Powerglide

Anything Corvair related
63spyder

Powerglide

Post by 63spyder »

Can I put a valve body from a late tranny on an early to Handel higher horsepower output engines. This is on my rampside and I would like to put a higher performance engine in it than the 80 horse
Attachments
IMG_1046.jpeg
113_1252.jpeg
63spyder

Re: Powerglide

Post by 63spyder »

P.S. the reason I ask is the e clip broke in my valve body, so I’m in there already. I also can’t find the parts of the clip. It drove fine but would all of a sudden drop out of high all by it self. Then I would have to shift down and back up again and I would be cruising til it shifted down again.
Attachments
113_1249.jpeg
vairmech

Post by vairmech »

LOL, you never find the parts of the E-clip. They just seem to disappear!

As far as I know you should be able to put a newer valve body on for higher clutch pack pressures. If you are in the know, you can just change out the springs also,

With that, many people just put better engines in with no issues on early PG trans and no issues.
Ken Hand
248 613 8586
vairmech@aol.com
Corsa Past President
Corvanatics Vice Prez
Chair 2007 Detroit Convention
Co-chair 2014 Tacoma Convention
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

There are more differences than just the valve body, some of the valves and passageways in the PG housing are different as well, You would be better off rebuilding your stock EM trans or upgrading to a complete LM PG trans, I would advise against mixing LM and EM parts.
RexJohnson

Post by RexJohnson »

On the Corvanatics site there is a great write up from Bob Ballew (RIP) about all things PG including how to upgrade the early ones to the higher late pressures. I printed it off and put it in a folder for quick reference.
RJ Tools Salem, OR
69 conv pulling a 66 trailer
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

I can no longer find Bob Ballew on the Corvanatics website. But it is there! Why it is hidden I do not know. If I didn't Google Bob's name and Powerglide I would not have found it. :td:

https://www.corvair.org/chapters/corvan ... ld_man.pdf
:tu:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
Wittsend

Post by Wittsend »

davemotohead wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:41 am There are more differences than just the valve body, some of the valves and passageways in the PG housing are different as well, You would be better off rebuilding your stock EM trans or upgrading to a complete LM PG trans, I would advise against mixing LM and EM parts.
I read Bob Ballew, Art Eller and I believe a third writing before I did my Powerglide. The end 'take away' as mentioned in the quote above is there were other differences beyond just the valve body. That said the trans was an early and by all indications had a late valve body (orange strip???). The car never ran so I had no idea how it worked. Thankfully I had two early transmissions to work with and fortunately it seemed what was was bad in one was good in the other. In the end I have a low power 80HP engine and figured that the early valve body was sufficient and used that.
'61 Lakewood in a coma for 50 years - now has a pulse
63spyder

Post by 63spyder »

Well, I read Bob Ballews articles and I’m going to go for it. Worse case I would put the original parts back in. Thanks for the help.
Also the ford is one I painted for my brother next to my wife’s spyder
Attachments
IMG_1039.jpeg

Return to “Corvair Talk”