Car Lifts

Anything Corvair related
2LZ

Car Lifts

Post by 2LZ »

Nosing around at car lifts, mainly two post because of space limitations. Plus, I'm not interested in anything like a quickjack or something where I still have to lay on the ground. Gravity is no longer my friend. :doh:

My first impressions are that the prices range wildly for basically the same 9000 lb lifts (750.00 to 4500.00). This really makes me raise an eyebrow at some of these companies.

Who here has a lift and what's your impressions? Suggestions? Reputable companies to buy from?
"Light a fire for a man, and you heat him for a day. Light a man on fire, and you heat him for the rest of his life."
RKF

Re: Car Lifts

Post by RKF »

I also have space limitations and a low ceiling, so I went with the Bendpak MD6XP scissor lift and couldn't be happier. I have had the lift for about ten years now and have had no problems with it. If you get this lift, be sure to install 1/8 X 3 X 30" steel plates on garage floor for the rollers to ride on. Otherwise, the rollers will dig into your concrete.

https://www.bendpak.com/md-6xp/?srsltid ... BIx46XocnA
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

I have enjoyed having a lift for over 25 years. I'd estimate it has extended my ability to do heavy work on Corvairs by at least 10-15 years. I'm coming up on 70 and going strong in the heavy repair department.

Currently, I have 9000# 2-post asymmetric "Western" lifts; both purchased used but American made and ALSI certified. They're great but at 12' high, they're not suitable for your low ceiling. I like that the cables and hoses go over the top in a channel. This keeps the floor clear and adds strength when the weight of the car is on the lift. These lifts are excellent!
20210922_173623.jpg

Next: My old house had a 7000# 2-post, symmetric-arm "Rotary" lift, also purchased used and American made. This worked out well with the 10'6 ceiling height in that shop. I did have to be cautious lifting taller vehicles like my Rampside as the roof would hit the ceiling.
The lift in my old house had three drawbacks;
1) The cable and hose track was on the floor between the lift columns so getting non-running cars over the trough was a bear; I had to use a come-a-long to winch them over the hump. Getting over the hump wasn't even easy with a running car.
2) The symmetric design put the column in the middle of the door so it was VERY hard to get in and out.
3) This was an older design that had cylinders emerge out the top as the lift went up. I had to put holes in the ceiling for the cylinders to go into the attic. (!)
m (4).jpg
- If your ceiling height can accommodate a lift with the crossover track on top, that's the way to go.
- There are low-height models so that's an obvious choice.
- I never felt limited by my 7000# lift but 9000# does give you a safety margin and the ability to let your neighbor lift his pickup truck :tu: .
- Asymmetric lift arms is another obvious choice both for ease of getting in and out and reduced door damage.
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)
vairmech

Post by vairmech »

All I can say is read Craig's post!
Ken Hand
248 613 8586
vairmech@aol.com
Corsa Past President
Corvanatics Vice Prez
Chair 2007 Detroit Convention
Co-chair 2014 Tacoma Convention
toms73novass

Post by toms73novass »

Yup what craig said. I have craigs old style lift, works fine but the floor plate is a pain.
1962 700 Wagon
1963 Spyder convertable
1965 Monza
1967 UltraVan 211
2LZ

Post by 2LZ »

Excellent info gang! Thanks Craig. My shop can fit a decent height lift. It's the width I'm more concerned with. I like the idea of the lift with the beam across the top. Not just for running the power, etc...but it seems a beam across the top would really help stabilize things.....and that is a beauty of an Evening Orchid(?), '65 Corsa vert.
"Light a fire for a man, and you heat him for a day. Light a man on fire, and you heat him for the rest of his life."
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

I've bought all mine used and never paid more than $1200 for nice US made lifts unless you count my 60,000lb that I think I gave $3000 for.
If you go used just make sure they have arm locks, are asymmetrical and have the top bar. I've used an old floor plate lift with no locks and had it push the pads off the frame because of the tops flexing together.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX

Return to “Corvair Talk”