Let's see some unorthodox interior (door panels)!

Anything Corvair related
lostboy

Let's see some unorthodox interior (door panels)!

Post by lostboy »

I'm thinking about making my sedan panels out of some sort of wood, or possibly laminate. I know some people make them out of stainless or aluminum. In fact, I may outfit a lot of my interior with wood paneling. Instead of the painted or covered cardboard. As Raymond Calitri once said, "Metal is cold…ugly. Wood is warm…clean…provided by nature.” This is a picture of a beetle panel. Pretty simple but nice nonetheless. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Steve
1961 Corvair 700 Sedan (80hp 3spd Gasoline Heat)
County98

Re: Let's see some unorthodox interior (door panels)!

Post by County98 »

I'm curious to see some home made or non original interior panels also. I'm not looking for wood, put thinking of making my own from fabric.
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

'66 Corsa work in progress
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8079
recessbilly

Post by recessbilly »

I'm about to make some custom ones for the Spyder. Plan is to embroider the Monza logo on it similar to the '64 panel emblem, and make the map pocket have a stainless zipper. All black otherwise to go with the car's theme. I will post up as I progress.
1963 Monza Spyder 900 powered by a 1964 110HP and 4-speed MTX
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

County98 wrote:I'm curious to see some home made or non original interior panels also. I'm not looking for wood, put thinking of making my own from fabric.
Yeah, I have a fiend who made really nice stainless ones for a nova. He has a bead roller and all that jazz though. I just thought some dark stained paneling might look cool.

-Steve
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Here are a couple I made in the past:

In a 65 Coupe
interior (3).jpg

In another 65 coupe Crown V8 conversion. Power windows in this one so no window crank in the way The stainless edge around the inserts and the arm rests were from a late model Ford Mustang. The stainless trim was inverted and swapped left to right to attain the angles I liked.
FH000007.jpg

Construction of both sets of panels started with a sheet of luan door facing sealed with coats of exterior polyurethane. Build up from there involved varying materials including MDF, Fiberglass mat and resin, Auto Body fillers, 1/8" Masonite sheet, etc..
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
County98

Post by County98 »

Nice! I like the molded speaker pods as well. Can't seem to decide if I want to sacrifice my vents for that.
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Very nice indeed. Yeah I'm with you on the vents. I assume at speed in the summer they do their job pretty well...

-Steve
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

lostboy wrote:Yeah I'm with you on the vents. I assume at speed in the summer they do their job pretty well...
One thing that surprised me with my 65 is the lower vents work exceptionally well at slow speeds (25 mph). Sure they work great at highway speed but the windows work for me at that speed.
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

lol alright, I found an example of an EM coupe with wood panel... I dig it.
Attachments
63-corvair-700-12.jpg
-Steve
County98

Post by County98 »

Go for it. If we all built the same car over and over, it would be pretty boring.
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

terribleted

Post by terribleted »

County98 wrote:Nice! I like the molded speaker pods as well. Can't seem to decide if I want to sacrifice my vents for that.
I like my floor vents and to me they are not as good a speaker location as the doors. You can mount 6" round drivers into the doors below the window cranks with little to no modification(discounting cutting the inner door and door panel to fit the speaker). Deep magnets may require spacing out for window clearance. The molded pods were of course for visual appeal as well as to point the sound more toward the front seat passengers.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

lostboy

Post by lostboy »

County98 wrote:Go for it. If we all built the same car over and over, it would be pretty boring.
That is so very true!

-Steve
County98

Post by County98 »

Old post, but I'm doing research. Terribleted, how do you handle the wiring from the doors to body?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Corvair Forum mobile app
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

terribleted

Post by terribleted »

I used an aftermarket rubber wire protector. Was an accordioned rubber tube with grommet like ends. Drill hole in door and post and run wire thru tube. I have also done it with good quality flexible insulation wire with grommets at the holes and no cover. It would also be possible to use some salvage wire loom covers from a late model car but most are kinda big for only 1 speaker wire pair. Here is a link to something I just googled (door wire protector) similar to what I used (mine were straight..these might be even better). https://jet.com/product/detail/0b177e9d ... gQod_oYA5w

Edit just found another link...these look like the ones I used. http://www.4wheelparts.com/Doors-Door-A ... gQod68kApw

County98

Post by County98 »

Cool. Thanks! Funny it would be Jeep parts, I must have been on that site 100 times. You don't happen to have a pic of a done one, do you? Like to see where you drilled through for a visual.

Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

terribleted

Post by terribleted »

County98 wrote:Cool. Thanks! Funny it would be Jeep parts, I must have been on that site 100 times. You don't happen to have a pic of a done one, do you? Like to see where you drilled through for a visual.

I do not believe I have a detail photo. You just need to take the wire loom and drill for it so that it sits well and you are drilling a good spot in the door. Thinner areas generally better, and access into the interior at the post is most critical. the door is a thin layer to the inside. but, there are places in the post that minimize drilling and going through dead space between multiple layers of steel.

Return to “Corvair Talk”