Anything Corvair related

Random Guy: 'What type of car is that?' You: 'Its a Chevy Corvair' Random Guy:

Never heard of it
11%
Dont they flip over?
26%
Dont they burst into flames?
9%
Dont they flip over THEN burst into flames?
9%
Yeah, my friends Dads neighbour once spoke to a guy who owned one
30%
Doesnt look like a Corvette to me
15%

Total votes: 46

SteveH

Re: Random Guy Poll

Post by SteveH »

Ha! Nader made our cars more AFFORDABLE. It is fine with me, all them other folks can play with their 15-30K Chevelles and Cameros..... I'll stick with my sub 10K Corvair
CORSA Member #034095
65 Corvair Corsa "Field Find" 140-4, 4 speed, Hardtop, Telescoping wheel. Rear Speaker
65 Corvair Corsa Automatic 140-4, Coupe
Rons64

Post by Rons64 »

I like it when we have ours at a car show and people walk up to it - usually older guys (my age or older) - stand there and just smile. I ask them if they had one and the stories begin. My wife had one, my neighbor had one, my dad had one, or we had one when I was a kid. Those tales are always told with affection and warmth. You can tell before they say a word that it takes them back to a simpler time. Then of course there are those younger people who just don't believe what they're seeing. One young lady asked me to open the trunk so that she could see that there was no engine there - she just couldn't get the rear engine thing. It's always interesting and fun.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:goodpost: I think you nailed a lot of it right there! :tu:

And for the older guys and gals who actually own one (or more), the Corvair helps them to revisit their youth. That had something to do with my wife and I buying our current 1966 Corsa convertible in 2012 for our 40th wedding anniversary, after 17 years without a Corvair.

::-):
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Fast Eddie
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by Fast Eddie »

Said in complete astonishment"The engines in the back!...get the @#%$ outta here..Really?"
If it aint broke, give me a minute
Danny Joe

Post by Danny Joe »

I went to the local WalMart and parked by the automotive dept. When I came out, one of the technicians (can't call them mechanics, for sure!) asked me what it was. I just told him it was a Chevrolet, and he just goes no really, what is it? So I assured him that yes, it was made by Chevrolet.

The funniest thing was that when I came out I had some stuff to put in the trunk, and the motor was running when he asked me for verification that the motor is in the back. I assumed that he watched me put my bags in the trunk.

It's not surprising that a lot of people ask who made it, as it does not say Chevrolet anywhere on the car. The bowtie on the front trim is rather small and kind of beaten up on mine.
'64 Spyder Convertible
'63 Rampside (to be Rotisseried)
Toney, Alabama (just outside Huntsville)
Fast Eddie
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by Fast Eddie »

Once at a car show at a Chevy dealer, a employee was lookin at my car when she said "I see you have a fire extinguisher but no roll bar."
I said "Well I was hoping it wouldn't catch fire and roll over at the same time."
If it aint broke, give me a minute
jaymaechtlen

Post by jaymaechtlen »

yeah, chatting with a random guy recently - said he rolled one, but he also said something about a case of beer...
'61 2dr, custom fiberglass skin, transverse mid-engine - Buick 3800 supercharged V6 - hauls!
4-speed, auto trans
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Most folks are interested in the Corvair and I'm surprised some of the younger folks know what a Corvair is.

But there is always one guy who says "Those rolled over." and I reply "Yeah I opened the garage door this morning and it was on it's roof again." - LOL. Then I just walk away.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

ROTFLMBO
CORSA Member #034095
65 Corvair Corsa "Field Find" 140-4, 4 speed, Hardtop, Telescoping wheel. Rear Speaker
65 Corvair Corsa Automatic 140-4, Coupe
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:google: :search: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

:dontknow: I had to look that up, 'cause I'm 62 and outta touch...

ROTFLMBO

Acronym: ROTFLMBO

Definition: Rolling On The Floor Laughing My Butt Off

:whoa:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
turnert7696

Post by turnert7696 »

I get a "my (insert family member or friend) had one of these years ago!" almost every time I stop at a gas station. The most recent was from a guy on a Harley. We spent about 20 minutes talking about the thing. Good thing it was almost midnight, and no one was waiting in line to get gas!
Datsolow

Post by Datsolow »

Here in uk it's never recognized as Chevrolet , I recently took her to my local MOT station all the testers came out and only one guy guessed correct . These guys know all makes and were amazed of a rear air cooled engine .
Downside it failed brake test front drivers side rear passenger side brake not working . Just ordered new cylinders and shoes . Can't wait to get mobile
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Datsolow wrote:Downside it failed brake test front drivers side rear passenger side brake not working .
You should probably be glad it failed there and not in a panic stop situation :eek: . The MOT guys did a good job finding those issues :tu:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
Datsolow

Post by Datsolow »

cad-kid wrote:
Datsolow wrote:Downside it failed brake test front drivers side rear passenger side brake not working .
You should probably be glad it failed there and not in a panic stop situation :eek: . The MOT guys did a good job finding those issues :tu:
According to folk law it should roll over before I use the brakes . Lol :rolling:
BIGTWIN
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by BIGTWIN »

Most of the time when I called a parts house they didn't know what it was and I had to explain. I always got a reaction wherever I went though and most people were interested in knowing about it, especially the teenagers and young adult types. I recently sold mine to JDFLIGHT and I'm glad to see he's getting it out there and enjoying it. The whole time I owned it though the only other Corvairs I ever saw were at a club meet or a show. I still never see one around my area. I'll miss it and all the attention it got.
1961 Monza
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside a dog it's too dark to read."
ripper

Post by ripper »

Heard at a car show "I thought it was a Camaro that went down the assembly line backwards"

Return to “Corvair Talk”