Orphaned wire

Anything Corvair related
morevair

Orphaned wire

Post by morevair »

All,

I've notice an orphaned wire under my dash (66 Corsa 4 speed 140) it comes off the main loom near the fuse block, it's black with a yellow stripe and has a single pole connector... I've looked at all of the wiring diagrams, and can't find it anywhere... Any idea what this connect to ? could it be related to back-up lights ? they have stopped working...

Any assistance it appreciated...
Jeff M. in Phoenix, AZ
1966 Corsa 140 4-speed
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Orphaned wire

Post by bbodie52 »

This is a 1965 Corsa wiring diagram (I don't have one for a 1966). There is a Black with Yellow stripe wire near the fuse block that provides power to the radio. Could that be your "Orphan"? There is a male spade connector on the fuse block near the center fuse labeled "RADIO" that could be related to that wire, if the other end is connected to the Radio.
Radio Power.jpg
Left-click the image to enlarge it for better viewing or "Pan & Scan"...
1965 Corvair Corsa Full Schematic (Rev. D).jpg
1965 Corvair Fuse List and Fuse Block.jpg
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
morevair

Post by morevair »

No, radio is operational… Hmmm...
Jeff M. in Phoenix, AZ
1966 Corsa 140 4-speed
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

First find out if it's powered all the the time, or just when the ignition key is on.

Only two yellow/black (yellow in 66) wires from the fuse box and the one with a connector was for the stock radio. I find a lot of newer radios in Corvairs and your wire may be from the old radio and somebody put in new wiring for the new radio.

In 66 most of the stripped wires became solid colors (not all). Also I've seen original wiring harnesses with a mix of solids and stripes on 66 cars so most likely there was a "changeover" mix. Colors match as in B/Y became solid Y. Also some rare harnesses as on A/C cars from 65 were used on 66 cars until they were used up. I have one of those!

Of course after all these decades I find all kind of changes by owners, even entire wire harnesses swapped!!
morevair

Post by morevair »

It's powered on both accessory and ignition on... Plus I've noticed there is no power going to any of the heater switch connections...(which since there's a power dummy in there for the backup lights. explains why they are not working..) Something I don't have a handle on feels is disconnected... Called a friend of mine... maybe he can help tracing the wires... Man, these old machines, with there history, can sometimes be a challenge...
Jeff M. in Phoenix, AZ
1966 Corsa 140 4-speed
morevair

Post by morevair »

Grammar error... meant "their history" rather than "there history"
Jeff M. in Phoenix, AZ
1966 Corsa 140 4-speed
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The heater switch wiring can be a little confusing. For a detailed description click on the following link...

Heater Fan Selector Switch Electrical
:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=9252
Brad Bodie
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

The main power to the heater control comes from a large wire (brown) that plugs onto the connector below the fuse. A green wire (striped in 65) goes from the heater switch connector to the back up lights. The heater fan goes bad and blows the fuse and you loose the back up lights. Typically folks unplug the heater and back up power wire from the fuse box so the fuse won't blow, then kludge wiring to make the back up lights work. I've seen this many times. Fix the heater fan, then the wiring.

You never answered what radio is in the car (if any). Your description of the power on at ACC and IGN indicates the wire is from the fuse box. Check to see if a yellow wire plugs into the connector below the fuse for RADIO in the fuse box. If so unplug it and see if the yellow wire no longer has power.

Yes you find a lot of kludge wiring repairs in these old cars.
morevair

Post by morevair »

66vairguy... all fuses are good, and your correct... a spaded wire (b/y wire) comes off the fuse block at the radio fuse and connects to the 3 pole connector on the back of the "AM" radio with factory speakers (green and black goes to them...) and looking closer... there is ALOT of kludge...
Jeff M. in Phoenix, AZ
1966 Corsa 140 4-speed
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

morevair wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:37 pm 66vairguy... all fuses are good, and your correct... a spaded wire (b/y wire) comes off the fuse block at the radio fuse and connects to the 3 pole connector on the back of the "AM" radio with factory speakers (green and black goes to them...) and looking closer... there is ALOT of kludge...
Yes I see a lot of creative wiring - no fun working under the dash. If you plan on cleaning up the wiring just take out the front seats. A lot more room to work.

I dismantled my dash to clean and paint. With everything out putting in a new dash wiring harness isn't difficult, but they cost!! It is nice to have a brand new fuse box though - Clark's sells M&H Electrical harnesses. AFAIK they are the only company that makes ALL the Corvair harnesses and they have the factory prints!!

BTW - the plug that goes into the grommet that mates to the trunk wiring harness plug IS IMPOSSIBLE to get into the grommet once the instrument cluster is in. You use Di-electric grease and push the plug into the grommet with a wooden assist tool via a hole the instrument cluster fills - ask me how I found that out - LOL!!
morevair

Post by morevair »

66... thanks for the heads up... taking the seats out is a really good idea... (my yoga talents aren't very good at my age to get much done under the dash as it is)... and yes I realize those harnesses are pricey... but since I'm starting from where I'm at... it may be beneficial to rid all the kludge... (I could probably chase it forever)...
Jeff M. in Phoenix, AZ
1966 Corsa 140 4-speed
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Oh - One thing about the dash wiring harness. In 65 the two speed wiper/washer was an option (although most cars had it), but the Corvair wiring harness was designed for the single speed wiper. Sooo - an extra wiring harness (just a couple of wires) was added separate from the main harness for the two speed wiper/washer. In the 1966 model year the two speed wiper/washer was made standard on all cars, BUT the additional wiper wires were still separate from the main harness.

If you need to replace that separate wiper harness you'll have to order it in addition to the main harness.
morevair

Post by morevair »

Thanks all for all the replies, by the position of the wire and it reach I’m thinking it may connect to the glove box light which is currently in operable. More investigation underway thanks again for all the replies.
Jeff M. in Phoenix, AZ
1966 Corsa 140 4-speed
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:chevy: As you can see in the wiring schematic below, the glove box light center conductor is tied to a wiring junction point in the wiring harness. The continuous power 12 VDC is provided to that junction point from the fuse block. It also powers the main light switch, dome light, brake pedal stop lamp switch, etc. The ground return is provided by the lamp socket to the chassis ground provided by the socket mount.

I attempted to arrange the picture of the switch and socket assembly to illustrate the internal electrical connectivity. The spring is always in contact with the center terminal of the bulb once it is installed in the socket. The outer metal bulb casing is in contact with the positive wire terminal. The black plastic plunger prevents the spring from contacting the metal (ground) attaching hardware until the glove compartment door is opened. When opened, the spring contacts the metal mount (chassis ground) and completes the circuit, illuminating the bulb.

Brad Bodie
morevair

Post by morevair »

As always, you’re a wealth of information Brad thanks…
Jeff M. in Phoenix, AZ
1966 Corsa 140 4-speed

Return to “Corvair Talk”