My friend's 60 coupe

Anything Corvair related
Ragtop Man

My friend's 60 coupe

Post by Ragtop Man »

This car was recently given to my friend Ray here in the local club by one of the retiring members . I asked him why Tony gave him the car and he said it was because another member left it in his shop for the last 25 years and never came back for it. I decided to let you all see a few pics of the car if you're interested and also might have some suggestions . I know the engine looks terrible and unfortunately the carbs are missing . He has cleaned the engine compartment up substantially since this picture and did his best to vacuum out the runners but I suggested he either find a way to get a scope in to the head or take them off . Any ideas on this situation? It's a pretty solid car but he's got a long way to go and he has several other projects in the works so it might be a while before he gets it going . Two of the wheels were locked up so they ended up using his forklift to carefully nudge the car around so he could get it inside . An interesting side note is that the tan building in the background across the street is the Vicari contruction company which is also home to Vicari auctions . Vicari is also heavily involved with the Cruisin the Coast event in October .
Yes, he still has more Corvairs and few VW's as well!
SteveH

Re: My friend's 60 coupe

Post by SteveH »

Ultravan!!!!
CORSA Member #034095
65 Corvair Corsa "Field Find" 140-4, 4 speed, Hardtop, Telescoping wheel. Rear Speaker
65 Corvair Corsa Automatic 140-4, Coupe
er-mine

Re: My friend's 60 toupe

Post by er-mine »

looks like a dent free body!

what a ding dang deal!
Ragtop Man

Post by Ragtop Man »

There is also a rampside on the other side of the Ultravan. He also has a 63 convertible and a 66 coupe which is running but kind of rusty. The grey coupe you see was a turbo but was in some water years back so it's a parts car now .
er-mine

Post by er-mine »

fun fun fun till yur daddy takes your turbo away!

someone was a corvair nut eh?
Ragtop Man

Post by Ragtop Man »

Yes, he has too many considering his budget and time restraints ! So I've been looking over one of Brad's older posts on another guy with a 60 coupe and one of the links shows all of the colors for 60 supposedly . viewtopic.php?f=80&t=11754&p=81011&hili ... tag#p81011
Unless I am reading this tag wrong , and I'm pretty sure it says 986, then the color code is not there . Anyone care to take a stab at decoding the tag ?
er-mine

Post by er-mine »

based on that engine bay looks like it was tasco turquiose...but the shots give several hues so maybe horizon izzit

similar charts dont aknowledge that 986 either
Attachments
1960 chips.jpg
Ragtop Man

Post by Ragtop Man »

Thanks, That's kind of strange that this paint code is not listed . I also noticed from the other thread on a 60 that the tag is somewhat different .
My buddy's tag has the 05A on the upper left side of the tag whereas the other one does not have a code there even though they are both OA.
Any info is appreciated :tu:
855r

Post by 855r »

I'd say drop the drivetrain and clean it up right. Pull the top side tin off the engine to make sure the rat nest is off the cylinder heads underneath it too. Then you can pull the spark plugs and use a shop vac to suck the intake runners backwards to pull the junk out maybe run a bottle brush in there too. Extra work now while your excited about the project will go a lot better than later on when the project is dragging on and making you tired just thinking about it.

Return to “Corvair Talk”