PG Transmission

Anything Corvair related
toytron

Re: PG Transmission

Post by toytron »

Make sure those parts are correct because they did not make a 67 corsa. If someone is telling you it is a corsa then you might want to question their parts too.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Corvair Forum mobile app
Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
xrotaryguy

Post by xrotaryguy »

I didn't like the PG in my vert. It was slow. It worked though. I've had clutch problems in my ctruck. Lots of chatter. And I broke a 4-spd trans due to loss of gear oil.

A PG in a truck seems like it would be fine. Trucks aren't great for spirited driving anyway. Might as well install the slow tranny.

Then again, you can't flat-tow or push start a PG.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Corvair Forum mobile app
b74eqcm

Post by b74eqcm »

Actually, you can both push start and flat tow a PG.
Jim Thomas
Bethel, VT
63 Monza Coupe
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

"Then again, you can't flat-tow or push start a PG. "

Hmm. I see reports of people flat-towing PGs all the time & for long distances. Just this week I saw a FB post of a guy who flat-towed his GB 400 miles or so. About pushing: While you can't "human-push" a PG-equipped car to start it, it's certainly possible to push start a PG with a downhill run or push from another car.
From Owner's manual:
DSCF4771.JPG
This thread is a good example of why it's recommended to get all needed parts from one car that's similar to yours so that everything is compatible. This OP is sourcing from '64 to maybe '67. Pretty much nothing on a '64 will work on a '67 and vice versa. In between those years every little part got redesigned on their own schedule so "this" part from a '65 won't necessarily work with "that" from a '66. We'll get there eventually but it's a lot simpler with a single compatible donor car. Just my humble opinion. :sad5:
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)
xrotaryguy

Post by xrotaryguy »

Wow! I've never managed to make a high speed push start in an automatic work. Does the output shaft turn the fluid pump in a PG? Evidently it works with some autos.

I don't think that 400 mile flat tow was probably a good idea.

cnicol

Post by cnicol »

Push starting an automatic depends on the specific automatic involved. Most won't. The Powerglide happens to have two fluid pumps. The front pump is operated by the engine while the rear pump is turned by the differential. When the diff spins fast enough, the rear pump builds enough pressure to "wake up" the transmission so the valve body can operate the various internal clutches. Once the forward clutch is closed by putting the shifter in "D", the transmission can turn the engine to start it.
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

"I don't think that 400 mile flat tow was probably a good idea."
Why is that?
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Lots of guys say it builds up heat in the trans. :dontknow:
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
funvairs

Post by funvairs »

A man I know in Florida has flat towed his Corvair/Powerglide equipped VW Vanagon for several years. He says that the trans fluid temp never exceeds 140°
Chris Brown

Corvanatics: Director at Large
Ultra Van Motor Coach Club Vice President
CORSA
xrotaryguy

Post by xrotaryguy »

An automatic transmission relies upon an engine-driven fluid pump to lubricate all its rotating assemblies. If the engine isn't running, the transmission isn't lubricated.

toytron

Post by toytron »

Yes, my friends and I have push started our share of cars with poweglides in our day. I didn't know the reason why it worked. Thanks for the tech info.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Corvair Forum mobile app
Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
b74eqcm

Post by b74eqcm »

Postby xrotaryguy » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:26 am
An automatic transmission relies upon an engine-driven fluid pump to lubricate all its rotating assemblies. If the engine isn't running, the transmission isn't lubricated.
Actually, many transmissions (including the Corvair Powerglide) are 2 pump transmissions, which is why you can push start it. The pump running off the differential end will build pressure enough for drive to engage. The same pump will move enough fluid to lubricate the PG when flat towing.
Jim Thomas
Bethel, VT
63 Monza Coupe
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

:goodpost: And also contrary to common thinking, a Corvair MT is not good for long term flat towing because the countershaft and speed gears are stationary (held in place by the engine/input shaft/clutch gear /countershaft /speed gear package) while the mainshaft is spinning from its connection to the differential gears. The only lube between the spinning mainshaft and the bearings and gears riding on the mainshaft is the residual oil film left from the last time the engine was running (the spinning gears distribute lube oil)
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
xrotaryguy

Post by xrotaryguy »

B74 and cnicol, thanks for the information!

eek

Post by eek »

Hello, first time posting. Just curious what would a used LM powerglide be worth?
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

Welcome to the Corvair Forum! Used PG transmissions are so durable there isn't much of a market. Having said that, a PG from a late model is the one to have since it incorporates all the little changes & improvements done over the years. IMO, it would probably bring $50 to $100
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr

Return to “Corvair Talk”