Corvair

Anything Corvair related
Kwilkerson1734

Corvair

Post by Kwilkerson1734 »

I have got a 1962 corvair monza 900 and it won't pull itself, I was driving one day and I came to a stop and let of the clutch and I gave it has but it wouldn't go nowhere I don't know what's working with it maybe you do. Please email me at kwilkerson1734@gmail
Duane in Bakersfield

Re: Corvair

Post by Duane in Bakersfield »

Yeah, right. Then my email address will be added to every spam list known to man!
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The problem could be in the clutch or transaxle — perhaps in the differential. Does shifting to other gears make any difference in establishing a drive force between the engine and the rear wheels?
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Kwilkerson1734

Post by Kwilkerson1734 »

I'm not sure what you mean, but it won't pull itself so I'm not sure.
Duane in Bakersfield

Post by Duane in Bakersfield »

Are you sure the engine is running?
Kwilkerson1734

Post by Kwilkerson1734 »

Yea it cranks right up but t won't pull
Nickshu

Post by Nickshu »

Broken transmission input shaft is a possibility. Regardless none of these suggestions are fixable in the car beyond just a broken clutch cable, broken shift linkage, or a broken u-joint (or two). Get the drivetrain out, get it apart and the problem will be obvious.
Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - SOLD ON BRING A TRAILER 4/30/2019 - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Thanks to all the awesome CCF, CF, COG, and CORSA members who helped me with the restoration!
steve57

Post by steve57 »

You need to tell us where you are located. Maybe someone near you can help diagnose your problem.
Steve
Bakersfield,CA
1969 monza coupe
110, 4speed
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

When you stopped did you have the transmission in neutral? If you did your shift linkage might have came apart. Was there any noise when you let the clutch out?? I would start by checking the linkage to find out if it's going into gear. Check at the transmission & the shift lever.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

If there seems to be a disconnect between the running engine and the rear wheels, the problem could be serious. The link below will guide you to some websites from which you can download shop manuals and other technical guides in Adobe Reader (.pdf) format for free. If you study the illustrations in some of the shop manuals it will help you to better understand the path that the power takes as it travels from the engine to the rear wheels.

A long steel shaft, called an input shaft, connects the clutch to the transmission gears. If it is broken, no engine power will reach the transmission. There could also be an internal fault inside the transmission, or a failure inside the differential. Finally, you could have a broken axle or universal joint between the sides of the differential and the rear wheels. IF an axle is broken on either side, the broken side will spin freely, and the internal differential components will prevent power from reaching the side that is not broken.

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself, your Corvair, and your goals for your Corvair. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you and your Corvair will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Pictures are great too, because pictures of your Corvair will help us to visualize where you are with your Corvair and its condition at the present time. Knowing your location is also useful, because knowing where you live can sometimes suggest possibilities to resolve some issues or problems.

This is part of the problem in assisting you over the Internet. We don't know anything about your mechanical knowledge or skills. Without knowing something about your mechanical background and capabilities, we cannot adjust our answers to match your existing knowledge, understanding, and skill set. We don't even know where you live, so it is hard to make suggestions that might include local Corvair clubs and Corvair owners, or local Corvair mechanics who might help you in troubleshooting and correcting your problem.

The websites listed at this link may also be helpful to you...

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

Corvair Forum :link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007
Brad Bodie
notched

Post by notched »

The internal splines on the differential pinion shaft (the one the pinion gear is pressed onto) are known to wear out and then fail causing what you described.
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
Kwilkerson1734

Post by Kwilkerson1734 »

I live in goodlettsville tn and I wanted to get the corvair running and driving I would also like to have it as a daily driver
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

If the transaxle is faulty it may need to be repaired or replaced. The first step is to determine the source of the fault. If it is a broken transaxle you would need to be able to raise the car on jack stands, lower the engine and transaxle from the car, separate the engine from the transaxle, and then repair or replace the bad component. Do you have the capability to do that?

You might be able to find some help if you can locate some local members of CORSA (Corvair Society of America). There are several club chapters in Tennessee, but as far as I can tell the active chapters are all in eastern Tennessee, near Knoxville or Chattanooga (150-200 miles). I cannot tell if the Nashville chapter is active anymore, and they don't have a website. The only information I had on them is listed below, with Wayne Stutts (age 76) as the point of contact. His phone number, address in south Nashville, and email address are listed below. He may be able to provide you with some information on local Corvair contacts, mechanics, or perhaps some experienced owners who might be willing to look at your car to help you to figure out what is wrong with it.

CORSA Chapter Locator - Music City Corvair Club
Chapter ID: 371
Organization Name: Music City Corvair Club (65 Miles)
Street Address (Primary): 2416 Ravine Dr., Nashville, TN 37217
President: Jonathan Ogburn
Vice President: David Bennett
Secretary: Phil Spainhour
Treasurer: Tac Collins
Newsletter Editor: Phil Spainhour
Newsletter Name: Hot Air News
Email (Primary): wayne.stutts@comcast.net
Contact Person: Wayne Stutts
2416 Ravine Dr., Nashville, TN 37217
Phone: 615-360-2220
Brad Bodie
Corventure Dave

Post by Corventure Dave »

Check the axle shafts where they go into the u-joint yokes. The splines in the yokes have been known to give out. Then one axle wont be able to turn and the vehicle will stand still. Easy fix with a new u-joint to axle yoke, and first thing to check.

Corventure dave
Kwilkerson1734

Post by Kwilkerson1734 »

wgere are the u joints and splines at
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The attached shop manual section contains several illustrations that show the universal joints, rear axle assemblies (with the splined ends with universal joint yokes). Recommend you look over this shop manual section.
Attachments
1961 Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 6c - Rear Axle.pdf
1961 Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 6c - Rear Axle
(1.17 MiB) Downloaded 22 times
Brad Bodie

Return to “Corvair Talk”