PG frustration....

Anything Corvair related
tommy44432

PG frustration....

Post by tommy44432 »

I posted in "mechanical" section but figured I'd post it here as well.

PG transmission began acting up on a trip. The longer I drove the more reluctant it was to shift from low to drive. A new modulator valve was installed. It shifted good at first but began the problem all over again. I had reverse, drive, and low...just wouldn't upshift. A rebuild was done.

Now I have reverse and low but no drive. Also it will not manually upshift to drive if I start out in low gear on the shift lever. In effect I have two neutrals. I readjusted all the linkages, the TV is okay according to the service manual. I shift cable re-installed just fine according to the service manual. I have tried two governors with no difference. I've missed something but can't for the life of me figure out what. I'm not a transmission guy so I had it done by a trans guy local to me. He's not a fly by night guy. He's been rebuilding automatics for decades. But nobody is perfect all the time. He's lost as much as I am. So what did we miss? Ideas?
64powerglide

Re: PG frustration....

Post by 64powerglide »

Have you checked the vacuum tube going to the modulator valve. Maybe a small rust through???????? Fluid level OK?? That's all I can think of unless low band needs adjusted. Had my 64 low band adjusted & under normal acceleration I can hardly feel the shift now. I was lucky enough to have a local trans shop that was owned by a guy who started in the early 60's & he's an expert with the Corvair & Pontiac Tempest's.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
b74eqcm

Post by b74eqcm »

Who did the rebuild? Sounds like something is out of place in the valve body. A broken "e" clip would delay or cause no shift from low to drive, but it would start out ok in drive, just stay in low. If the trans engages in low but not in drive, it's not likely a governor/modulator/vacuum problem.

Jim
Jim Thomas
Bethel, VT
63 Monza Coupe
tommy44432

Post by tommy44432 »

Thanks for the help. Turned out all it needed was a manual valve adjustment. Everything is fine now.
tommy44432

Post by tommy44432 »

Thanks for all the responses. Part of the issue was my misunderstanding the service manual in regards to throttle linkage adjustments. I finally figured it out when I had an epiphany at 4AM on one of those sleepless nights when something bothers you. The car is alive and well and shifts like a brand new one.

Return to “Corvair Talk”