Monza Lucy Now retired to Corvair Heaven
:EMs Rule:
VairGrl Missy
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by VairGrl Missy »

Robert77156 wrote:I am semi new to corvairs and i dont know the differences can some one tell me the difference
Howdy!!! The difference is there are two different body styles :tu:
Take a look here!!!
Attachments
The white car is an "early" body style, while the red car is a late.. The late looks quite similar to a Camaro :)
The white car is an "early" body style, while the red car is a late.. The late looks quite similar to a Camaro :)
Missy Rodriguez
'61 Monza Air Vair Rose
VairGrl Missy
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by VairGrl Missy »

VairGrl Missy wrote:
Robert77156 wrote:I am semi new to corvairs and i dont know the differences can some one tell me the difference
Howdy!!! The difference is there are two different body styles :tu:
Take a look here!!!
WELCOME, WELCOME, WELCOME!!!!!!!!! :welcome2: :welcome: :welcomeparty:
Miss
Missy Rodriguez
'61 Monza Air Vair Rose
VairGrl Missy
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by VairGrl Missy »

bbodie52 wrote:I really didn't know anything about the Dodge Lancer, I guess because it had a very short production life. So I did a little research, and here is what I found...

The car in your pictures was apparently a South African version with right-hand drive, as described below.

The name "Dodge Lancer" was actually used in three different cars, at three different times in Chrysler production history: 1955–1959, 1961–1962, and 1985–1989. The car you are referring to was only produced by Chrysler through the Dodge motor division in 1961-1962.
Wikipedia wrote:Image

Dodge Lancer

Production: 1961–1962
Assembly: United States: Detroit, Michigan; Hamtramck, Michigan; Los Angeles, California; Newark, Delaware; St. Louis, Missouri; Mexico: Mexico City; Switzerland: AMAG Automobil- und Motoren, Schinznach
Class: Compact
Body style: 2-door hardtop, 2-door sedan, 4-door sedan, 4-door station wagon
Layout: FR layout
Platform: A-body
Engine: 170 cu in (2.8 l) Slant-6, 225 cu in (3.7 l) Slant-6
Transmission: 3-speed manual, 3-speed A904 automatic
Related: Plymouth Valiant, Chrysler Valiant

For the 1961 model year, Dodge applied the Lancer nameplate to its higher-priced, upmarket badge-engineered clone of Chrysler's very popular Valiant compact. The model was introduced when Chrysler officially assigned the Valiant to Plymouth division for 1961, leaving Dodge dealers without a compact to sell. All the same body variants available on the Valiant were also available on the Lancer: 2- and 4-door sedans, 2-door coupes, and 4-door wagons.

Styling and Trim

1961 Dodge Lancer 770 Station Wagon

The Lancer wheelbase and body shell were identical to those of the Valiant, but interior and exterior trim were fancier on the Lancer. Lancers featured round taillights and a full-width grille, instead of the Valiant's cat's-eye taillights and central grille. For 1961, trim levels were the basic 170 and the premium 770. In 1961, the 2-door hardtop was marketed as the Lancer 770 Sports Coupe, essentially a "performance appearance package". For 1962, the Sports Coupe was given the more concise model name of GT and carried premium trim; 2-tone paint was available and instead of the front bench seat, there were two bucket seats.

Also for the 1962 model, "Lancer GT" medallions were mounted on the doors' interior trim panels below the vent window and on the sides of the front fenders just aft of the headlamps. "GT" emblems were placed on the hood, the deck lid, and on the vinyl dash pad. The headlamp bezels and the grille's horizontal slats were blacked-out. The GT also lacked certain ornamentation found on the 170s and 770s such as the "Lancer" door scripts, the slanted chrome hash marks on the lower quarter panels, and the hook-ended stainless steel door-to-fender spears.

Powertrains

The Lancer used the slant-6 engine. The base engine was the 170 cu in (2.8 l) unit, rated at 101 bhp (75 kW). The optional power package consisted of the larger 225 cu in (3.7 l) engine, rated at 145 bhp (108 kW). After the start of the 1961 model year, a die-cast aluminum version of the 225 engine block was made available. The aluminum 225 weighed 45 pounds (20 kg) less than the iron 170 and 80 pounds (36 kg) less than the iron 225. Any of the available engines could be equipped at the dealer with Chrysler's Hyper Pak parts kit for a significant power upgrade: the 170 Hyper Pak's published output was 148 bhp (110 kW), while the 225 Hyper Pak's was 196 bhp (146 kW). The Hyper-Pak shaved more than four seconds off the 0 to 60 mph (97 km/h) time versus the standard 225, and was over a second quicker and seven miles per hour faster in the quarter mile.[1] With the Hyper Pak, a 225 Lancer could go from 0 to 60 mph (97 km/h) in 8.6 seconds and turn in a standing quarter mile time of 16.4 seconds.

Transmission options were a Chrysler-built A903 3-speed manual with the shifter on the floor in 1961 and on the steering column in 1962, or a pushbutton-operated A904 Torqueflite 3-speed automatic.

Sales
Lancer sales did not meet expectations and sold about half as well as the Valiant. As a late part of the total redesign of Dodge's compact car for 1963, the Lancer name was discontinued. Dodge compacts for 1963 through 1976 were named Dart, a name that had previously been assigned to a larger car produced by Dodge from 1960 to 1962.

South African Market

In South Africa, a right hand drive version of the Lancer was sold from 1961 through 1963, badged as the DeSoto Rebel not very long after the DeSoto name was discontinued in the U.S. All Rebels were equipped with the 170 cu in (2.8 l) Slant 6 engine, and most were equipped with the 3-speed manual transmission. As with the Australian RV1 and SV1 Valiants, the Rebel used the instrument cluster from the US 1961 Plymouth Valiant. White reflectors were mounted to the front bumper, in compliance with South African vehicle equipment regulations. The Rebel name was reintroduced by Chrysler South Africa in 1967 as the economy-priced Valiant Rebel.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Lancer
BRAD!!!! My God!!! I love station wagons!!! (strange, I know) This white one (I jumped to post back.. and forgot what it was) is soooooooooo cool!!!! :coolphotos: :goodpost: :guitar: :woo:
THANKS!!!
Miss
Missy Rodriguez
'61 Monza Air Vair Rose
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:goodpost: With your passion for Station Wagons, maybe someday you will own a Corvair Lakewood station wagon, like the 1962 Lakewood pictured below. Twenty-eight pictures of the cleanest Lakewood Station Wagon I have ever seen. The underside is almost more beautiful than the topside! This car was for sale in Florida last year. If I had had the money... :tongue:

:chevy:
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (1).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (2).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (3).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (4).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (5).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (6).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (7).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (8).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (9).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (10).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (11).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (12).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (13).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (14).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (16).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (17).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (18).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (19).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (20).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (21).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (22).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (23).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (24).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (25).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (26).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (27).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (28).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (29).JPG
Brad Bodie
VairGrl Missy
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: LM vs. EM Debate. I dare you!

Post by VairGrl Missy »

yenkocharlie wrote:Don Yenko never built an early Stinger... LATE MODELS RULE!!!
But they also never built a late Spyder... :neener:
Miss
Missy Rodriguez
'61 Monza Air Vair Rose
VairGrl Missy
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by VairGrl Missy »

bbodie52 wrote::goodpost: With your passion for Station Wagons, maybe someday you will own a Corvair Lakewood station wagon, like the 1962 Lakewood pictured below. Twenty-eight pictures of the cleanest Lakewood Station Wagon I have ever seen. The underside is almost more beautiful than the topside! This car was for sale in Florida last year. If I had had the money... :tongue:

:chevy:
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (1).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (2).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (3).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (4).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (5).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (6).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (7).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (8).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (9).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (10).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (11).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (12).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (13).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (14).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (16).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (17).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (18).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (19).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (20).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (21).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (22).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (23).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (24).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (25).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (26).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (27).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (28).JPG
1962 Corvair Monza Lakewood Station Wagon (29).JPG
AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! You have no idea how much I want one of these... I have been looking for quite a long time!!!! Jeff had one at the Corvair Ranch but it was out of our price range :sad5: I want a Lakewood soo bad!!!!!! So if ya know of any :evil: ... haha... Thanks a bunch... now off to Craigslist I go :neener:
Miss
Missy Rodriguez
'61 Monza Air Vair Rose
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

VairGrl Missy wrote:...I want a Lakewood soo bad!!!!!!...
Well, here 'ya go... a 1961 Lakewood Station Wagon for sale in Danville, Pennsylvania. :evil: TEMPTATION!

:tongue: Only about 92 miles southwest of you. You didn't specify what your "price range" is. Tell your fiancé it would serve as a good parts chaser. Time to test your influence... ::-): At least go see it in person! :runwoohoo:
Your EM coupe needs an EM station wagon for a friend. :emfront: :emfront: Two are better than one!

Corvairs for Sale :link: http://corvairsforsale.com/corvair-for- ... 9-62007909

eBay :link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1961-Che ... 500wt_1021

1961 Chevrolet Corvair
1961 Chevrolet Corvair Lakewood

Buy it Now Price: US $7,500.00 (or Make Offer)

Item Location: Danville, Pennsylvania

Time left: Jul 19, 2013 08:01:29 PDT

Mileage: 65,398
1961 Corvair Lakewood...80 hp with PG (Power Glide) mileage is 65398 which I believe to be accurate but cannot verify. This car is solid with doors from Arizona Corvair parts and California Corvairs. Patch panels from Clarks Corvair parts. All new weather stripping through out and I added the padded dash. New fan bearing installed and generator from Clarks...runs excellent. It has 62 Monza interior installed...this was done by the previous owner. More invested in the car than I am asking, just need to make more room in the garage. Thanks for looking.
1961 Lakewood (1).jpg
1961 Lakewood (2).jpg
1961 Lakewood (3).jpg
1961 Lakewood (4).jpg
Brad Bodie

Return to “Corvair Talk”