Is this body worth saving?

Anything Corvair related
cwhunt

Is this body worth saving?

Post by cwhunt »

I am down in San Diego and recently purchased a '63 corvair to provide some parts to my current '63 Monza Spyder. My intentions were to get the parts needed for my car and then down the road fix up this car I just purchased. I just have some questions about the rot that this vehicle has.

The car does have engine (with parts missing and low compression) and drivetrain. I didn't pay too much for the vehicle, so I can definitely make up for it by pulling the engine and drive train and selling those. I just don't want to discount this car out prematurely and junk the body if it is repairable. I have some bodywork skills so I could do the work, just needing opinions if the rust is too bad to save the body.

Take a look at the pics and tell me what you think!

Drive side front of door were defrost tube sets.

Close up of the on from above.

Driver side forward side of wheel well.

On the underside of the driver's door.

Rear window lower corner on passenger side.

Thanks,
Christopher Hunt
San Diego, CA
'63 Monza Spyder

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Corvair Forum mobile app
Christopher Hunt
San Diego, CA
'63 Monza Spyder 150HP Turbo
hrm2k

Re: Is this body worth saving?

Post by hrm2k »

if you have the time, the skills and a good welder, you could save it. My 65 coupe was about like that when I started it back in the mid 90's
vintageracer

Post by vintageracer »

Given the availability of good rust-free cars on the West Coast I say NO!

For far cheaper (Less Money) than the cost of the sheet metal and labor to repair all of that rust in the car above "I" can buy a good "Rust-Free" Corvair in the San Diego area AND pay to ship it to Tennessee.

No way I spend the money, time and effort to do the rust repair needed on that Corvair.
Mike

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

What you photo is mostly cosmetic. Look closely at the underside of the car for floor, rocker and particularly subframe rust. (verticle parts just forward and aft of the floor pans is a common spot for rust thru). If the subframes are holed I would say find a better car. If they are solid then it is a matter of time and money. It can be saved, but the question becomes is it worth the effort to save a rusty car (and still have a rusty car after repair), or is it better to buy a rust free body and put the time and effort into it?
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
cwhunt

Post by cwhunt »

I purchased the vehicle mainly for the windows, trim, back seat, and other bits here and there. I definitely didn't pay too much for the vehicle, so I definitely got my money's worth out of it. I would just hate to junk the body if it could be saved or useful to someone else.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Corvair Forum mobile app
Christopher Hunt
San Diego, CA
'63 Monza Spyder 150HP Turbo
eForce

Post by eForce »

Outter panels are an easy fix and cheap. For down below, make sure the inner panel is solid as that is your structure (being a unibody)

If solid, fix the panels. Mine was way worse. In fact I made one fender with a hammer and chisel

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

My rockers in the front are about as bad and I'm not worried. I'm an east coast boy so for me that's minimal rust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Steve
1961 Corvair 700 Sedan (80hp 3spd Gasoline Heat)

Return to “Corvair Talk”