Corsa Dash

Anything Corvair related
gnrand

Corsa Dash

Post by gnrand »

I have a 66 Monza and was considering putting in a Corsa dash if I can find one. How difficult would it be to do this conversion.
Thanks,
Jeff
1965 140 Corsa
1968 140 Monza convertible 4 speed
1965 Corsa Convertible
1966 Crown V8 383 435hp
1986 Buick GN V6 600hp
cnicol

Re: Corsa Dash

Post by cnicol »

It's pretty straightforward, assuming your car is not an automatic. You need to add a wire to the fuse box for the clock and two wires+a tube to be back of the car for the tachometer and temp gauges. The temp gauge requires an expensive sending unit ("thermister"") and an adapter to fit a 110 head.
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

What Craig said.

Decades ago a Corsa instrument cluster was a common upgrade to a Monza when good used Corsa instrument clusters were available. The issue now is finding an instrument cluster with a good gauges. Typically the speedometer gears for the odometer and trip odometer are worn out. Tachometers are more robust, but in the last ten years I've seen them fail more often. The clock's usually don't work, but can be repaired or replaced with a quartz unit. Fuel, vac/pres, and temperature gauges usually work.

Instrument clusters can be repaired, but it can get expensive. Only used temperature gauge senders are available at the moment, but there is talk of a new replacement unit in the works.
gnrand

Post by gnrand »

Thanks, I will be on the look out for anything new that might come out.
1965 140 Corsa
1968 140 Monza convertible 4 speed
1965 Corsa Convertible
1966 Crown V8 383 435hp
1986 Buick GN V6 600hp
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

Don't worry about the sending units - they rarely fail electrically. At issue are the attaching threads and stud threads. (which break during removal). If the threads are good and the sending unit resistance is around 5000 ohms at room temperature, you're good to go. I have a dash/sender/adapter package if you're interested. PM for details.
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
Allan Lacki

Post by Allan Lacki »

I installed a Corsa dash on my '65 Monza several years ago, complete with all the gauges. I think the vacuum/boost gauge in the Corsa dash is next to useless, especially for a non-turbo Corvair, but I hooked mine up anyway. If you want the vacuum/boost gauge to be functional, you'll need to install a tube from the back of the gauge to the carb balance tube in the engine compartment. Clark's sells the tubing. It goes through the tunnel pan. And you'll need to add an adapter to the attach the tube to the carb balance tube. I used a standard male-and-female compression fitting. Cut a notch in the tube, soldered the male fitting over the notch, and then attached the tube using the female fitting.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Clark's sells a kit with the tubing AND the correct compression fittings to connect the vacuum gauge. I think Allan was referring to adding a fitting to the balance tube between the carburetors, which you would have to do. There were several different balance tubes used on the Corvair due to automatic, smog equipment, vacuum gauge, two carb vs. four carb, etc.

I have cut up and brazed balance tubes to get one that works.
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

When I put a Corsa dash in my '67 Monza, I created an oil pressure gauge (repurposed gas gauge) for the vacuum gauge position. I wrote that up for the Communique. There was a recent thread on CCF where I guy did something similar using the OP gauge from an 80's Monte Carlo
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
Allan Lacki

Post by Allan Lacki »

66vairguy is correct. I was referring to adding a fitting to the balance tube between the carburetors. Thanks!

Return to “Corvair Talk”