Cutting Keys

Anything Corvair related
jeffj

Cutting Keys

Post by jeffj »

Does anyone have a contact for getting ignition/door keys cut over here in the UK or in US.

Have the 4 digit number from the door barrel lock?

Keys required for a 1961 Ramp Side pick up.

Cheers
caraholic4life

Re: Cutting Keys

Post by caraholic4life »

IF there is a reputable Locksmith in your area, there is a very good chance that they should be able to cut the keys for you.

There are many different methods to "Code Cut" a new key to original specifications and as mentioned, a reputable Locksmith should be able to do the job. :my02:
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner
jeffj

Post by jeffj »

Thanks for reply.
Spoke to a local locksmith and he is going to check it out for me.
dolomitefan
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by dolomitefan »

I had some keys cut as I only had one. Of course this isn't that helpful to you as I assume you have no keys at all but if you need a guide on the blank then the chap at Timpsons used one he had for an old Rolls Royce!

If you do find someone I may be interested though as my side door lock doesn't work with the key so I assume either the lock is goosed or maybe I need a different key. I can lock it from inside but it would be easier if I had a key that works.
Mark Gibson, Staffordshire, England

1961 Corvair Greenbrier
1980 Triumph Dolomite Sprint
2009 Mazda MX5
2018 Infiniti Q30
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

In the U.S.A. some shops have the original GM blanks and computerized key machines. The shops just puts the blank in the machine, types in the GM key code and the computer takes over and makes the key. No original key is needed to copy.

In your situation the shipping would be prohibitive, however you may find a key shop that can make GM 60's keys.
caraholic4life

Post by caraholic4life »

dolomitefan wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:07 am If you do find someone I may be interested though as my side door lock doesn't work with the key so I assume either the lock is goosed or maybe I need a different key. I can lock it from inside but it would be easier if I had a key that works.
For what it is worth..... With the vehicle being as old as it is, and potentially having multiple owners over the years. It is difficult to know with any certainty that the lock cylinders in it, are in fact the ones that it was initially assembled with.

IF the lock cylinders in a given vehicle are actually the original ones, there are a couple reasons why a given key will operate in one cylinder and not another. One is the key, and another is the lock cylinder. Sometimes it is a combination of both.
The keys and tumblers in the lock cylinders are typically made from brass. Over time the keys and tumblers will wear. Typically the key will wear quicker than the tumblers.

Typically even an original factory provided key will function better in the most used lock cylinders than the ones used less often because of the wear associated with both the key and the tumblers inside the lock cylinder. A worn or poor duplicate key will typically not work as well in a cylinder that has virtually no wear in it and will work better in the cylinder where there is more wear (up to a point). Eventually the key will need to be replaced and or the lock cylinder will need to have the tumblers replaced because of the wear.

When a duplicate key is made from an original key, there is almost always a slight difference between the original and the copy.
If a copy is made from a copy, there is again likely some error which can either make the key closer to, or further off the original key specifications.

How well any given key duplicator or code machine are adjusted has a lot to do with the accuracy of any key made from it. Another variable is how accurately the individual making the key does their job. A few thousandths of an inch can make the difference if a key works well or not.
Some key machines cut a little deep or shallow, some a little to one side of center one way or another. If the individual operating the key machine inserts either key incorrectly into the machine, that will make a difference as well.
A reputable Locksmith will most likely have a better calibrated/adjusted machine and better trained people than others are likely to.
Many "hardware stores or dealers" do not check the adjustment as often as they should, some give it no thought, or do not know any better.

IF your Corvair still has the original factory installed lock cylinders in it, there should be a four digit numerical code stamped into the housing. On the glovebox, the cylinder usually needs to be removed from the housing to see it. Removing/installing the glovebox cylinder from or back into the housing is easy IF you know how to do it but very difficult and frustrating if you do not know how. These days even your reputable Locksmith may have difficulty simply because it may have been a very long time since they have needed to do the task on such an old lock.

With the four digit code in your possession, you should be able to get a quality code cut key made. I would advise that you always keep a code cut or original factory key as your spare key. This way you should always have as perfect a key as possible to have further copies made from. Use the duplicates as your daily keys so they can get worn out, broken, or lost, instead of the original key. This goes for you modern car keys as well.
Once you know the code for any of your keys (for any vehicle you own) I would suggest that you write it down and attach it to the title for it or another known safe place if titles are not issued in your state. This way it should be easy to find should the need to make another key from code again.

As a general note regarding your newer vehicle keys, especially those with encoded information built into them I would suggest the same practices of keeping an original as a spare and use a duplicate as a daily key. Quite often these days, two working keys are required in order to make reasonably priced duplicates (because of the programming needed). If you only have one working key, it is often much more expensive to have a second key made than if you have two working keys and want a third key made. If you have for some reason lost your only key for your newer vehicle with the encoded keys, all I can say it be prepared to spend a lot of cash for a new set. :banghead: :my02:

I hope what I have posted is of some help to those of you that are unclear why your keys work or don't work. I hope I have not further confused you.

The Automotive Locksmith is essentially a breed of their own these days as the automotive lock and key become more complex. I am only familiar with some of the older American automotive locks and even then I rarely have occasion to work on them these days. What do I do for a living, you might ask.....I am a Locksmith but Automotive is not my area of expertise. I know just enough to be dangerous. :think:

P.S.
Attached are representative images of the two machines I personally have at home for making keys by code if I need to. Either will make a working key however one is better than the other and I can make a key to compensate for a worn lock cylinder if needed. One is a Curtis Clipper Model 14 and the other is an HPC 1200 code machine capable of making home and commercial keys too. I have a different machine for simply making copies.
Attachments
curtis 14.jpg
curtis 14.jpg (34.89 KiB) Viewed 856 times
hpc1200.jpg
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner
steve57

Post by steve57 »

Yeah, time marches on in locksmithing. I have one those HPC 1200 machines sitting on the bench gathering dust at work. Haven’t used it in a few years. It was replaced by the computerized version that is now several years old. That Curtis Clipper looks older than than ones I used back in the early 80’s when I started in locksmithing. Now I work for a school district and it’s all just building keys and desks and file cabinets.

Sent from my iPad using Corvair Forum mobile app
Steve
Bakersfield,CA
1969 monza coupe
110, 4speed
Spike65

Post by Spike65 »

Wow haven’t seen a Curtis Clipper since I repoed cars inter 70’s. Brings back a lot of memories

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
jeffj

Post by jeffj »

My local locksmith is having trouble finding key blanks to cut new keys for my 1961 Rampside. Can anyone supply a picture of a original blank key?
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... IN&page=89

Left-click each image to enlarge for better viewing...
Corvair Key Info (1).jpg
Corvair Key Info (2).jpg
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
jeffj

Post by jeffj »

Thanks for information. Will pass this onto my locksmith.

Looks like I may have to ship the blanks over from US?

Return to “Corvair Talk”