Engine Shrouds

Anything Corvair related
Gridlockd

Engine Shrouds

Post by Gridlockd »

Just a quick question, My engine shroud and one of the side pieces is rusted through and unusable. are all corvair shrouds the same from 60 to 69? what about the rest of the engine gasket holder pieces? or does it need to be specific to my engine year model?

Thanks for all replies!

John
terribleted

Re: Engine Shrouds

Post by terribleted »

What year car and what engine is in it. Automatic trans or stick shift.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Engine Shrouds

Post by bbodie52 »

Shrouds vary by model year and engine configuration. Different cutouts and shapes exist for two or four carburetors, Positive Crankcase Ventilation, automatic choke, different sizes of oil coolers, to accommodate an automatic transmission, etc. The perimeter shrouds are different for Early Model (1960-1964) and Late Model (1965-1969) because of the differences in body style and engine compartment shape. Shrouds were changed to accommodate air conditioning, smog pumps, and turbochargers. A fan belt guide was added when magnesium cooling fans were introduced to aid in fan belt retention, and the top shroud was changed to provide mounting points. And so it goes...

If you need replacement components, I would suggest contacting the Corvair Ranch in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. They have been providing Corvair owners with good used parts for many years and they have a large inventory. They will know what questions to ask to ensure that you get the correct parts.

:link: http://www.corvairranch.com/

1079 Bon-Ox Road, ​Gettysburg, ​PA. 17325 USA
​Phone: (717) 624-2805
Fax us by the same number... ask us to hook up the machine
​Email: corvairranch@embarqmail.com
Our hours are Monday thru Friday 9 to 5, Saturday 9 to 12
or contact us for an appointment.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Corvair Talk”