Recommended Corvair Books For Newbe

Anything Corvair related
Motorman

Recommended Corvair Books For Newbe

Post by Motorman »

Howdy Corvair Lovers
Thought I might ask the experienced crowd what Corvair topic books you would recommend for someone who is new to the hobby ??
I did do a search but didn't find much. Perhaps I didn't use the right search parameters.
Thanks for your help.
bmwtodd1

Re: Recommended Corvair Books For Newbe

Post by bmwtodd1 »

The classic corvair by Bob Helt, excellent! I travel with mine, the pages are loose from reading over and over. Seth Emerson just is putting one out soon, can't wait until it's available, and Clarks Catelogs, a valuable resource. Corvantics website for manuals, and lastly join Corsa and use their resources newly made readily accessible.
64 Monza Convertible
61 Loadside
66 Mustang Fastback
54 ea BMW motorcycles
1 TR6 Special Competition Triumph
32d Free Mason, Scottish Rite Mason
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
Motorman

Post by Motorman »

Thank you Todd & Jeff. Lots of reading and research ahead. Looking forward to it.
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

This is a good book on the history of the Corvair:
history.jpeg
history.jpeg (30.43 KiB) Viewed 530 times
From Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Chevrolet-Corva ... 1583881182

Alec
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Regal Red Corsa 4 Speed Turbo Convertible
Restoration "In Progress"...
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

In addition to the factory shop manual, this book contains a great deal of performance information about the Corvair. As a teenager I read the earlier version of this book in 1970 and found it to be very valuable and informative. It is a personal favorite.
:link: https://www.amazon.com/Performance-Corv ... +to+hotrod

===========================================================================================

:idea: The books shown below made a lot of difference to me when I was starting out with working on Corvairs as a teen back in the late 1960s. I was trying to follow the shop manual, but there was still a gap in my basic knowledge that often prevented me from really grasping what was going on. I discovered this series of books that was published by the people who published Hot Rod Magazine. I really devoured the contents of each book, and as I did, the "light" came on for me in understanding how electrical systems, carburetion and ignition systems, etc. really were supposed to function. If you are interested, these books can often be purchased used on Amazon.com, eBay, etc. for only a few dollars. If you are willing to invest some reading time, you may find them to be helpful. The book series is old, but they match the technology found in vintage Corvairs and other older classic cars.
bbodie52 wrote:Classic cars had a different way of doing things in the 1950s, 1960s and earlier, when compared to modern techniques utilizing sensors and computer technology to control fuel injection and ignition systems. There was a series of books that were published in the 1960s and 1970s that focus on basic principles of automobile design and function. These books covered basics associated with carburetors, ignition systems, suspension and brakes systems, etc. When I was a teenager I read through many of these books and they gave me a good understanding of the principles and functional designs that were common in the cars that I was interested in, including the Corvair. Once I read through these books, the shop manuals made a lot more sense to me as I began to understand how things function and what I was trying to accomplish in working on my Corvair. This series was published long ago (1960s-1970s) by Petersen Publishing Company, which was also associated with Hot Rod Magazine. With titles like Petersen's Basic Cams, Valves and Exhaust Systems, Petersen's Basic Ignition and Electrical Systems, and Petersen's Basic Carburetion and Fuel Systems, I was a teenager that found myself devouring much of the series to teach myself the basics that could be applied to most 1970s and earlier vehicles. The material in those books are now somewhat dated because of the change to computer-controlled electronic fuel injection and other sophisticated technologies that have been introduced in the subsequent decades. But I do feel a Corvair owner or any classic car owner could benefit from the material in these books. Many of them are listed as available on Amazon.com. If you would like to consider the possibility of reading through some of this material, the following link may help you to find what you're looking for. The cost of these books is low, and the investment in time that you might make in reading them may help you to develop a foundation of knowledge that will help you to leap ahead in your DIY maintenance efforts on your Corvair.

:link: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... pany+basic

ebay :link: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=b ... c&_sacat=0

ImageImageImageImageImage
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Danny Joe

Post by Danny Joe »

Any of Bob Helt's books that pertain to your Corvair, buy them! You will learn things that you didn't know you needed to learn! :assault: :rafman: :tu: :tu: :tu: :woo:
'64 Spyder Convertible
'63 Rampside (to be Rotisseried)
Toney, Alabama (just outside Huntsville)
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

So BBode isn’t a teenager anymore?

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
Motorman

Post by Motorman »

Thanks for the Corvair ap. Working well.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app

Return to “Corvair Talk”