1965 monza 110 rebuild upgrades for reliability

Anything Corvair related
Thekid314

1965 monza 110 rebuild upgrades for reliability

Post by Thekid314 »

Hi this is my first post. I bought a 1965 4door monza 110 powerglide. I beleive it has 147000 miles. I want to build a reliable engine with a slight pep in its step. So what are the best improvements to go for. Thanx
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: 1965 monza 110 rebuild upgrades for reliability

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: :welcome: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your earlier posts and tell us more about yourself. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Knowing your specific location is also useful, because knowing where you live can sometimes suggest possibilities.

I would start with a mechanical evaluation of your existing engine. A compression test of all cylinders will give you a snapshot of the mechanical condition of the pistons and rings, the valves, etc. With 147,000 miles on it the amount of wear is a concern. A compression test is relatively easy to perform and will give you some idea of the overall condition of the engine. Does a test drive reveal any performance anomalies? Do you have a maintenance history of the car? Can you post a good photograph of the engine compartment?

In addition to the factory shop manual, this book contains a great deal of performance information about the Corvair. As a teenager I read the earlier version of this book in 1970 and found it to be very valuable and informative.
:link: https://www.amazon.com/Performance-Corv ... +to+hotrod

A mechanically sound, well-tuned engine should be your first objective. The Powerglide is a two-speed transmission that is reliable but not performance-oriented. A stock, well-tuned and maintained 110 hp engine can be a solid and reliable performer. Upgrading the distributor to eliminate the points and condenser (replacing them with an electronic breakerless ignition system) can be a significant reliability upgrade that is almost maintenance-free. A recently introduced replacement Corvair distributor completely replaces the aging, worn factory distributor and includes a breakerless (magnetic trigger) electronic ignition system. With new plug wires and spark plugs such an upgrade will modernize your car ignition system to provide optimum ignition system performance and reliability.

:link: https://www.perfvair.com/stinger-ignition-distributors/

Check for Vacuum Leaks - Diagram (2).jpg

The Powerglide transmission has a good reputation for reliability, if the transmission fluid levels have been properly maintained. Is the fluid clean and red in color? If it is brown and discolored, or has a burned odor, excessive wear of the internal clutches and bands might be a problem. How does the transmission perform while driving? NOTE: Unlike most automatic transmissions, the Corvair Powerglide transmission lacks a PARK position to secure the car. The condition of the parking brake cable and pulley system is important, as this system is the only thing that prevents your parked Corvair from rolling away on a hill. A frayed front or rear cable, or a faulty pulley can fail without warning. Recommend a periodic inspection of your parking brake system following the guidance in the shop manual.

The transmission vacuum modulator has a limited lifespan. An internal leak in the diaphragm can allow transmission fluid to leak into the connecting vacuum hose. The hose (on the right side of the transmission) should be disconnected periodically and checked for signs of automatic transmission fluid inside the hose. If the modulator develops a leak it should be replaced. (See the note under item 59 on the Clark's Corvair Parts catalog page below).
Vacuum Modulator.jpg
:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... w_page=135

The harmonic balancer should be monitored for slippage and decay of the rubber component that isolates the outer ring from the center hub. If slippage is detected the harmonic balancer must be replaced.
Harmonic Balancer Decay and Slippage.jpg
Harmonic Balancer.jpg
Harmonic Balancer.jpg (26.61 KiB) Viewed 407 times

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. While the Corvair Forum can be very helpful as you work on your Corvair, having local friends and contacts in your region who are knowledgeable about the Corvair can also be very helpful. These family-friendly CORSA chapters often offer picnics, group scenic drives, technical training and assistance, car shows, and competition events that can greatly enhance your enjoyment of Corvair ownership. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers. Clark's Corvair Parts is the biggest and oldest Corvair supplier in the world. You will find a link that can provide you with a series of videos that amount to a tour of the Clark's Corvair Parts facilities. I think you will be amazed at the quality of the reproduction components they offer — particularly the interior carpeting and re-upholstery items. Parts suppliers such as this truly make our Corvair hobby possible.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Corvair Talk”