Can you flat tow a manusl trans Corvair

Anything Corvair related
rlp11

Can you flat tow a manusl trans Corvair

Post by rlp11 »

Hi

I am going to be doing some rather long distance traveling in the near future and need to know if you can flat tow, all four wheels on the road, my 64 Corvair behind my RV? It is a manual trans. 200-300 miles at a time.

Thanks
Roger Parent

64 Monza Driver
64 Monza Project
erco

Re: Can you flat tow a manusl trans Corvair

Post by erco »

I think a lot of people will say no for various technical reasons, but I did it. Many moons ago, my '67 140 4-speed broke a piston at college and I towed it 500 miles home with a generic rental tow bar that clamped to the bumpers of both cars. No special prep. No backing up. She made it just fine.
American Mel

Post by American Mel »

ABSOLUTELY YES YOU CAN ! ! !
JUST MAKE SURE IT IS IN NEUTRAL ! ! !
Due to having two pumps, you can even flat-tow a PG, though even stating that out-loud will bring some cries of "HERESY!", from the lips of some I am sure.
Currently own: '66Monza Coupe, '67Monza Vert, '67A/C Monza Sport Sedan
Have owned: '61Monza Coupe, '62Monza Wagon, '63Spyder, '65 Corsa
Loc: WA, One mile south of Canadian border.
Doug Ward

Post by Doug Ward »

Back in the 1870's, when I was slalom racing my '64 4 spd convert, I flat towed it all over the state of California. My tow bar simply bolted to the original bumper mounting holes. Corvairs track behind a tow car / truck ( mine was a Rampside) very nicely. Hard to back up though.
erco

Post by erco »

Never tried it but IIRC people used to say OF POWERGLIDES that you should stop every 50-100 and start the car for a few minutes to pump oil throughout.
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

The idea on starting a Powerglide was to cool it down. The converter spinning is what pumps air to cool it. I don't think I believe it needs cooling when towing though because the vast majority of the heat generated in a Powerglide is from converter slip. Since the rear pump runs when the wheels are moving it doesn't need any other oil circulation that I know of.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX

Return to “Corvair Talk”