Drive on the Tail of the Dragon (Tennessesse US Route 129)

Anything Corvair related
Lane66Monza

Drive on the Tail of the Dragon (Tennessesse US Route 129)

Post by Lane66Monza »

While searching for a hat commemorating my drive on the Tail of the Dragon (Tennessesse Route 129), I come across the other forum had a discussion on who had driven their Vair on this road.

Donna, myself and our 18 year old Shitzhu-Poodle poodle did the drive on October 12th, 2022. We were in Maggie Valley that week for the Vairs in the Valley function and decided to go see what the Tail of the Dragon was all about. Of course, a drive of only 66 miles made taking the :chevy: 66 More Door a natural choice for the scenic trip. We arrived at Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort about noon. We visited the store and had a nice lunch, then took off on our trip north on the Tail of the Dragon. It was a slow 3 miles at first, until a car pulled up behind us. No way was I pulling over for a new Vette. I kept him behind me with my State of Maine country hill driving skills. He never got a chance to make a pass. But at the end, I pulled long into the large parking area, knowing he would pull in short to make his fast return back. That is when I found out I had let all the smoke out of my brake pads. I elected not to set the parking brake to prevent a lock up of the rear brakes. After the needed 45 minute wait to cool down the brakes, we headed back at a slow 15 mph (limit is 35 mph) to get back to Deals Gap for a longer stop. We finally headed back to Maggie Valley about 6 pm and was able to have good brakes all the way back and throughout the rest of the weekend and the trip home.

Big hint, Vairs with drum brakes will release all their smoke from all four corners, if driven aggressively through the 11 miles. It is a slow drive back after a 45 minute cooling period and the slow drive is mandatory or risk loosing all brakes.

Knowing the excessive heat had affected the shoes and grease, bearing repack, new shoes on front brakes and bleeding was done. This did not solve the right pull I had been experiencing, new NOS drums were installed and that did not solve it either. So the Clarks front disc brake mod was done. Tear down of the wheel cylinder showed the 2 year old left cyclinder had rusted and froze in the retracted position.

Front bearings had grease that was black from heat. I had used red wheel bearing grease to pack all bearings. This necessatated rear axle bearing maintenance. I decided in interest of time to exchange the rear axle bearing assemblies with a set of built up ones I had in storage. Prior to installation, the new wheel cylinders were honed and then wiped down with NAPA Syl-Glyde grease to prevent rusting. Since the brake maintenance and modification, I have had no further brake issues. Our Vair took a 1700 mile trip to Cruisin" the Coast in Mississippi with no issues.

Fun drive on the Tail of the Dragon, but not worth all the extra work on the car.

Any one else have a Hwy 129 Tail of the Dragon Vair photos and experience they had to share?

Tail of the Dragon Route :eek:
Tail of the Dragon Route 129.jpg
Tail of the Dragon 1 resized.jpg
Tail of the Dragon 2 resized.jpg
Tail of the Dragon 3 resized.jpg
Resized_20221012_153628.jpeg
Al Lane
Southeast Georgia
1966 Coupe 110 4 spd
1966 More Door 110 PG FOR SALE
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Drive on the Tail of the Dragon (Tennessesse US Route 129)

Post by bbodie52 »

Deal's Gap to Hiawassee.jpg
1 hr 28 min (72.2 mi) via US-129 S

It's not too far from my home. Maybe I should give it a try!

I'm 71 years old... do ya think I'm too old to drive a Corvair on the Tail of the Dragon?

Maybe I should try it on the Yamaha, first! Or maybe the Hayabusa!!
Brad's Yamaha and Suzuki Motorcycles 095.jpg
Actually, I'm thinking of selling the Hayabusa... a 200 mph motorcycle always did scare me some. :oldtimer:

A Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa has a top speed of 188–194 mph... but not with me on it! :doh:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Lane66Monza

Post by Lane66Monza »

I was 3 months past my 69th birthday when I drove the Tail of the Dragon. I suspect 1st run should be in a 4 wheeled vehicle over a motorcycle at our advanced ages. But enjoy the ride whether you drive it a leisurely pace under the speed limit or aggressively watching out for sports cars, motorcycles and the law.
Al Lane
Southeast Georgia
1966 Coupe 110 4 spd
vairmech

Post by vairmech »

Ohhh, Let's see, I was 71 when I did the Tail inadvertently! I also did it in a borrowed car because mine had a rear wheel bearing say I'm not gonna make it.
As you can see in the second picture there is a lot of stuff in the car as we were going to Helen to vend. The photographers love to take pictures of the Corvairs. We saw one guy not really paying attention or bored until he saw the Vair and he literally jumped to his camera and started taking pics.
I have to say that I am now pushing 73 and have a full year of road racing planned. As long as I have my health I'm not stopping, might slow down a bit, but hey!

Ken Hand
248 613 8586
vairmech@aol.com
Corsa Past President
Corvanatics Vice Prez
Chair 2007 Detroit Convention
Co-chair 2014 Tacoma Convention
Lane66Monza

Post by Lane66Monza »

Here I am approaching 71 and Donna says the Malibu will not go onto the Tail of the Dragon Drive. She even nixed the idea of the Silverado Z71 Centennial Double Cab doing the drive. So I am thinking using the Corvair Coupe and Camaro will also be nixed also.
Al Lane
Southeast Georgia
1966 Coupe 110 4 spd
caraholic4life

Post by caraholic4life »

Back in 2009 I ran the route in my Prowler along with about fifty others at the same time.
My parents are in the one behind mine.
Attachments
Tail of .Dragon_IMG..JPG
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner

Return to “Corvair Talk”