Warning- Ca. Corvairs

Anything Corvair related
yrplace

Warning- Ca. Corvairs

Post by yrplace »

I don't like having to post something like this, but I want to let people know about the recent problems I have encountered with Ca. Corvairs, and suggest that you might want to think about having your Corvair repaired elsewhere. If this helps someone avoid the mess that shop has caused me, then it will be worth it.

In April I took my just purchased 66 Corsa Turbo Coupe to them for some minor repairs including a new rear windshield, the installation of a Clark's dual brake cylinder and a Retrosound radio. The car ended up being there for over a month..

I have used Ca. Corvairs before . In 2013 they did a full mechanical rebuild on my 64 Spyder. Fully rebuilt engine, clutch, brakes, fuel system etc. costing me around $8000. There were some problems that needed correcting, and at the time the owner redid everything till it was right or close to it. And the recent series of repairs cost me almost $1900 which I would have been happy to pay if they had done the job right. So I am a good customer who expects the job will be done right and that the shop will treat my car the way I treat it. Pretty basic stuff, and I thought that’s how they did things. But I was wrong…….

When my Corsa was ready I had the car delivered using a local flatbed car carrier. The brakes did not feel right, so I had the car looked at by another Corvair mechanic who drove the car and agreed the brakes felt "hard". When we opened the trunk to look at the brake cylinder we found that the top wasn't even latched and the reservoir was only half full. Clearly the brake work was not done properly, even though I had been assured everything had been checked and tested before the car was finished.
The service shop’s answer about the brakes was "You shouldn't put a dual brake cylinder in a 1966" which is incorrect and utter nonsense and doesn’t explain their incomplete work. They did not offer to fix it .

Worst of all, while the car was there, they somehow managed to punch a hole in the cove, probably by not being careful when swinging the lift while fixing an oil leak. Their response "why are you upset ?, there are worse looking things on the car, " I have no idea how this excuses their damaging my car (which of course they deny) , but I have pictures taken just prior to delivering the car to them showing that the cove was perfect. They also scratched the paint while replacing the rear window.

And, they failed to install the radio correctly and knocked one of the chrome buttons off the driver's door leaving it in the trunk. When questioned they insisted I must have done it. Would any Corvair owner fail to notice that one of those trim pieces was missing?

In short, this shop seems to have no quality control and the owner displays an arrogant insistence that everything they do is perfect. They don't appear to take much pride in their work and seem to have little respect for their customer’s valuable cars, refusing to accept any responsibility for the damage they did to mine.

If they are going to work on your car, I would urge you to make them inspect every inch of it before you leave it there and note any defects, dents etc. And make sure everything has been done correctly before you pay. A signed service contract showing they have insurance (like any reputable repair shop) would be a good idea as well. And pay with a credit card so you have some recourse

Pictures of the unlatched brake cylinder cover and the damage to the cove are attached along with a picture taken just before I took it to the shop showing a perfect undamaged cove.

You can draw your own conclusions, but I have since heard many other stories of incomplete and badly done repairs at this shop. Only wish I had heard those stories sooner.
Attachments
Ibefore.jpg
after.jpg
brake.jpg
IMG_4001.jpg
after (1).jpg
Bughappy

Re: Warning- Ca. Corvairs

Post by Bughappy »

Sorry to hear of your problems, I hope you can get it resolved in a fair way.

This leads me to a related question. Who are good reliable Corvair engine builders for those of us who are unable for what ever reason to re-build their own engines?
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

Where in the USA are you? there are a few good engine builders around, but need your location?
yrplace

Post by yrplace »

i am in Los angeles. california Corvairs is in Chino California
Corventure Dave

Post by Corventure Dave »

I have dealt with California Corvairs and Jeff for many years. I have never had an issue with work performed or parts acquired. As with any service
business, things can happen, but the clams in this post just do not reflect the kind of work done at California Corvairs. Something is not right here.
Things can get overlooked and with any service center, but I know that Jeff is hands on with every job and he is always busy with customers.
As for the damage to the cove. I know Jeff would never just overlook something like that. It is quite impossible to have the car lift hit that part
of the car in any lift or service position. I had owned a 2-post lift for many years and the lift arms would do severe damage if they came in contact
with the body. Perhaps this happened in transport?
I can't offer any quick solution for yrplace's post. Other than approaching these issues in a civil manner. Claiming no quality control, arrogance of the owner
and little respect for customers cars is completely out of character for this shop. I believe these statements are made out of the emotional passion of the moment because Jeff displays just the opposite with customers.
My advice to others is use caution with any service center. The shop will generate the reputation it displays by the work performed. California Corvairs
has demonstrated a professional respect for customers for the quality work that has been performed over the years. As I said things can happen, as we are all human, but Jeff oversees every aspect of his business. If he is not there for a day, the shop is closed! What shop do you know would take the time to video tape a serious oil leak and forward that to a skeptical customer? I'm sure there can a civil resolution to this issue.

Corventure Dave
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

Sorry,I was asking bughappy where he was to answer his engine build question.
Bughappy

Post by Bughappy »

HI guys, didn't mean to hi-jack this thread and I remain neutral as far as the problems stated in the first post, hopefully it is just a miscommunication thing that can be worked out. (been on both sides of that kind of thing in the past as body shop worker/owner AND customer for many years before I retired)

As for me, I live in a small town (Yerington) north east of Reno Nv. Very few 'vairs around here that I've seen so far except for new FRIEND and fellow '65 owner Ed from Fernley Nv. Age and health keeps me form wanting to start a major project like a full engine rebuild so I'm very interested in who to deal with for a QUALITY rebuild one of these days. The minor body work and prep for new paint (something I can almost do in my sleep.. lol) is all I feel I can handle these days. Interior is something I can farm out to a good shop after I finish constructing a console to my liking.

Thank the stars for this forum too as not a "vair club for many a mile around here either...
Corventure Dave

Post by Corventure Dave »

There is Mel's Vair Mart in Santa Clara Calif. He is the closest to you that I can recommend. And regardless of the OP in this post, I highly recommend California Corvairs in So. Calif.

Corventure Dave
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

I too had a bad experience of California Corvair.

My car was taken to his shop for a new convertible top.

While there, the rear of the drivers seat received a tear, my engine cover received a paint scratch. When the car was picked up, the seals on the bottom edge of the top were placed in the wrong positions so that when the windows were rolled up, the doors would not open. The inside of the car was filthy with many staples and tacks strewn about.

Jeff personally LIED to me three separate times.

The experience has left a bad thought about California Corvair and especially Jeff!!!
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
greatscott73
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by greatscott73 »

I, too, had a problem with California Corvairs. They will never see another dime of my money. I don't appreciate being sold junk, and then being lied too and called names by the owner. Worst experience I have had in the Corvair world.
Phil Dally

Post by Phil Dally »

So...out of 2115 looks between CF & CCF over four days there are two or three complaints.

I'll take those odds all day long...you complainers are just complaining to complain.

One way or another you took the wrong approach to rectify your problem.

CA Corvair has satisfied hundreds of thousands of customers.

If motohead or I don't have the part Jeff is my first call.
CA Central Coast
Vairy V8 Rides Again.
LA Angels fan since 1978
World Series Champs 2002
Only Own 10 Corvairs Today
Been Associated With Fifty!!
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

Attn: Phil Daly

If you have not had a bad experience, good for you. Those of us that did have a bad experience are required by a good conscious to alert others as to possible problems.

If you or others now choose to use a facility after the warning from those before you, please don't tell us later you were not warned.

I should also note, that in my particular case, Jeff broke the law. His shop is registered with the California Bureau of Auto Repair. Under the rules of the state agency,
should a dealer sublet work to another shop, the consumer must be notified ahead of time and agree. In my case, he told me he would install the convertible top at his shop.
I called one day to check on the progress, and was told the car was not there! When pressed for location, the person indicated the car was sublet to another shop.
This had not been agreed to and the final bill did not disclose the sublet action.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
Phil Dally

Post by Phil Dally »

If the work got done and got done right who cares whom or what shop did it.

Sounds like it got done right or you would be complaining about that too.

I'll bet there is a really simple explanation...like Jeff need help that week.

If you want to see a whole bunch of happy CA Corvair customers.

Go to the Open House this Saturday...there is even free food.
greatscott73
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by greatscott73 »

Phil, Phil, Phil…. Now you leave me no choice. When I find the elusive horn slot car lurking here in Florida ( and I will find it, its just a matter of time) I'm afraid you have left me no choice but to make my first phone call north of the border to a certain tractor driving Corvair crusher. When you see a 2017 Chinese refrigerator with remnants of horn slots in the front door stamping, you will be left wondering what could have been….
Phil Dally

Post by Phil Dally »

Okay I guess when you put it that way I'll have to admit that...I LIKE MEL TOO!!!
CA Central Coast
Vairy V8 Rides Again.
LA Angels fan since 1978
World Series Champs 2002
Only Own 10 Corvairs Today
Been Associated With Fifty!!
yrplace

Post by yrplace »

Corventure Dave wrote:I have dealt with California Corvairs and Jeff for many years. I have never had an issue with work performed or parts acquired. As with any service
business, things can happen, but the clams in this post just do not reflect the kind of work done at California Corvairs. Something is not right here.
Things can get overlooked and with any service center, but I know that Jeff is hands on with every job and he is always busy with customers.
As for the damage to the cove. I know Jeff would never just overlook something like that. It is quite impossible to have the car lift hit that part
of the car in any lift or service position. I had owned a 2-post lift for many years and the lift arms would do severe damage if they came in contact
with the body. Perhaps this happened in transport?
I can't offer any quick solution for yrplace's post. Other than approaching these issues in a civil manner. Claiming no quality control, arrogance of the owner
and little respect for customers cars is completely out of character for this shop. I believe these statements are made out of the emotional passion of the moment because Jeff displays just the opposite with customers.
My advice to others is use caution with any service center. The shop will generate the reputation it displays by the work performed. California Corvairs
has demonstrated a professional respect for customers for the quality work that has been performed over the years. As I said things can happen, as we are all human, but Jeff oversees every aspect of his business. If he is not there for a day, the shop is closed! What shop do you know would take the time to video tape a serious oil leak and forward that to a skeptical customer? I'm sure there can a civil resolution to this issue.

Corventure Dave
I am as sorry as anyone about this but the fact is not only did Jeff damage my car and do several poor and incorrect repairs, he expressed zero sympathy or understanding that I expected the work to be done right and that I didn't like getting my car back damaged. He refuses to admit that any work was done wrong, and He claimed that the transport company did the damage to the cove but since it had to have happened when he loaded the car on the flatbed (yes he drove it on there himself) why didn't he say anything? And where are the pictures he says he has that "prove" the car was't damaged when it left California Corvairs ? Unless he took a picture after it was loaded on the truck any picture he has wouldn't prove anything. And he hasn't posted any pictures at all.

Here btw is a picture showing more damage they did to my car. A scratch they did while putting in the new rear window. No admission for this scratch either.
Attachments
IMG_4016.jpg

Return to “Corvair Talk”