$68 Autozone Alternator

Anything Corvair related
erco

$68 Autozone Alternator

Post by erco »

It's always nice to find a cheap Corvair part at your FLAPS or at their online store. Last year, Autozone.com listed a Corvair alternator but would not ship it to my home or local store in Cali. Just for fun I checked their website tonight and now they will ship to my home. I no longer need it but someone here might. Free shipping, a $10 discount code SURVEY10, and a $40 core charge gets you a 7107 alternator for $108. Assuming you can return the core at your local store, that's the cheapest alternator around at $68. Or pay Clark's $ 443.15 if you like. :)

Limited lifetime warranty is nice too.

https://www.autozone.com/batteries-star ... 120001_0_0
Attachments
alt.png
Frank DuVal

Re: $68 Autozone Alternator

Post by Frank DuVal »

I get the same results here. $68. Interesting that the price for the two bearings and brush/brush holder assembly adds to almost the same price. I always just open mine and replace needed parts. I need a cheaper parts supplier than them. Ha! :chevy: :tu: :rolling:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
isucorvair

Post by isucorvair »

I've used several of the Autozone alternators lately, it seems. All have worked just fine.

None had the right fan - but easy to swap the one off of my core.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

isucorvair wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:09 am I've used several of the Autozone alternators lately, it seems. All have worked just fine.

None had the right fan - but easy to swap the one off of my core.
Good comment! For years folks have noted the "rebuilt" Corvair alternators often have a new "incorrect" fan and pulley installed.

One more reason to just go the 10SI conversion since you have to use the Corvair 10DN front housing and pulley/fan. When on a trip I keep a spare 10SI converted unit in the trunk.
Lane66Monza

Post by Lane66Monza »

A couple years ago, I picked up a couple of 10DN alternators that look like that they had been used very little. I run 63 amp 10SI alternators, but I wanted these for the housings knowing the bearing bore area can become oversize. Then the housing needs the bearing to be shimmed or scrap the housing. A couple of spare housings don't take up much room and rest of the parts are scrapped. Fans are saved just in case, since they seem to be sort of valuable.
Al Lane
Southeast Georgia
1966 Coupe 110 4 spd
1966 More Door 110 PG FOR SALE
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

I bought one at Autozone 3 or 4 years ago. The bearings started making noise almost immediately so they swapped it under warranty. The replacement got noisy almost immediately too. They were rebuilt in Mexico IIRC.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
Lane66Monza

Post by Lane66Monza »

Thanks, Joel for that history. It will make it easy to eliminate vendors where not to buy alternators from.
Al Lane
Southeast Georgia
1966 Coupe 110 4 spd
1966 More Door 110 PG FOR SALE
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

I haven't had much luck with rebuilt alternators from Autozone or O'Reilly's. Had an Autozone one for an Elantra fail last week that was only 3 weeks old. A few months ago I had a rebuilt from O'Reilly's fail after about 1000 miles. Replaced it with a new alternator and it has about 2000 miles on it now and still working.
Lifetime warranty doesn't help a lot when you have to replace the part more often than you change oil.
If anyone knows where to get a good thermostatic fan clutch I would love to know. I've tried GM, O'Reilly's, 2 from different other brands and no luck.
Northlake, TX
RexJohnson

Post by RexJohnson »

Years ago at some GM training the instructor had a bearing out of an alternator that they had popped the seal out of. It had 3 evenly spaced balls in it. They also had a GM and aftermarket internal regulator that they had popped the cover off of. The aftermarket looked like a kids school science project where the GM one was all nice printed circuit boards. That is why I use good original regulators and ignition modules.
RJ Tools Salem, OR
69 conv pulling a 66 trailer
erco

Post by erco »

Autozone and Amazon show different fans in their pics. Who's right?
Attachments
alts.png
American Mel

Post by American Mel »

The Amazon photo is correct, but as we all know from Amazon purchases, what you see, and what you get, are NOT always the same.
Currently own: '66Monza Coupe, '67Monza Vert, '67A/C Monza Sport Sedan
Have owned: '61Monza Coupe, '62Monza Wagon, '63Spyder, '65 Corsa
Loc: WA, One mile south of Canadian border.
erco

Post by erco »

That's good news, mine came from Amazon in 2020 with the right fan. I got the very last 7107 from BBB enterprises for $52 flat, no core return. Pre Covid prices.
Attachments
my alt.jpg
Last edited by erco on Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

6203 bearings are easy to buy and install. Fit most all GM alternators up into the 90s. They also fit most of the generators! You can choose the quality level you want, instead of letting others decide for you.

The OPE (opposite pully end) or commutator end bearing for these GM alternators is MNJ471S. Fits most GM alternators from their introduction in 1963 into the 80s. Again, choose the quality level you want. Again, easy to change.

Brushes are available too RX99. Even brush holders RX99A. For the internal or external alternators (the brushes and holders are different between these models, Brushes RX103, holder RX103A).

Yes, there can be bad diodes, but it is rare. :tu:
:dogrun: :dogrun: :dogrun: :dogrun: :dogrun: :drinkinbuddy:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Frank DuVal wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:38 pm 6203 bearings are easy to buy and install. Fit most all GM alternators up into the 90s. They also fit most of the generators! You can choose the quality level you want, instead of letting others decide for you.

The OPE (opposite pully end) or commutator end bearing for these GM alternators is MNJ471S. Fits most GM alternators from their introduction in 1963 into the 80s. Again, choose the quality level you want. Again, easy to change.

Brushes are available too RX99. Even brush holders RX99A. For the internal or external alternators (the brushes and holders are different between these models, Brushes RX103, holder RX103A).

Yes, there can be bad diodes, but it is rare. :tu:
:dogrun: :dogrun: :dogrun: :dogrun: :dogrun: :drinkinbuddy:
Good comment. Years ago I noticed the "GOOD" alternator bearing set was as much as the cost of the parts stores rebuilt alternators. Needless to say the rebuilders use the least expensive parts. Also not they rarely change the bearing in the housing opposite the fan side. They just lube it.

A few years back a fellow in the club brought me six old 10DN alternators to check. Only one had a bad diode. Note you can mix them up if the color markings are gone. Always verify polarity.
jimbrandberg

Post by jimbrandberg »

For internal regulator conversions I buy Wilson alternators from O'Reillys to take apart. I've only had one that didn't want to charge and I haven't had any bearing problems. I suppose the Wilson is not their cheapest option, I haven't compared prices for a few years.
This may not be germaine to the topic since that was about rebuilt Corvair alternators. I'm just responding to the trouble with O'Reillys comment.
I will not set foot in my local Autozone since they said they will not honor my Sales Tax resale number unless I spend $500 a month. O'Reilly and/or NAPA have always come through for me.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

I don't know about your state but I believe in TX they have to accept it. It isn't up to them who pays tax.
Northlake, TX

Return to “Corvair Talk”