Anything Corvair related
mart

Re: LM Corvair LED Tail Light Help Needed

Post by mart »

never had a problem ....yet
larry202br

Post by larry202br »

Any updates on the FC version? I'd like to convert mine to LED, but I don't want to modify the taillight housing, unless I have a couple of spares in case I mess one up.
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

larry202br wrote:Any updates on the FC version? I'd like to convert mine to LED, but I don't want to modify the taillight housing, unless I have a couple of spares in case I mess one up.
As far as I know the PNP LEDs I built for the FC application are still going strong. The owner passed away and the Rampy now belongs to a fellow Cactus Corvair Club member. I'll ask him at the next meeting how they are doing.

The photos show the design I created. I use 3 high-power Rebel LEDs and drive them with a constant current driver. This is the only way to get decent light from a PNP type of replacement bulb. They are not cheap to build by hand. Some vendors are finally getting a clue and now offer bulbs that are similar to my design. They are physically larger than normal filament bulbs (they need a big heat sink) so space is sometimes and issue.

As for the testing help I was looking for, I was let down by the people who agreed to test them. I wanted two people to install them in their daily drivers and show them around at meetings and such to get real life opinions and put lots of hours on them over the summer months. To date, neither person installed them. One agreed to sell me back his set (never opened the package) and I have it in a drawer. Last time I talked to the second person he had not installed them and had no plans to do so in the near future. :sad5:

I have done little LED work since moving into the new house. The lack-luster feedback on the two demo sets was not inspiring.

Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
RobErnst

Post by RobErnst »

It's been a while. Did this ever happen?
toytron

Post by toytron »

I know this is an old thread but I have used a company online for many other bulbs. superbrightleds.com
They have a lot of the bases covered. Check them out!

Ed Stevenson
Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

RobErnst wrote:It's been a while. Did this ever happen?
Yes and no. I built setups for some local club members and a few others on request but overall, the demand was not there to make it worth my time. The latest PNP LED bulbs are getting better than the earlier versions and most people just buy those because they are cheaper.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door

Return to “Corvair Talk”