just a question on models

Anything Corvair related
Hank_jackson
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

just a question on models

Post by Hank_jackson »

good afternoon all

was sitting around having a cocktail with some friends and one asked me how many models were produced?

so my question is if you owned one of every model of every year how many vairs would you own?

Hank
Scott H
Site Admin

Re: just a question on models

Post by Scott H »

I came up with 78
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

I found 74 if I counted right. This says U.S. made. Then it says includes 4 with Spyder option on the EM's. So that's 78. Had to add those 4 after I read it again. Were their any foreign made??
https://www.corvair.org/index.php?optio ... Itemid=215" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

Interesting. I am a little hazy on the foreign made cars. My understand is that Mexico and South Africa were involved but they were some of the same models. If you are asking if any Spiders were foriegn made, my gut reaction would say no. It seems to me that the one's that were foreign made were an attempt by GM to be more utilitarian. So I am thinking the 500 model and four doors were the only one's made abroad. But i could be wrong.
Harley is now sort of doing the same thing. They are producing smaller bikes in India and seem to be trying to appeal to a younger and more utilitarian global market. They are doing pretty good on the stock market and insiders are talking about a possible buy out. May be a good investment right now.
1966-Corsa-GT-180

Post by 1966-Corsa-GT-180 »

74 according to the production statistics on https://www.corvair.org/index.php/histo ... production
Spyder was a designated separate model only one year - 1964. Model numbers are determined by the V.I.N code prefix set. Since the Spyder has the fabulous Turbo engine, special instrumentation and the legendary "Spyder" name beneath the Monza Cross many believe it is a model on it's own. It sure made an impression, that's for sure! Much like Pontiac's GTO - which was also an option on the Tempest to begin with....
No different really than the Corsa model having the optional Turbo-Charged engine RPO-L87
Corsa is counted as a single model - 10737 for the hardtop coupe and 10767 for the convertible. In the technical manual regarding these they are called 10700 series. 10500 is the Late Model Monza series and 10100 the 500 series.
Danny Davis driving "air cooled" since the 1960s...
Pierce County, Washington, U.S.A. (near Tacoma) 2O6-643-67I8
Corvairs NorthWest, North Cascades Corvairs, Corvanatics, CORSA Western Director
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

No Spyder's when I got my first Corvair in early 62 then they ticked me off as the introduced the convert & the Spyder option later in the spring of 62. As you said that was just an option early on.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..

Return to “Corvair Talk”