GEE, WALLY: Actor TONY DOW gets his 1962 CORVAIR SPYDER back!

Anything Corvair related
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

GEE, WALLY: Actor TONY DOW gets his 1962 CORVAIR SPYDER back!

Post by bbodie52 »

:tu: My son, James Bodie, recently provided a link to this story on my Facebook page...
GEE, WALLY: ACTOR TONY DOW GETS HIS 1962 CORVAIR SPYDER BACK

ENTERTAINMENT, NEWS
Posted by Craig Fitzgerald

Tony Dow is a director and a sculptor, but if you know anything about him, it’s probably his role as Wally Cleaver in the popular 1950s television series Leave It To Beaver. During the show’s run, he purchased a 1962 Chevrolet Corvair Spyder and sold it several years later. This week, he was reunited with the car, which he hopes to restore to its original specification.

Leave It To Beaver launched on CBS on October 4, 1957, where it ran for its first season. After the first season, it moved to ABC, where it would be broadcast until June 20, 1963. The show ended around the time that Jerry Mathers — who played the title character Theodore “Beaver” Cleaver — was headed off to high school. It achieved consistent ratings its entire run, but really hit its stride in syndication in the early 1980s.

The Corvair in question was Dow’s first car, purchased during the show’s original run. He drove the car for four years, until soon after the show ended. At that point, he sold the car to Alan Dadisman, who built props for Universal.

More than 50 years passed without a word about the car’s whereabouts, until the phone rang recently. “He and his wife, Lauren, received a call recently from a stranger who identified himself as Marty Tryon,” reads a piece in the San Diego Union-Tribune. “The caller…explained that a dear friend had recently passed away and had asked Marty to track down Dow, the Spyder’s former owner, and give him the Corvair. Dadisman thought the actor might like to have his first car back.”
When actor Tony Dow turned 16, he bought his first car with money he earned playing Wally Cleaver, the Beav’s big brother on “Leave It To Beaver.”

That was in 1961 and he ordered a ’62 Corvair Spyder in midnight blue with black upholstery, reverse chrome wheels and all the bells and whistles of the day.

Dow faithfully drove his Corvair for four years before selling it to Alan Dadisman, who once made props for Universal Studios.

The actor never dreamed he would see that car again, much less own it. Until, that is, he and his wife, Lauren, received a call recently from a stranger who identified himself as Marty Tryon.

The caller from Jamul explained that a dear friend had recently passed away and had asked Marty to track down Dow, the Spyder’s former owner, and give him the Corvair. Dadisman thought the actor might like to have his first car back.

“At first I thought this guy was kidding,” said Dow, who lives near Malibu. “Who keeps a car for 51 years, then goes to the effort to try to find its former owner to give it back? It was Al’s first car, too,” he added.

Not knowing in what kind of shape the Corvair would be, the Dows drove down Wednesday to meet with Tryon. They had been forewarned the car, at Dadisman’s home in Alpine, hadn’t been moved for seven years when he was ill.

Turns out, Dadisman, a retired mechanical engineer and “renaissance man,” had done a ground-up restoration in 1987, applied blue lacquer paint, new wheels, an updated dash and and a beefed-up engine. “It was gorgeous,” said Dow.“I still can’t believe it.”

On Thursday, the Dows hired a tow truck driver to transport it on a flatbed to their Topanga Canyon home where Tony plans to be behind the wheel once again. The timing was perfect. It was the couple’s 36th anniversary.
Dow remembered that it was Alan Dadisman’s first car, too. “Who keeps a car for 51 years, then goes to the effort to try to find its former owner to give it back,” Dow asked.

Marty Tryon tracked down Tony Dow, the former "Leave It To Beaver" actor, at the request of his good friend from Alpine who wanted to return this Corvair, Dow's first car, to him. — Lauren Dow

The car hadn’t moved for seven years when Dow went to look at it, because Dadisman had been ill for quite some time. Nevertheless, aside from the 1980s-era dark blue repaint, updated wheels and 180-hp turbocharged engine, he was thrilled with its condition...

...According to the San Diego Union-Tribune http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/new ... bike-ride/, Dow ordered the car in “Midnight Blue.” Chevy never offered a “Midnight Blue” in 1962, but “Twilight Blue” is probably close to that shade...
Tony Dow gets his 1962 turbocharged Corvair Spyder

Tony Dow, who played Wally Cleaver on "Leave it to Beaver," bought his first car in 1961. He now lives in Topanga Canyon with his wife Lauren. — Courtesy of Tony Dow

Image :link: http://bestride.com/news/entertainment/ ... ow-corvair

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
64powerglide

Re: GEE, WALLY: Actor TONY DOW gets his 1962 CORVAIR SPYDER back!

Post by 64powerglide »

I ordered my first new car in December of 1961, a 1962 Monza 102HP 4 speed. Spyders were not an option & neither were converts. I really don't think he ordered a Spyder in 61. Correct me if i'm wrong!!
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The article on Fox News includes a video of an interview of Tony Dow and his recently acquired Corvair...

:link: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2016/06/ ... -51-years/

Here are a few other "Hollywood Types" with a Corvair history...

JAY LENO...

:link: viewtopic.php?f=80&t=10650&p=72913&hilit=leno#p72913

MARIA MENOUNOUS...

:link: viewtopic.php?f=80&t=6405&p=43503&hilit ... nos#p43503

MARTIN MILNER...

:link: viewtopic.php?f=231&t=6956&p=46501&hilit=MILNER#p46501
Brad Bodie
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

The Spyder variant of the Corvair debuted in 1962.
©2007 PUBLICATIONS INTERNATIONAL, LTD.
The 1962, 1963, 1964 Chevrolet Corvair Monza Spyder was an efficient, high-performance sports car.

Though the Monza Spyder was announced in coupe and convertible form in February 1962, production actually began in April. Despite all that went into it, the Spyder package (RPO 690) cost only $317.45.

Kalamazoo, Mi..
er-mine

Post by er-mine »

just noticed this...how crazy!

that is awesome it came back!

I chased a Chevelle for 30 plus years. was a friends fathers and on his death his wife sold it to her mechanic...even tho I had asked to buy it frequently since they day they brought it home in 67

the mech bought it to flip... and didn't want the woman to know that.

he made 3k ...and i wasted 30 years

when i finally tracked it down...it was totally diff...color change in and out and a lesser motor

sadly i walked away w nothing after all those years
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:goodpost: I also have a long-lost Corvair that I foolishly let go around 1995, as I was preparing for retirement from the Air Force. My father bought that car in 1965 and turned it over to me as a graduation present when I graduated from a USAF tech school at Keesler AFB, MS in 1973. My pregnant wife and I had only been married just over one year and my father traded his green 1965 Corsa convertible (started out as a light blue car) to me for our old 1962 Monza coupe (in which we were married). I painted the car red in 1980 and took it with us to Kaiserslautern Germany. I let it go in Pennsylvania before my 1996 retirement from the Air Force because I felt that I lacked the time and money to do it justice — and it was deteriorating.

The photo sequence shows the Corvairs at different stages, and the Corvair Forum link at the end shows who has it now! ::-): I am kind of on standby, just in case the current owner ever decides to sell it. :pray: :dontknow: :sad: :fingerscrossed:

1965 — Edwards AFB, CA

1972 — Agoura, CA

1973 — Warner Robins, GA

1980 — Hanscom AFB, MA

My (Brad's) 65 Corsa Convertible
:link: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9363&p=63033&hilit ... ner#p63033

Brad Bodie
er-mine

Post by er-mine »

Maybe that Rascal will come around and settle back down with you !

won't that be fun.....

There a 57 Bellair A 65 El Camino and 66 Nova Super Sport clone floating around out there that I'd like to have back....You always tell these people if you ever get rid of it let you know and for whatever reason they never do
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

My buddy just went to Alabama & came back with this 66 and a quart of Moonshine. Been sitting is a barn since 1976.
Attachments
zpfile000.jpg
IMG_328966barnfind.JPG

Kalamazoo, Mi..
er-mine

Post by er-mine »

Maybe that Rascal will come around and settle back down with you !

won't that be fun.....

There is a 57 Bel a 65 El Camino and 66 Nova Super Sport clone floating around out there that I'd like to have back.

...You always tell these people if you ever get rid of em to let you know ... and for whatever reason they never do

Do you remember the name brand of the rim that's good looking
Attachments
Screenshot_2016-07-17-16-36-01.png
Last edited by er-mine on Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
er-mine

Post by er-mine »

Those barn finds always seemed like such stories, but there you go....

My 66 Nova had 26,000 miles on it
327 4bbl 4speed
410 rear end
Traction bars
Cragar's and awesome through the fender well headers
Red with flames, black interior, bucket seats ......

It was the bomb

man it hurts to think about it.....Brought it home, wife said I want a divorce

Lost the car (3 actually) ...lost my marriage

I put about 10 miles on it driving it to the guy hoo bought it and took it to the carolinas

man i miss the cars
Last edited by er-mine on Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
er-mine

Post by er-mine »

Divorce is such a wonderful thing....Especially when used as an exit strategy by your ex

Bye bye cool cars
Attachments
Screenshot_2016-07-17-18-23-08.png
Screenshot_2016-07-17-18-32-21.png
Screenshot_2016-07-17-18-33-24.png
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Couple of sweet looking rides there. When I got my license in 1960 my dad had a 57 black BelAir 4 door wagon 220 powerpack / powerglide. My girlfriend & I made good use out of it.
Attachments
Hood almost done, ran out of compound.
Hood almost done, ran out of compound.

Kalamazoo, Mi..
er-mine

Post by er-mine »

hey 64pg

lucky u....

had a 57' in 72' and i did get lucky at a drive in er two

had that copper (sunset gold) 57' for 5 months and divorce struck when i added the 66 nova. had no luck in that one!

looks like you n yur dad like black!

that dont werk well in AZ

hey get over here and polish out my 64 ..ill supply the compound ! its the right color for hot hot places
Attachments
Screenshot_2016-07-17-20-59-05.png
er-mine

Post by er-mine »

had to looky at the 220 power pack

heard of it but realized i knew nothing of what it meant

the guys below bandy it about... looks like its really a really deep subject

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showt ... id/241268/
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

er-mine wrote:...Do you remember the name brand of the rim that's good looking
Originally I put a set of Ansen Sprint wheels on that car (7x14) back in 1970. I'm pretty sure those are American Racing wheels, with center caps like those shown in the bottom image...

VNT70R
Silver w/Polished Lip

:link: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelClo ... tab=wheels

Available Rim Diameters: 15, 17"
Brad Bodie
er-mine

Post by er-mine »

Return to “Corvair Talk”